Northern Kentucky Regional Communications System (NKYRCS)

Towfiredog550

Premium Subscriber
651 is phase 1 not phase 2
If you was going to buy a good portable unit with good pickup range where you can listen to Grant Co,Gallatin Co,Ksp post 6 and post 5 as well as Boone and Kenton county’s police and Fire what would you buy ?? How much does programming cost ?

Remington12G

GØT AES?
If you was going to buy a good portable unit with good pickup range where you can listen to Grant Co,Gallatin Co,Ksp post 6 and post 5 as well as Boone and Kenton county’s police and Fire what would you buy ?? How much does programming cost ?
I've seen a Uniden 436HP, SDS100, & A Unication Pager all work on the systems you want with no issues. @swstow Should be able to recommend a good portable.

Last edited:

Newt182

I just bought a Uniden SDS100 and it seems to work great, although I'm in Boone county and I only monitor Bone County. Programming was fairly easy using the included USB cable to connect it to my PC and the Uniden Sentinel software. It's a Pricey scanner though at $649 and finding it in stock can also be an issue.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I believe anything other than the SDS scanners or Unication pager will be hit or miss on the NKY p25 system. Because of (potential) simulcast distortion, the other scanners may work great in one location & not another. Based on reports from listeners on other similar systems, even moving from one room to the next can make a noticeable difference. I have monitored the Boone co site(s) with a 436 and 536, but only for a few hours. I did get traffic, but I don't know how well they performed since I have no other radio to compare to. With a ~$200 difference between the 436/536 series and the SDS series, I would definitely consider trying one of the lower priced models first.
As for programming, the 436/536 and SDS series all have free software included, frequency updates come straight from the Radio reference database. I wouldn't pay for programming.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
I put back up my Northern KY feed , so everybody can get a idea , I'm running a Whistler WS1095 on stock antenna I'm located in the central area of Erlanger , scanner programmed with each system/ county in its own group / then all 4 systems and all talk groups together as one group / the only thing I really have noticed that the talk groups will hit on other towers ( Kenton north dispatch will come over Boone system ....ect ) )

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking for the full system or just a fire or police feed
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a bust few days.

If you are going to setup a Calls node it's best to send the full system that way users can create their own scan lists for what they want to hear.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
the only thing I really have noticed that the talk groups will hit on other towers ( Kenton north dispatch will come over Boone system ....ect ) )
The system is setup so that the primary talkgroups will roam to all sites if a subscribers radio affiliates to the site. I did notice this weekend (not as many people working) a lot of the talkgroups were not roaming as much as they do during the weekdays.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
It appears Campbell County law (went yesterday) and fire (doing tone testing right now) are on the new system.

Sounds like fire is multi-casting on VHF and the TRS.

KyFireFreak

Feed Provider
Is Campbell Co LAW encrypted? I haven't heard a peep out of them all morning...

What is this Calls deal? You can pick and choose what you're hearing off of a feed? I wasn't aware this existed.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
What is this Calls deal? You can pick and choose what you're hearing off of a feed? I wasn't aware this existed.
Broadcastify Launched what's known as Calls Platform.
Broadcastify Calls is different from regular broadcastify feeds as the calls platform captures every single call on a conventional or trunked system, as individual call files, and makes those calls available in real time and in archives. The Broadcastify Calls platform is not intended to replace regular Broadcastify audio streams at this time, but to supplement them, and we will eventually create Broadcastify audio streams from the Broadcastify Calls platform.

Broadcastify Calls Features includes:
  • 30 day retention
  • duplicate call handling
  • Live Call Playback
  • Playlists Playback
  • tight integration with the RadioReference database
  • call and source detailed statistics
In short terms, it's one big ingest server for your system. We are looking at launching one down here on the UK system at some point but haven't got around to setting everything up yet.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Is Campbell Co LAW encrypted? I haven't heard a peep out of them all morning...
Yes they are encrypted.

If you are a Broadcastify/Radio Reference paid member you can access the Calls platform. In my opinion it's the next best thing in radio monitoring.

It will record EVERY transmission on a system (if the node owner is setting it up well) and allows the user to create their own playlists so they can monitor whatever they want. You can even monitor traffic from multiple different systems in the same playlist. Click the link and give it a look, if you're a paid member.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I can't think of anything that has happened in Campbell County in the last 25 years that would cause a need for encryption. It's mainly traffic stops around the area. LOL

Newt182

Off Topic question - When Air Care arrives on scene in Boone county do the ground units communicate with the helicopter and if so, on what Frequency?

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Yes, since the cut-over I have heard them assigning 8TAC92D. It is labeled AIR GROUND in the radios.

Being that Campbell FD's are still using VHF for now I'm not sure how they will be handling mutual/auto aid right now. Newport and Covington used to make a good amount of runs back and forth.

Newt182

Yes, since the cut-over I have heard them assigning 8TAC92D. It is labeled AIR GROUND in the radios.

Is this the same as KY Mutual Aid 8TAC92 listed in the database under Kentucky - Statewide - KY Mutual Aid and interoperability - 800 Mhz Mutual Aid?

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
Is this the same as KY Mutual Aid 8TAC92 listed in the database under Kentucky - Statewide - KY Mutual Aid and interoperability - 800 Mhz Mutual Aid?
Yes. These are nationwide mutual aid channels. They are installed as repeaters at sites all over the US but are mostly used in simplex "D" mode. Some local agencies have them setup to cross-band to the V-Tac and U-Tac channels as well.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Can we confirm Campbell County talk groups so they can be added to the RR DB? Are they the same and correct information per the PDF?