Northwest Louisiana "Discussion"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

Afternoon Fella's,

Since Radio Reference has given us this FORUM to discuss things, The 'time' has come to the Walrus said, talk of many things of sailing ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and of Kings, of why the seal is boiling hot and whither pigs have wings. LOL!

I don't have a 700 mHz trunking scanner. I've heard good and bad about the new band and I'm curious to know the pertickulars on it. I'm not able to go anywhere as my doctor has me on complete bed rest. I'm not supposed to even be on the computer, but more on that later. Not being able to travel or get up keeps me from hearing someone else's scanner.

SOOOOOO, in each of your humble opinions, thumbs up or down? How is the audio and rf reception? More or less static, fading, dead spots? Is it REALLY worth the money to buy this scanner (Uniden 996DXT[?] or should
I wait or even bother.

I've gotten e-mails from several Fire folks that say the range of reception is much shorter in the areas they cover. This could be a dangerous situation. I wonder if those in-charge of this were buying a-pig-in-a-poke OR actually did their own field test to see the visability to warrent the change. Yes, I know the FEMA and FCC mandated it, but rather turning in their old gear, they could keep it for back-up, for a Just-In-Case, (say, doesn't he sell Insurance, LOL!) senerio?

Motorola is making a killing doing this and even THEY don't know if it will work. Once more the Federal Government has a boondogle. Now, I'm not gonna start on politics, LOL! I'm a candidate on the 2012 ballot...I'm running for the State Line, he,he,he. I'm not gonna start on conspiricies, either, they lock you away as another nut job, if they do and I don't want guys in black with dark shades talking into their shoes :twisted: Since I haven't heard for myself, I'll rely on your praise or mis-givings.

Thank you for your time,
GOD BLESS
Bon Noveux, 2012

Brother Don
/KA5LQJ

vinzep491

The 700mhz public safety band, just like every other band first responders use, has its positves and negatives.

It is really dependent on terrain and the types of area they would cover.

Just as one may choose the 150mhz band for rolling hills, one may choose 7/800 bands for urban areas since it can penetrate building walls alot better than the lower bands.

It's less about conspiracy theorys and more about enviromental factors

:)

allsmar1

Premium Subscriber
I live in North Bossier Parish and reception is great Pro 197 scanner. Has anyone heard when Shreveport PD/Fire are going to LWIN 2013-14? Will check back. Semper Fi !

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Don, I think you will get a lot of differing opinions and maybe the use of just the 700/800 MHz spectrum for LWIN was a "rush to judgement" kind of call. There is no reason that a statewide or regional system has to be limited to one band. Alaska, Travis Co. (TX), and several others use a mix of spectrums on the same system.

With that said, let me address this range issue you alluded to above. I cannot find the specific posts but this whole range issue was discussed several years ago and testing proved that this was not so. There is a difference between absolute range and effective range. Yes, assuming same band and equal power levels, you can "hear" an analog signal further than you can "decode" a digital signal but, do you really want to be playing DXing between noise bursts and static crashes on public safety radios? The advantage of the digital signal is that it sounds exactly the same whether you are across the street from the transmitter or at the edge of the effective range; exactly the same. You cannot say that with an analog radio signal. If you spoke to firefighters who claim differently then they were used to "stretching the rubber band" just a bit too much on the old system. In any case, from what I see, your local fire folks did not move to LWIN, but rather to the Caddo Parish TRS, which is neither digital nor 700 MHz but rather still analog in the crowded and shared 800 MHz spectrum.

As for your specific situation as regards a new scanner, well at some point you may have to upgrade, but in your case, later would be better as the march will continue toward the digital age and specifically TDMA (which does not seem to be in use in your area yet) and at the moment there is only one scanner on the market (and it is in short supply and inflated in price) that handles P25 TDMA signals. So wait and see is my advice.

allsmar1

Premium Subscriber
Shreveport PD/Fire

Dear LOUMAGG, Do You know where to get the latest rumors about when Caddo Parish/ Shreveport PD/Fire will move to LWIN? Enjoyed your discussion and reply to Don. ie. "Caddo Parish TRS?" So much to learn...so little time. THXS

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Dear LOUMAGG, Do You know where to get the latest rumors about when Caddo Parish/ Shreveport PD/Fire will move to LWIN? Enjoyed your discussion and reply to Don. ie. "Caddo Parish TRS?" So much to learn...so little time. THXS
I would have no idea. I moved from Louisiana in 1999 and then lived in the SE part of the state. I answered you so that you would seek the information elsewhere, please don't hijack someone else's thread. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.