Northwest Ohio Storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
Ottawa County lost it's consoles during the storms. County dispatch is unable to tone out fire/ems departments and is dispatching off of portable radios. Anybody else hearing any other areas having radio problems.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Well, here in Franklin County, in Dublin (a Columbus surburb), they had their dispatch center struck by lightning. Almost immidiately after the dispatch outage, an apartment complex was struck by lightning sparking a 2 alarm fire, and of course, they had some communications difficulties.

FPO703

It's a lightning show to make some July 4th shows seem like amateur hour. And to think, I gotta go out in this stuff for the next few hours. YUCK!

Mike-KC8OWL

Last night I did hear Seneca county talking to NWS on MARCS TG 00560 through one of the Cuyahoga Co. towers. A deputy saw what he beleived to be a funnel cloud and they were trying to confirm w/ NWS.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Funny clouds where seen everywhere yesterday - except by truly trained spotters. I had a "trained spotter" see a funnel cloud right over my head. I looked up and saw a lot of scud, but he said it was rotating. 30 seconds later "it just stopped rotating." Funnel clouds don't do that.

Here's a pic of a "tornado" from a spotter just over the line west of Hillsdale: http://toimages.us.publicus.com/app...EWS12&ArtNo=306210020&Ref=AR&MaxW=500&title=1

Translation: Low hanging clouds being blown by the storm. No tornado.

Mike-KC8OWL

Well ..... since we're on that subject

I personally have some issues with the quality of information being passed by *many* (not all) of the amateur radio operators that participate in skywarn-like activities.

Don't get me wrong, there are some that are very knowledgeable and accurate, but in general, severe weather always seems to make people feel the need to report anything they see, even though the reporting criteria is clearly rather specific. I think that is due, in part, to the fact that many of the people reporting the sunshine and light rain over the local nets are the same ones who could not stay awake during the training sessions. It always amazed me that the same people attend the same training every year, but many never seem to learn anything.

Anyone who is familiar with skywarn in NE Ohio is likely familiar with the 6m backbone linked repeater system that is used to tie all of the Northern Ohio county local skywarn nets together with NWS when there is severe weather. What struck me as cool was the fact that this can now be facilitated trough MARCS, but on an entire state-wide basis through local public service agencies (a better deal in my own opinion).

Mike-KC8OWL said:
Last night I did hear Seneca county talking to NWS on MARCS TG 00560 through one of the Cuyahoga Co. towers. A deputy saw what he beleived to be a funnel cloud and they were trying to confirm w/ NWS.

Yeah, they were talking about that on the TV stations last night. Them forecasters are earning their pay, this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.