Northern Lights Affect On Radios

Opossum214

Premium Subscriber
Has the Aurora borealis had any affect on radio transmissions for anyone? Last night (8-17) I was able to pick up two different statewide P25 sites that are 70 plus miles away on my g4s. One G4 with an external outside antenna at 30' and the other with just the internal stubby and to my surprise I was getting 4 to 5 bars on the stubby as well. Not sure what was happening last night but, it has my wondering had something to do with the Northern Lights? Just for reference I can only receive the one statewide site with only one or two bars on the outside antenna when the weather is clear and sometimes not even then.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
There have been recent solar flares causing aurora borealis. Apparently it's been mostly in the northern part of the country. The solar cycle has been affecting reception positively and negatively.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Northern lights might be visible in Michigan sky until Friday night

"The Upper Peninsula is known to offer great conditions to view night sky phenomena due to its latitude, but Lower Peninsula residents may also get the chance to witness the northern lights as they're predicted to be visible as far south as Ohio and Pennsylvania."

KL5LD

Mark 12: 29-31
Premium Subscriber
Oh wow. That interesting. I live in Alaska and we have not been able to see them. As it has been raining for what now feels like the past month. I'm sure once the clouds clear we will get them nice and bright. As for radios go it is my understanding that Auroras cause a distortion in radio waves. I took a class to get my license the teacher briefly touched on this topic. The video he played was very distorted audio of 10-meter broadcasting in an aurora. But that was up here in Alaska not sure down in the states.

nd5y

KL5LD

Mark 12: 29-31
Premium Subscriber
It's probably just tropo and not auroral propagation. Especially at UHF and higher frequenies.
Well, I learned a lot from reading this, but now I am even more confused lol. So basically it does and doesn't have an effect on radio waves in HF. Perfect.

Opossum214

Premium Subscriber
Off topic
You must be in Valparaiso, Portage, Hobart, Griffith, East Gary area? Lived in Val-parain-snow Windiania (lake effect snows and rains) there 50 years ago. ;)
Valpo is way east in Porter County, I'm only a couple of blocks on from Illinois right next to Chicago. "Da Region"