Northern CBP Now P25 Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjf79

Well my last post re: Northern Border cbp frequencies 163.625 and 163.675 being in analog mode, well they have recently changed to P25 digital.
Over the past few days I wasnt hearing anything on thier channels with the ctcss tones on... well to my surprise they have switched to CLEAR P25 mode instead, luckly I have p25 mode.

so those of you up this way that use to listen to them with an analog scanner your SOL now

xjf79

The last time I was close to the Maine / Canadian border, 163.625 was P25 Encrypted. They had occasional "burst" transmissions (Over-the-air-rekey, I think) in the clear... but all voice was encrypted.

lost_in_maine

The last time I was close to the Maine / Canadian border, 163.625 was P25 Encrypted. They had occasional "burst" transmissions (Over-the-air-rekey, I think) in the clear... but all voice was encrypted.

Where abouts where you in Maine? Closer to Jackman?
I am in NW Mountains, near Quebec Border, and Is analog on 163.625 100.0

I have heard P25-encryption on 170.625

but at times I have heard simulcast's of the Sugarloaf Repeater (163.625) on 170.625 pl 151.4 in the clear

I was in the "Western Foothills", in the Rumford area. Not sure if I was hearing the Sugarloaf CBP repeater, or where it was. All I would here was what sounded like an MDC-1200 identifier, but it was sent somewhere like 5 to 7 times per transmission in rapid-fire. Every other time I heard anything on it, it was in P25 (I have a Pro-96), but was definitely encrypted. About five years ago, I do remember hearing that repeater in analog, with (I think) a 100.0 Hz PL tone.

ecps92

Sounds like someone had asked for a Re-Key [Encryption, DVP/DES] in analog, it sounds like MDC-1200 as you described. Many of the Maine and NH CBP are still analog [Yea] altho VT/NY has migrated to P25

I was in the "Western Foothills", in the Rumford area. Not sure if I was hearing the Sugarloaf CBP repeater, or where it was. All I would here was what sounded like an MDC-1200 identifier, but it was sent somewhere like 5 to 7 times per transmission in rapid-fire. Every other time I heard anything on it, it was in P25 (I have a Pro-96), but was definitely encrypted. About five years ago, I do remember hearing that repeater in analog, with (I think) a 100.0 Hz PL tone.

mtrdmn

About 95% of CBP traffic in Northcentral/Northeastern Montana is P25 encrypted.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I guess they are not completly secure I have been listening for about 3 weeks now and here the random stuff

alot of driver checks

I am in Oburg and I am listening to someone in colchester on I87 no clue where that is

SOFA_KING

I wonder when Florida will make the transition. :confused:

I'm waiting for CBP and ICE to start. What are they waiting for?

And what about DEA? :confused:

The only DEA area I know about that went P25 was NYC, and that was 10 years ago. Are there any other areas where DEA is P25? Will the DEA move to the new UHF bandplan? Will they just wait and join the DOJ system on VHF? We have to know, and know NOW! :twisted:

I think I'm addicted to this stuff! :D

Phil :cool:

ecps92

DEA Boston is still 50/50 Depends on "Task Force" or "True DEA"

Many of the Task Forces, have Loaner Analog Radios

The only DEA area I know about that went P25 was NYC, and that was 10 years ago. Are there any other areas where DEA is P25? Will the DEA move to the new UHF bandplan? Will they just wait and join the DOJ system on VHF? We have to know, and know NOW! :twisted:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
In San Antonio DEA has been "caught" using P25 2-3 times. They have the capability (at least a few of them do), and have done checks on a couple different channels. Usually only a couple of transmissions pass and everything is back to analog. This has been very rare, maybe once a month in the past 2-3 months, and all in the clear. It's unusual as everything has been analog here prior to these rare events (and remains 99.99% analog now).

W6KRU

Here in SoCal there is a lot of P25 CBP traffic and it is mostly encrypted with only occasional transmission in the clear.

KB1JHU

Heard "D Net 2 New York" on 169.450 NAC 301 the other day.

As far as DEA, I went on a road trip through Mass and heard 418.625 analog PL 156.7 and P25 encrypted NAC 156 in the Bolton area. Seems like a slow rollout for DEA. I'm amazed there are so many areas where DEA does surveillance ops in the clear.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
In the Pt. Huron, MI area they have been P25 for a while... Then 3 or 4 months back the 'base' side went encrypted while the mobile units were still clear. As of the last few months, pretty much all traffic has been encrypted.

SOFA_KING

Good to hear what is going on in different areas of the country. This is good news and bad news for me. The good news is I will get to hear something new in the future. The bad news is that I now have to scan both modes full time or miss the chance to hear the testing when it happens...which is the time to clean up on frequency hunting.

And as far as encryption goes, yes it is sad we are getting locked out. We get a few "crumbs" every now and then, but at least they are not frequency hopping. Now if only GRE would get the encryption mute thing going. This toilet noise is getting old! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.