Northern California discussions

What type of "Radio Person" are you...??? (you may check more than 1)

• Ham

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Fire

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • Law

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • Business

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Security

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Utilities

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Family / Vacation / Travel

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • RETIRED

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am still trying to figure out what this proposal is.... If it's to divide the forum up in to more regions I am only for it if each and EVERY city, community, gathering point, hilltop, and road junction has it's own section. I think it's silly subdivided now as one must look in more that one area to catchup on what's happening in California. Oh, wait - that's how they work things in the data base here - ya can't find every frequency that's used by your favorite agency with out looking up county common channels in the county section, state common channels in the state mutual response sections. And the national stuff, I have yet to figure out where that is hiding...

I like having one state posting and do my own filtering and sorting. I have a computer after all it's powerful enough to do at least that, in between the times I have it uploading new loads into my different radios and scanners..

I guess what my computer is saying here is, it's not that broken - DON'T muck with it.

The proposal I mentioned is not related to the California forum, it is related to a sometimes mentioned proposal to include southern Oregon and northern California in a new state called "Jefferson," which would be the 51st state in the U.S. There is quite a bit of similarity between southern Oregon and northern California. Previous posts show maps of the proposed state. The proposal has received some coverage in the media of the affected area. As far as I know there isn't anyone who is really pushing the concept.

I would guess that more people list fire to describe their listening than law enforcement due to wildland fires and volunteer fire departments. I would like to hear from some other folks about why they list fire more often than law enforcement.

Last edited:

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
I like having one state posting and do my own filtering and sorting.

I don't know IF he's still alive and kicking, but Robert Kelty in San Jose has / had the best california freq directories called Gov't radio Systems...

Originally only in print form, later is also released on data disk...Each county section had ALL freqs by ALL agencies...it really was the bible of California radio tech and listeners...included PL tones for those who could use that additional info...

He later split off part of his database into a Fed freq listing as a seperate publication...

I hope he's still around...he kept a keen eye on public safety systems, having worked as a consultant on many, and IF me memory serves me right, I think he also dispatched a while...

I've not spoken with him in may years, but check it out and see if he still exists...you might like his style of freq listings...

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
The "State Of Jefferson" fizzled out the day after Pearl Harbor in 1941, when the men took down the "informational baracades", put up their guns, and all joined the US military...

The Capitol was to be Yreka (definately in California)...

The sentiment still runs strong on BOTH sides of the border, populated in large part by the remnants of the large logging and mining industries, whose folks are known to be independant thinkers...

Status
Not open for further replies.