Northglenn - Best Site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Now that Adams Simulcast is devoted to FRCC, is the best coverage for Northglenn off Thorodin?

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
With DTRS it really depends on your exact location, which sites have tried? I suspect there are parts of Northglenn with very weak DTRS coverage.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Haven't tried anything yet -- just doing the post-FRCC reprogramming on a unit, and trying to figure out what to do with Northglenn now that they don't have Adams Simulcast to work with. Given their location, I was somewhat surprised that they didn't stay with the original system. So now looking for someone who cruises the area and has some idea which of the original sites services them decently -- if there is one!

Edit: It's not MY location that's important. I'm programming for use when in each geographic area, so it's whatever works best in Northglenn itself that is of interest.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Just for grins - here's my current working coverage map for the northern Front Range area for Uniden, courtesy of Freescan.

Attachments

• Working Coverage Map.jpg
    Working Coverage Map.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 283

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
?? Our database is then amiss... It still shows both (Thornton and Northglenn) in the original Colorado DTRS list. They're not running on both systems, are they? Do the original sites still allow affiliation using original talkgroups (e.g., not mutual or whatever)?

I'll get Northglenn moved to FRCC (back to Adams Simulcast) then. Thanks for the heads up.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I already had Thornton on FRCC. I had just not noted Northglenn was there as well.

So what's the story with both Thornton and Northglenn still showing all of their talkgroups on both systems in the database? I would have expected them to be using only mutual talkgroups on the original system.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
To move things along, here is a DB update suggestion:

Delete all Weld County & Adams County TG's from DTRS, EXCEPT for Adams County MAC & North Metro Fire Dispatch. Am I missing anything that's still on DTRS??
(I suspect people have been reluctant to submit deletion requests due to uncertainty re: confirming precisely which TG's are still on DTRS...)

-Nate

WaveRunner

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Agreed Nate. Also might want to list FRCC under Adams County too instead of just Weld.

jfab

Along these same lines... Does anyone know the best FRCC CC to use for commerce city? Adams simulcast is pretty much unusable in commerce city

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Steve2003

Unless you can get any of the other FRCC sites from your location, the Adams County simulcast site is your only option.

I do suggest trying a directional antenna tuned to the 700/800MHz range. They are only a few feet long and you don't have to mount it to your house. I actually use some C-Clamps with mine so I can easily move it around the hose and re-point it. Here is a picture to illustrate the setup:

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
True enough. I'm just beginning to readjust the radii of some of the sites. One of our members helped a lot with propagation estimates a while back, and I'll be using those again.

Yes, Commerce City will have similar issues to Northglenn, though perhaps a bit rougher.

@Steve2003 - again, 'my location' will be within the jurisdiction at the time. This is a mobile setup I'm working on at present. The radio will auto-switch sites and talkgroups based upon its location. So all I'm interested in is what best serves the area itself.

Edit: Never mind last request for Adams maps. Found the Adams simulcast propagation maps here >>> http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Individual_CO_DTRS_Sites/Adams
Looks like Commerce City is served fairly well off the Civic Center site for the simulcast system.

Last edited:

Steve2003

Depending on which scanner you have and how it is setup the scanner may try to find a new control channel when the signal drops from the Adams Simulcast Site. If you have all the frequencies programmed in for each site the scanner will go through them all which can make re-acquiring the Adams control channel take a little longer.

One of the things you can try is to only program the Adams County Site with only the 772.99375 frequency. I utilize this setup and it makes the scanner re-acquire the control channel a little quicker when it drops.

-Steve

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Delete all Weld County & Adams County TG's from DTRS, EXCEPT for Adams County MAC & North Metro Fire Dispatch. Am I missing anything that's still on DTRS??
(I suspect people have been reluctant to submit deletion requests due to uncertainty re: confirming precisely which TG's are still on DTRS...)

-Nate

Done. I was waiting for someone to submit the request after enough research had been completed to ensure they were off of the DTRS for good.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
If you have all the frequencies programmed in for each site the scanner will go through them all which can make re-acquiring the Adams control channel take a little longer.

One of the things you can try is to only program the Adams County Site with only the 772.99375 frequency. I utilize this setup and it makes the scanner re-acquire the control channel a little quicker when it drops.
I use only the primary control channel for any Colorado or FRCC site. So far, that hasn't bit me. So all I have in for the Adams Simulcast site(s) is 772.99375.

Was down in the area yesterday, and things seemed to be working fairly well apart from some sketchy coverage in areas that were sketchy before when it was part of the statewide DTRS. My only complaint (which is longstanding) is that the EQ on the Adams County board is awful. WAY too much base and midrange, so it sounds pretty muddy. Would really help if I weren't running it through the car audio system and just used a crappy little tinny speaker, I guess!

I note this about the Colorado DTRS system as well. Frankly, I find that the Longmont VHF sounds a lot better than the DTRS version. However, that could all be a Uniden issue in both cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.