Northern Bergen County NJ Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjm07645

Well after over 20 years of scanning I am asking for some help and clarification at the same time. This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone on the forums. Your info has been invaluable. I used to submit some info to Justin at Bergenscanner.com but that is no longer active. After years of maintaining my own spreadsheet for the county I would just like some piece of mind about some freqs i never hear activity on. I am only monitoring analog channels in northern Bergen County. I will post below what is in my scanner. It will not let me post my spreadsheet :( If someone could verify the info or use it for themselves that would be great. Mostly it is Northern Valley and Northwest Bergen where I do not hear alot of channels. Again thanks to all who keep things up to date. Your info is very much appreciated!!! Sorry if below format looks like a mess...

Last edited by a moderator:

W2SJW

Database Admin
I'm sorry, but it's really inappropriate to post a wall of un-formated text like that.

Please save your spreadsheet as a PDF & post that instead. Most modern versions of Office will do that, as well as OpenOffice/LibreOffice.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Much! There are quite a bit of users from Bergen County here that should be able to help you out...

ten13

Premium Subscriber
That one group, starting with "NV FD," those police departments have gone to the Bergen County trunked/digital system. Fire seems to be still on analog (but probably not forever):

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1772
Interboro Police - Harrington Park, Norwood, Northvale, Closter, and Haworth Police Departments all have switched to this system. Harrington Park, Norwood and Northvale using TG 1204 Alpine, Demarest and Haworth are using TG 1202.

cjm07645

Yes I know they went digital but thought maybe they had analog for pd2 (151.055, 155.13, 151.13, 155.835) I see different PL for alot of the channels just wasnt sure they are 100% digital now.

Also while checking the forums I see Bergenfield, Tenafly are on NJ States digital system. Is this true? The rr database shows they are on their old channels but makes sense since I dont hear them.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Looks good. Just wanted to point out that I see you have the East Bergen towns who utilize 154.445 (Line 1) listed with individual PL's. As far as I can tell, the only PL being used is 146.2. I've never heard any town transmit on anything else. Also, for Cliffside Park, you may want to consider re-labeling the FG channel (501.7625), they use this as a dispatch channel and the FD simulcasts onto 154.445. Nicely

cjm07645

Thanks HT396JM. I thought so but RR database says different. Went thru the entire database and updated any changes assuming all were correct. Whatever is highlighted in yellow is confirmed that I have heard.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Bergenfield and Tenafly DPWs are on the Onevoice DMR system, through Goosetown. Allendale FD Response is 158.7975 NAC315 P25 for Fire.

onsceno

Looks good. Just wanted to point out that I see you have the East Bergen towns who utilize 154.445 (Line 1) listed with individual PL's. As far as I can tell, the only PL being used is 146.2. I've never heard any town transmit on anything else. Also, for Cliffside Park, you may want to consider re-labeling the FG channel (501.7625), they use this as a dispatch channel and the FD simulcasts onto 154.445. Nicely

Correct. All 355 (Line 3) users are on 186.2 as well.

Actually, the original scheme for the East Bergen Mutual Aid had every community using individual CTCSS tones so their police desks could hear only their traffic. The radios (we're talking MT500 and Micor/Syntor vintage) were strapped to receive all 4 frequencies in carrier squelch. In a past life, I modified dozens of MT500 portables to eliminate the PL switch. The old scheme was: Fort Lee - 127.3, Cliffside Park - 118.8, Fairview - 192.8, Edgewater - 141.3, Ridgefield - 156.7 and I forget what the PK, EC, and LE PLs were. At some point after 1996 when I left the area, the mutual aid standardized around Englewood's tone for 154.445, and I think 186.2 was Englewood Cliffs'. There are other tones for 154.280 and 153.830 in the new standard.

Thanks about 501.7625. The system has changed in the 25 years since it's been in operation, but I am it's original designer, along with the PD's (its sister system). They were both placed on a separate band because the level of interference on each of the VHF channels they replaced (154.445 and 155.610) was getting intolerable. Some towns need a half-dozen voting receivers just to reliably receive radios in an area less than 2 square miles.

That wasn't the first change. All of the towns were on 33.86 MHz until the mid-to-late-70s - except for Ridgefield. They were on 33.88. That changed because hand-held radios could not transmit out of high rise construction. The materials detuned the already inefficient antennas and absorbed much of whatever signal was left. By 1979, most went to their respective VHF high band channels (either Line 1 or Line 3 - a big thank you to Daniel "Donnie" Bridenberg, FL-56!).

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the original scheme for the East Bergen Mutual Aid had every community using individual CTCSS tones so their police desks could hear only their traffic. The radios (we're talking MT500 and Micor/Syntor vintage) were strapped to receive all 4 frequencies in carrier squelch. In a past life, I modified dozens of MT500 portables to eliminate the PL switch. The old scheme was: Fort Lee - 127.3, Cliffside Park - 118.8, Fairview - 192.8, Edgewater - 141.3, Ridgefield - 156.7 and I forget what the PK, EC, and LE PLs were. At some point after 1996 when I left the area, the mutual aid standardized around Englewood's tone for 154.445, and I think 186.2 was Englewood Cliffs'. There are other tones for 154.280 and 153.830 in the new standard.

Thanks about 501.7625. The system has changed in the 25 years since it's been in operation, but I am it's original designer, along with the PD's (its sister system). They were both placed on a separate band because the level of interference on each of the VHF channels they replaced (154.445 and 155.610) was getting intolerable. Some towns need a half-dozen voting receivers just to reliably receive radios in an area less than 2 square miles.

That wasn't the first change. All of the towns were on 33.86 MHz until the mid-to-late-70s - except for Ridgefield. They were on 33.88. That changed because hand-held radios could not transmit out of high rise construction. The materials detuned the already inefficient antennas and absorbed much of whatever signal was left. By 1979, most went to their respective VHF high band channels (either Line 1 or Line 3 - a big thank you to Daniel "Donnie" Bridenberg, FL-56!).

Any time I bring up radios around any of the older east bergen fire guys, I get a story about 33.86! Thanks for this info!

Reactions: 902

Any time I bring up radios around any of the older east bergen fire guys, I get a story about 33.86! Thanks for this info!
Some of the towns were kind of confusing. My town, Cliffside, for example, had RCA 33.86 mobiles in everything and a combination of RCA and Motorola mobiles and portables on 154.445 and 154.280 before Line 3 and 4 came into existence. You could hear the base station on 33.86 and sometimes mobiles talked back on 154.445. When I was the volunteer chief (1988), I had a high band Mitrek and a low band Maxar-80 in my POV. By then, we just about completely transitioned to high band, but could still hear Lodi, Garfield, Mahwah, USR, etc., on low band (along with Weston and Rowayton, CT, and Chester County, PA). Once in a while, I would call in on the low band if I was filling in on the ambulance. All of the low band equipment was pulled when they transitioned to T-Band. Perhaps we should have kept it. It's still on the license, so they could go back to using it if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.