not a funny thing I just heard on my scanner.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area....

It just happened minutes ago. I'm still a bit shaken.
I'm on my computer and listening to my scanner when I hear the security at the building, where my son works, break squelch.
"Possible shooter seen entering the building at 133 State St." This is where the tax department is housed, all state employees.
Within seconds someone responds back that 133 State St. is getting locked down and that ALL state buildings in this city are getting locked down.

I immediately call my son.....no answer. I send him a text.....no response back.

So now I make a call to my wife to let her know what"s going on.

SIGH !!!! This is a small New England State, this shouldn't be happening here but unfortunately it is.
It was also called in from a third party so no-one can substantiate that there was an actual shooter.

My son finally texts me back that he's OK and it might have been a misunderstanding.

I don't want to have to go through this again! Both my wife and I are pretty shook up from this regardless of if it was a misunderstanding or not.

This, and I also heard on my local news this morning that kids are going back to school with bullet proof backpacks!!!!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Exactly what I went thru last year when there was the same situation, more or less, an active shooter drill on Wright-Patterson AFB that went wrong with miscommunication. My wife is a supervisor at the base hospital, right where the shooter was 'located' it was hours later for me to get the news that the whole scenario was accidently, as they would not let her use a cell phone. Mass hysteria is so easily triggered these days in those type situations. I recently saw a video of a huge crowd stampeding somewhere after a vehicle backfire (Times Square maybe?) That is nothing to joke about now, for sure. Glad your situation turned out like mine, thank God.

JD
kf4anc

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what I went thru last year when there was the same situation, more or less, an active shooter drill on Wright-Patterson AFB that went wrong with miscommunication...

JD
kf4anc
I was stationed at WPAFB in the mid 80's and was part of the 'exercise evaluation team'. I used my scanner to monitor transmissions (for various aspects of the exercises) and all exercise transmissions were to start and end with 'exercise transmission' to avoid such hysteria. This seems to have fallen by the wayside over the years.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I was stationed at WPAFB in the mid 80's and was part of the 'exercise evaluation team'. I used my scanner to monitor transmissions (for various aspects of the exercises) and all exercise transmissions were to start and end with 'exercise transmission' to avoid such hysteria. This seems to have fallen by the wayside over the years.

Boy, did it ever. That whole morning was actually the result of someone accidently discharging a shotgun during a practice door breach in an un used portion of the hospital upstairs and someone making a 911 call. Total chaos, but I hear they have made vast improvements in their strategies to avoid this in the future. Thanks to having scanners, I was able to get the 'good' news before the TV news broadcasted it 'live' to bring an end to all of the confusion.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It just happened minutes ago. I'm still a bit shaken.
I'm on my computer and listening to my scanner when I hear the security at the building, where my son works, break squelch.
"Possible shooter seen entering the building at 133 State St." This is where the tax department is housed, all state employees.
Within seconds someone responds back that 133 State St. is getting locked down and that ALL state buildings in this city are getting locked down.

Scary for sure. Glad it was a false alarm and everyone is OK! Being a state facility I'm assuming your son is not allowed to carry so he can defend himself should and active-shooter situation ever become real. Are the building's security people armed or is everyone just sitting ducks? If security is not armed, your son might want to find new employment.

This is scrolling on the bottom of NewsMax TV:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I live in Pennsylvania but work in Trenton, New Jersey which is the capital. Trenton is about 10 minutes from my house.

Ever since 9/11 there are cement barricades all around the state buildings and the State House.

The security for all state buildings, especially the tax building is done by New Jersey state troopers and they have their own talk group.

I don't know if anyone remembers but we got hit with that big Anthrax attack after 9/11. There are lockdowns all the time and threats are a regular part of life here.

Glad everything was okay in your capital.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The security for all state buildings, especially the tax building is done by New Jersey state troopers and they have their own talk group.

There are lockdowns all the time and threats are a regular part of life here.

You know the old saying "When seconds count...the police are only minutes away" So many incidents are all over by the time the police arrive. Nothing against police it's just the facts, these things go down so quickly!

Just don't become too complacent. I think our entire country has become too complacent after 9/11! What happened to "Never Forget"?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
You know the old saying "When seconds count...the police are only minutes away" So many incidents are all over by the time the police arrive. Nothing against police it's just the facts, these things go down so quickly!

Just don't become too complacent. I think our entire country has become too complacent after 9/11! What happened to "Never Forget"?
Yep, Trenton, NJ is just south of New York City, I'm a retired newspaper man for a paper in Trenton, but I still work part-time for a news service.

I was working that morning, I had just been promoted to a department head so I was in early that day and it happened as I was arriving at the paper.

Work was never the same again, never.
I worked with people who lost family members there. A lot of victims came from the Princeton area so many of our readers lost family members, hundreds of them, the paper is a large regional paper that covers a good part of New Jersey.

I remember people waiting at the train stations at night for their loved ones who would never return.

Yep, the term "never forget" is a pretty strong sentiment in these parts.

Being vigilant and prepared is something that's in my mind everyday.

Glad that blackink's son was okay and it was a false alarm.

Blackink

It would be nice if authorities could investigate the caller/reporter of the incident (who originally saw the so-called person with the gun) to find out exactly what they thought they saw?!?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It would be nice if authorities could investigate the caller/reporter of the incident (who originally saw the so-called person with the gun) to find out exactly what they thought they saw?!?

True, but they don't want to discourage people from reporting what they think is suspecious. They're really pushing the "See something say something" right now and I think that is a good thing as long as idiots don't abuse it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Same here a while back. Turned my scanner on to hear an active shooter situation at the local high school it took a while to hear a scenario being redone to realize it was all an exercise. They need to periodically indicate that it is an exercise or someone is going to barge in to rescue their kid..

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
While not nearly as serious as the potential active shooter incidents mentioned, or those close to the events related to the 9-11, I had an 'unsettling event' as well, some time back.

A long time friend, who had recently moved to the other side of town, dropped by for a visit. We were sitting there shooting the breeze about nothing in particular. Then, we heard Dallas Fire tone out an apartment fire- it was his apartment complex, building, and his apartment number as well. We both said 'what the &%$#" and jumped in my car to get over there as rapidly as possible.

When we arrived, DFD was picking up their equipment and leaving. It turned out that the occupants on the other side of the building, whose bathroom was directly across from his, were burning newspaper in the bathroom sink, and the smoke penetrated over to his apartment (they shared plumbing connections). No idea why the sink bonfire was taking place, but fortunately, no damage to his unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.