Northwest Alabama Forest Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

KU4WW

Premium Subscriber
Currently Cherokee Volunteer Fire Department along with State Forestry, US Park Service and others are fighting a forest fire in or near the old Thomas Wildlife Management Area. This is in southwest Colbert County near the AL/MS stateline along Sally Burns Road and near Maud Road (3.8 miles from Maud Road). This is probably Truck Trail 37 or 36 if any of you ever hunted there years ago when the state had the lease. Frequencies in use are Cherokee VFD Repeater 151.085 (input 154.010) and State Forestry 159.315. Coordinates are aproximately 34°35.55'N and 088°05.26'W.

There were multiple fires at this location Monday afternoon. Someone was apparently starting them and may have done the same today. This land is now Pine Tree Plantations and is very parched from the drought. $$$ is going up in smoke.

Other agencies that were there Monday (and may be tonight) were TVA and Colbert County SO. A 161,000 Volt Transmission Line runs through the area and as a result TVA was dispatched there. Riverton VFD is currently on the seen also.

As I type this, a State Forestry Agent has overheated and Cherokee Rescue Squad has been dispatched to the seen. Personnel are attempting to locate him....yeahhh, he's been located.

Whoopee!! It's raining here. Maybe that will put a halt to the fire (which is aprox. 8 miles south of me).

73, Jeff/KU4WW

claybarnes

It looks like all of us will be getting wet within the next 8-12 hours. As I write this at 2241 hours it is raining to the northwest, and southwest of my location in North Jefferson County. I pray that the FF will be OK. I've never understood the mentality of people who enjoys going around setting fires for the lark of it. Sick, sick people. I can reccomend some punishments, but I'll refrain for now. Hope everyone stays safe. BTW, has anyone heard from Dave911 lately? Hope he is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.