Northern Kentucky Regional Communications System (NKYRCS)

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Just found this article in the new radio system:
Campbell County seeks fee increase to fix 911

Looks like Motorola won the bid, at least for the main system for $18 million. Later in the article it mentions that the price doesn't include department radios. I don't remember if it was this article or another, but one of them makes it sound like they "must" upgrade due to upcoming federal (FCC?) regs. I'm not sure what reg they're referring to.

Jeff.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
They may be referring to the FCC narrowbanding requirement that became effective January 1, 2013 (or perhaps 2012). Channel spacing went from 25 down to 12.5 KHz.

My "take" on the article is that they notice more deadspots since they went to narrowbadning.

w4rtt

If they think the have dead spots now, wait until they finally make the switch. I live in Independence and as far as I have heard, dead spots are a non issue. A few mor tower sites and combine all three counties frequencies, they could have a digital system like KSP.

Randy
W4RTT

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
radio system update

Found some updated info on the upcoming regional radio system. Looks like this was awarded to Motorola (P25 Phase 2, 700/800 mhz) and is expected to go into service by November 2018. Looking through the documents on the planning website, it looks like they are now soliciting bids for radio equipment (mobile & portable).

This link has both the award announcement (farther down the page) and one of the original information requests for radios. The award info doesn't really go into much detail. The radio request info looks like they just want to get their hands on some radios & see what they like. One thing of note, in this initial RFI, they don't seem to really "care" about encryption.

NKADD

This next link is the latest RFI (Dec 17), where they're looking for sealed bids. This one is requesting encryption capability on all radios.

Public Safety Radio System Subscriber Units

Jeff S.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
The job was awarded back in late November or early December.

I think the go live date will need to be pushed back a good bit as I have not seen anything about a contract being approved yet and once that is done they will have a LOT of work to do. They are building this system from the ground up (literally) and that is realistically going to take more than a year.

Turbotomi

Contract was awarded in June 2017. Motorola equipment was manufactured and staged in Sept 2017, The system is mostly using existing tower sites, only a few need to be built. In Kenton County, four towers will be required to be constructed.

Hop763

Premium Subscriber
Work in Boone Co. Is well underway, departments can choose between 3 radio manufacturers for there radios. There’s 10 tower sites in Boone co. With one in Indiana and one in Ohio, the 3 counties will be there own systems but with roaming so all 3 can still talk to each other.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Where are you guys getting this info from? I'd love to see the specs for the system and locations and such...

I don't remember the exact site address, but I found it by searching for "northern kentucky regional radio system" I think. I have also found info on systems (maybe not this particular one) by searching the area planning commission sites.

Jeff.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
Anyone have any updated info for the new system? My understanding is that some towers are up and buildout continues moving forward. I have not seen anything in ULS although for the new frequencies or anything referencing sites.

For those familiar with scanning these types of systems, I’m going to purchase a radio or scanner in the near future for this. What should I get? Unication G5? Bearcat or whistler scanner? A radio for NAS? Interested in hearing opinions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
This is from a Kenton County Fiscal Court meeting a few months ago.

"Paul See stated that there are towers in Devou Park, Taylor Mill, Fox Run, Ryland Heights, Visalia, at the Emergency Communications Center, Piner and Fiskburg. There are four brand new towers that are being built. They are reusing three existing towers, where they had existing leases. There is one new lease in Visalia. One of the challenges that they have seen is that the leases were written 15-20 years ago, and updating the information is very involved. Some of the other towers in the surrounding counties are close to the edge of Kenton County, and some of the Kenton County towers are close to other county's borders. This is a cost savings for the counties working together, and having a regional system. Mr. See then stated that they have been working with all the agencies on what radios will be used once the system goes live. They are advising the agencies to purchase around December of this year, with the radios being delivered in February or March. They have also been working with them on their communications plan, and how they can maximize their new system. They are looking at around May-June of 2019 to implement. The system has to be tested while under full foliage of the trees. Mr. See then showed pictures of each of the towers. Some of the new towers are being built, because the old ones can't hold all of the new equipment. Judge Knochelmann stated that whenever the weight limits were assessed, the long term fix was determined. If something was on the margin, a long term solution was done. Mr. See stated that they are looking at 15-20 years of usable life for this system."

If you are looking to scan more than just the new NKY trunked system you may want to check out the Uniden SDS100 or SDS200. The BCD436HP or BCD536HP are also great options. We don't know how bad the Linear Simulcast Modulation (LSM) issues will be for scanners yet so the Unication G4 or G5 would also be a great option to avoid most issues with that and if you only want to hear a few select talk groups on the new system the Unication would be the best choice.

We will be holding a MONIX scanner club meeting this Saturday (weather pending) at the Bellevue Donatos starting at 6pm. 15 Donnermeyer Dr, Bellevue, KY 41073. This would be a great opportunity for you to get a hands-on look at whats available. I will have a BCD436HP, Unication G4, Unication G5 and a few other older radios you can look at that will work on the new system.

Hop763

Premium Subscriber
Boone Co. Radios are being purchased and some departments have received there radios and are using them on the vhf side. Departments are buying Motorola, Kenwood, and Ericsson. One department bought Triband units, another bought dual band units, and most got single band units. Personally, I’m involved in the the system, helping with the layout of the talk groups and department id numbers.
I’m working on programming apx8000xe portables and apx8500 mobiles which are all triband units, what a sweet radio has many options including multi system scan feature.
Correct on that system should be ready by mid summer. Waiting on trees to be fully covered. Haven’t received any info on frequencies yet, but Tuesday I’ll see if I can get any info.

Hop763

Premium Subscriber
It’s looking as if everything will be encrypted except main channel

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
Hop were you able to figure anything out? I still cannot come up with a license for the system in ULS.

I work in IN directly across from Boone Co. Live in Kenton CO. Interested how this will play out...

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a number of the microwave licenses have been granted. Of interest is that it would appear the links for all of the sites are being licensed under the Campbell County Consolidated Dispatch Center.

Hop763

Premium Subscriber
Latest update, Still installing equipment. They are hoping to start testing in July and finish up in August and flip the switch. Still no word on freq. yet but they are applied for. I will keep you updated as I find more info.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
What license numbers are you looking at? I just searched the ULS and didn't come up with anything new. Ill plug in frequencies and see what I can hear.