Norwalk PD - Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
It appears that Norwalk PD (WNQS468) is getting ready to reband their 800mz frequencies.
The license now includes all the new and old frequencies.

Here is an article from todays paper.

Police, firefighters set to digitize radio system - Norwalk News - The Hour - Norwalk's Newspaper

Looks like they are just going digital with the option to encrypt as needed. Which is good news for us scanner listeners.

I would ignore the comments at the end of the article. Some axes to grind there!

Dave

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
It appears that Norwalk PD (WNQS468) is getting ready to reband their 800mz frequencies.
The license now includes all the new and old frequencies.

Here is an article from todays paper.

Police, firefighters set to digitize radio system - Norwalk News - The Hour - Norwalk's Newspaper

Looks like they are just going digital with the option to encrypt as needed. Which is good news for us scanner listeners.

I would ignore the comments at the end of the article. Some axes to grind there!

Dave

Thanks for posting the article. Thats nice that they are going to keep communications in the clear.

So it seems like the only ones that are rebanding would be the Police Department who operate on 800 MHz. If I am not mistaken doesn't the fire department operate on the VHF Hi band and therefore wouldn't need to reband? Is the FD going P25?

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
I have just reprogrammed my scanner and I will post something when I hear something.

Dave

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
Reband, narrowband, reprogram, digital ... it's amazing that a reporter would get an article written that made sense.
It would depend on what equipment the FD had if it was a reprogram only or all new equipment.

chris

Cskib32087

Thanks for posting the article. Thats nice that they are going to keep communications in the clear.

So it seems like the only ones that are rebanding would be the Police Department who operate on 800 MHz. If I am not mistaken doesn't the fire department operate on the VHF Hi band and therefore wouldn't need to reband? Is the FD going P25?

PD is rebanding. FD will have to reprogram in the next 3 years.
PD has almost all XTL2500s Or XTL5000s in the cars thanks to nextel
But they still use MT2000s and such for portables and those are not getting replcaed by nextel
FD has all HT & CDM equipment so it will be a complete change out
BUT they could get APX mobiles & portables and have the FD VHF and PD 800 all in 1 radio
And it would do the new Super Secret system going into fairfield county very soon
(Got the info from a PD that covers NJ/NY/CT and will be using it, some key words he pased on were P25/Trunking/700/TDMA) We will see

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Cskib32087,

Thanks for the info. I wonder what this new super secret radio system is going to be about. The only PD can that I can think of that covers NY/NJ/CT would be the MTA, but this is a topic for another thread.

You mentioned that the FD is going to reprogram within the next three years, are they going to go P25?

Status
Not open for further replies.