Northern NJ frequencies that can be heard in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

auxscan

I want to monitor some NJ Police frequencies from NYC, but so far I can only hear jersey city pd, newark pd and bergen county pd. I tried paterson police but no luck. Can anybody give me a list of Northern NJ police frequencies that can be heard in NYC.

Im located in Northern Brooklyn.

SCANdal

Silent Key
My, my, how quickly we throw our hands up in the air and just plain give up...

I love questions like these. Without knowing what kind of scanner or antenna array is being used in an attempt to capture frequencies, a poster wants us to tell him what one could hear between point A and point B. A handheld scanner with it's stock rubber-duck antenna is going to perform a lot different from a BCD996XT that has a rooftop mounted Spider SP800MOT (with less then a 50 foot cable run, of course) plugged into it. How are we supposed to know what someone can or can't hear in Brooklyn?

There are many ways to go about developing one's own personal databases. One way would be breaking out ones' copy of Scanner Master's NY Metro/NNJ Comm Guide (7th Edition), or visiting New Jersey Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference (if you don't yet have a copy of Scanner Master), clicking on some of the counties, pulling up some frequencies, dumping them into your scanner, and listening for a while to see what one hears. Come up with nothing on a given channel over a day, or two, or three? Dump it back out and put something else in it's place. That's the pot-luck method. It gets more developed from there - involving selecting targets, researching them in FCC records, pulling up Google maps, on and on. Any way that one chooses is better then being spoon fed answers that worked for someone else.

Doing one's own homework will help move one from being just a listener of a "police scanner" (G-d, I hate that term) to a true scannist.

SCANdal

Last edited:

auxscan

whoa!

I love questions like these. Without knowing what kind of scanner or antenna array is being used in an attempt to capture frequencies, a poster wants us to tell him what one you could hear between points A and B. A handheld scanner with it's stock rubber-duck antenna is going to perform a lot different from a BCD996XT that has a rooftop mounted Spider SP800MOT (with less then a 50 foot cable run, of course) plugged into it. How are we supposed to know what someone can or can't hear in Brooklyn or not?

How about breaking out your copy of Scanner Master's NY Metro/NNJ Comm Guide (7th Edition), or visiting New Jersey Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference (if you don't yet have a copy of Scanner Master), clicking on some of the Northeastern counties, pulling up some frequencies, dumping them into your scanner, and listening for a while to see what you hear? Come up with nothing on a given channel over a day, or two, or three? Dump it back out and put something else in it's place. Or. better still, to get a deeper understanding of RF and how it travels, reseach a selected target to see how much power the FCC let's them put out of their repeater(s), look at a Google Map and see how far away a target is (as "the crow flys's"), see - if you turn your rooftop antenna this way or that - what happens.

Being spoon fed answers that worked for someone else does nothing to help one polish his craft in this hobby. Doing your own homework will help you move from being just a listener of a "police scanner" (G-d, I hate that term) to a true scannist.

SCANdal

whoa! no need for bashing! sounds like someone is having a bad day. I am a true scannist, been scanning since i was 12. it was just now that i got interseted in scanning northern nj. hearing pursuits and and stuff over a newark or jersey city.

Im using a radioshack pro-197 desktop with a roof antenna.

CqDx

It's always one bad apple spoil the bunch, period.

auxscan, depend on your location (top of hill or below the hill), you may have trouble receiving Northern NJ because of all the skyscrapers in the line of sight, I am located 50 feet above ground level with a good line of sight to empire state building. I have no problem listening from Paterson PD to Elizabeth PD. Please keep in mind a LOT of PD/FD agencies in NNJ only need to communicate within their town so they are low powered. Therefore most of us would have trouble listening to them.

In Bergen County I have no problem listening to the following (and I am located in North Central Queens)

Englewood Cliffs, Borough of
Fort Lee, Borough of
Palisades Park, Borough of
Rutherford, Borough of
Teaneck, Township of

Check here for frequcencies, Bergen County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I can pick up most of Hudson County, but some smaller towns like Secaucus, Union City and Weehawken are weak.

That's for the starters, if you can listen to JCPD and Newark PD, I think you will find 99% of others boring.

auxscan

Newark PD seems to be a favoroite for me. I was scanning last night and i heard 3 pursuits over a 2 hour period. Newark police was so busy i couldn't believe it on a friday night. shots fired, pursuits & drug infested areas.

I cant wait to visit my cousin in Jersey city i'll be scanning all week. lol

CqDx

Jersey City is OK, unlike Newark they don't use codes so it's easy to understand.

I always got a laugh from Newark dispatchers though. Even if there is a "slow" night they will keep you entertained!

scannersnstuff

3 frequencies instantly come to mind from monmouth county n.j.

151.025 192.8 holmdel twp.police.
156.210 dpl 464 middletown twp.police.
154.7625 103.5 long branch city police.

should have no problem picking these up. middletown & long branch.lot's of action.
let us know if you get them.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYCRADIO

hey auxscan whats the freq. for newark pd that you listen to all that action on ? lol

maalox

do not forget nj spen 154.680 and newjersey turn pike plows 159.18 both use 131 pls im using a scannerantenna on roof.

Last edited:

K9one

jersey city

Yes Jersey city has moved to their new digital trunk system. Other users of the system are Dept. of Public Works and the JC Incinerator authority (Dumpster and snow plows). FDJC has talk groups but have not moved to new system and probably will moved only when somebody unplugs their old system. City built new combined dispatch system for new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.