Norwegian Gem Prohibited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Norwegian Gem Prohibited items?

Going on this ship in 2 weeks. NY to Bahamas. I searched but did not see any scanner or radio bans. Most likely not bringing the 436 but would like to bring a cheap dongle and possibly our Cobra CXT 145 Walkie Talkies .

Anyone have any issues on this cruise line ?

Thanks

Last edited:

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I've travelled twice with this cruise line, once out of Miami (Norwegian Sky) in 2014 and the other out of Rome (Norwegian Epic) in 2016. Both times I carried my 396xt (left the more expensive 436 at home), and had no issues whatsoever. Both times the radio was stored inside my larger suitcase, which the porters collected dockside and was eventually delivered to my cabin. I assume it obviously went through some kind of security screening, but that was behind the scenes. I generally only scanned from my balcony and used earbuds as to not disturb neighboring passengers. I did take it with me to the top deck once at night in order to catch some distant signals. I was discrete and no one was the wiser. Good luck and safe travels.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply. I would like to try scanning and can say that at least one way balcony will face land. I may use a bluetooth transmitter and listen with a blue tooth ear thingy. Getting excited, never been on one of these before...

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest that you pack it and not "carry on your person" through security. I had never had a problem until last year when they confiscated my handheld for the entire cruise. It was confiscated as I tried to board the ship with radio off in my carry on bag. When it went through the xray security pulled it out and confiscated it. I was told by ship on board security when i appealed that scanners are now banned on cruise ships. I was on a Celebrity cruise ship. Just wanted to share with you.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
Leaving on Sept for a Western Caribbean Cruise with
Norwegian Cruise Lines.The last time I cruised with NCL,
I noticed a lot of people with bubble pack radios communicating
with each other. I'm planning on taking my cheap Baofeng BF-F8
radios since we have so many people going this time. I like being
able to reach and find my family when I need to.
I'll be sure to come back and update this post after my trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.