• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Northrop to sell laser shield 'bubble' for airports

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhutch

What happens when one of the "destroyed" missles lands in someones living room and takes out a family of 4 while watching TV? Just a thought, it might be Cha-ching again.

USAPatriot

What happens when the beam wipes out a house on the hill full of dozens of screaming kids diving for the contents of the previously intact pinata? Or the system has a brain fart and shoots down a dozen airliners before someone can hit the kill switch? At THIS point I don't think an airport shield is a necessity. Or maybe I'm just a fool. -Rod-

rhutch

It's funny but everytime I hear about these defensive systems and unmanned military vehicals I can't help but think about the Terminator movies and the SKYNET system. It's like Jules Verne Sci-fi coming to life.

Napalm

That kind of thing is useful only in a warzone. Imagine protecting an FOB or an airfield with one of those.

I really doubt airports inside the US need them... not yet anyway.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Trekkies,

"What happens when one of the "destroyed" missles lands in someones living room and takes out a family of 4 while watching TV?"

In another form it's already happened. I don't remember the where or when but a 75mm Howizer shell intended to intentionally start an avalanche overshot and blew up a home in the next town. It melted enough snow to get the Ski Patrol in a lot of hot water.

Well, we must get revenge for that "blue ice" incident that plagued the airports a few years back. Planes landing bombarded us with stuff leaking from the septic tanks so we'll just have to shoot them down before they can do more damage.
"Oh the smell, the SMELL"
Shaddup Doctor Smith you creaking pile of bones and wrinkled flesh!

TX, because it can't hit it with a stick. DUH? (;->) Oh, I like kidneys and fried onions with gravy over cut boiled potatoes so keep 'em coming, I'm just not too fond of brains.

Now if you guys want to spell piñata correctly it's alt 164 and lose the capital, it's not a proper name.

TX, because it can't hit it with a stick. DUH? (;->) Oh, I like kidneys and fried onions with gravy over cut boiled potatoes so keep 'em coming, I'm just not too fond of brains.

Now if you guys want to spell piñata correctly it's alt 164 and lose the capital, it's not a proper name.
So is this a new jerk or an old one with a different name?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Tex, just because you don't understand my humor or have never eaten kidney you don't have to call me a jerk. OK, you're excused, it's hotter in Texas than New Jersey and you DO have a town called Hell rather appropriately named. Well, we have Atlantic City...

TNX FER LOL OM, DIT DIT.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Now that we all know how to spell a Mexican word correctly, maybe we could teach them the National Anthem, IN ENGLISH.

jimyleg

As long as it's availeble to save lives then I say why not. You gotta feel for those folks once in a while...

Would not a lazer destroy rpg's, rockets, etc in the air? I would think it could zap it several times? Or does it just give one zap and send it back to earth?

Woodstock

I wonder if I could get one of these for my house. You can never be too careful...

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
What if this great laser shield system screws up and turns American Flight 450 into a smoking hole in the sky? I'd be very concerned about an automated system being trusted to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

The Patriot missile system is a good example, when one system in Iraq shot down an British Tornado that suffered an IFF transponder failure. In another case, a Patriot missile battery engaged a flight of Navy F/A-18F Super Hornets, but the Patriot lost that scuffle, when one of the F/A-18F's fired a radar-homing HARM missile and destroyed the AN/MPN-53 phased array radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.