Not a LTR Passport site

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

I live 30 miles south of Richmond, Va., and have mast mount preamped antennas towered mounted at 110-120 ft. I hear a lot of signals. Mainly I use a 996T digital scanner and R7000s for analog reception and checking for I/O relationships, etc. For the past several weeks I have been logging what I am hearing on vhf/uhf in scan search modes mainly from NOVA, DC and MD. Ducting results here tend to favor north to south signals and rarely south to north signals.

Morning band openings have been generally quite good for the past several weeks until about 10AM when the ducting tends to dissipate.

This morning scanning UHF one trs signal caught my attention as it sounded like an analog LTR system. I eventually logged all 6 frequencies of the trs. The default channel appeared to be 407.3750 mhz. I just checked the RR database and see it is the federal smr National Mall site. RR lists this trs generically as a LTR Passport site.It is not. The Air and Space Museum is LTR Passport and cannot be monitored.

Am I right or am I wrong? If I am right the RR database info site needs to be annotated one way or the other with a footnote for the National Mall site indicating it is a "regular LTR system". If I am wrong then I am hearing LTR Passport audio.

dtscho

Database Admin
The Smithsonian National Mall system (Air & Space is on this system) is LTR PassPort. You can hear the audio (since it is analog); but you can't track the various talkgroups on the system.

Dave

W4UVV

Tnx for the info

The Smithsonian National Mall system (Air & Space is on this system) is LTR PassPort. You can hear the audio (since it is analog); but you can't track the various talkgroups on the system.

Dave
That being the case previous comments I have read about LTR Passport systems not being able to be monitored are not 100% correct. The audio can be monitored but talkgroups cannot be tracked correctly. A partial solution for this type of situation is to program each trs frequency as group frequencies and scan them conventionally like I do with selected VSP Va. STARS voice frequencies in my BCD796D. If the trs had very low volume use comms this approach would work reasonably well. It's something to try. However with this particular DC trs when I first listened to the 407.3750 mhz. channel I thought I was listening to some prison comms. There were lots of security types in different buildings checking in/out, patrol check ins and door openings/closings by control, etc. Scanning this particular system conventionally would be frustrating but it is something compared to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.