Northern Cali Dept Presets/Firetruck Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmoscanner

OK, so this is not you average post but I will try to keep it 50% on radio topic.

I have been lucky enough to acquire a reserve type III wildland mini pumper from a dept that is north of the Bay Area up in Sonoma County. Here is a radio card I found with it when I took possession recently. I have whited out channels 1 and 3 to protect the dept that sold me the truck but maybe some of the other info will be useful to some of you guys out that way..... or not. I am almost computer forum illiterate so forgive me if my attached pic does not display properly.

Question for some of you firefighters out there....Can most trucks be filled from a "gravity" fed pipe or other opening to the tank commonly found in the hose bed above the tank? Until our hard suction lines arrive the only other way I see to fill up this beast is with a garden hose. Cant that even be done on most trucks?

Super thanks !
Gregg

Attachments

• NCalfirezone.jpg
    NCalfirezone.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 461

BlueZebra

The frequency sheet doesn't reveal any secrets. But it may be helpful to somebody.

As to filling your tank, most wildland engines I have been involved have some sort of direct fill (by passing the pump)plumbing. In the first half of my career it was simply a 1 1/2 pipe, with NST , welded on top of the tank. Later in my career it was a 1 1/2 connection on the pump panel, direct to the tank. The reason for direct to the tank is frequently in hoselays the pump is set, and left unattended. A water tender will come along and fill your tank. However, by going through the pump, it will affect pressures your pump is putting out. By going direct to tank, no such impact.

Some agencies have used a device that will hold a hose in the tank over flow tube on top of the tank. But haven't seen those used in quite a while. I even forget the name for the device. Today, these tank over flows are harder to get to, as the engines are taller, and more equipment is on top, in the way.

Does your pump panel not have a standard pump intake? That shouldn't require a suction, and by opening the tank filler valve, allow filling of your tank.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Why do you need a hard suction unless you plan on drafting? Tanks get filled with soft hose to the same intake you would connect the hard tube to, you should have a valve that says "pump to tank" or ""tank fill" you can open. This would be a better place to ask about that The Engineer

ksmoscanner

Yeah I was pretty sure there was nothing awesome on the card but figured it couldn't hurt to share....all the radio equip was removed from the truck except three VHF antennas on top and the wiring into the cab.

Thanks for the reply on the truck question. Yeah, I have a 2/12 inch and a 4 1/2 suction on both sides but at the farm I do not have a water supply with fittings that large so we will have to either fill from the top standpipe or draft from our ponds. Again, thanks for the info. Wish I could provide more radio related info but being in Missouri, my California radio knowledge is nonexistent.

Gregg

Eng74

If you have enough fittings and the right ones you can do anything. We have what we call an oil field set. It is iron pipe thread to national standard. In 23 years I have used it one time connecting to a private water tank out in the middle of nowhere.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Can you post a picture or 3 of the engine? Include at minimum a side view and a rear view. It is very possibly an old CDF Type 3, most types of which are named and identifiable. With that info we may be able to direct you to some decent info on your engine. There are several people on here (myself included) who can give you insights on CDF equipment.

MODS: If you feel the need, this could be moved to the Tavern or wherever is appropriate.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Given the REDCOM channels in Zone 1, it looks like you acquired it from a department in Sonoma County. Very cool! I'd also love to see photos. :)

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Yeah I was pretty sure there was nothing awesome on the card but figured it couldn't hurt to share....all the radio equip was removed from the truck except three VHF antennas on top and the wiring into the cab...Wish I could provide more radio related info but being in Missouri, my California radio knowledge is nonexistent.

Gregg

As Inigo said above, your radio card indicates that the engine came from a Sonoma County area department. Depending on the department you got it from, and perhaps some markings (if it is a ex-CDF engine), we might be able to find you some history and specs for the rig. Feel free to PM me if for some reason you don't want to post specific info in the thread. First step will be to see a visual of the engine, and see if it is a CDF type or a commercial buildup.

ksmoscanner

Thanks for all the info guys!

While I could talk about the truck for hours with you guys, I do not want to clutter the forum with unradio related postings so Iets chat via PM.

Thanks,
Gregg in KC

Status
Not open for further replies.