• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Not all in-laws are bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
The FiL has sent us his TiVo! He got a new plasmatv with TiVo built in, so he's sent us his.

Now the question becomes - what all can I do with it?

safetyobc

Tivo is great. I have the Dish Network version they call the DVR (Digital Video Recorder)

You can pause, rewind, live TV. Record your favorite shows. Set up timers to record you shows every week, every time one is on, everytime a new one is on (or all even re runs), Set timers to auto tune to the channel at certain times, record and store shows, movies, etc.

The DVR I have allows you to record up to 100 hours I think. I have had it for about 3 years and still have several hours to spare. By the time I need more hours, I can go through and delete the shows I don't want to watch. YOu can also dub them off on a DVD or VHS.

Life has been changed because of DVR. I would hate to return to normal TV!

Oh and I have a great Father-in-Law as well!

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Looking through their site I see I can make the unit a client on my network. Can I then access network drives from it (pics, music, etc.) or do Ihave to store those items directly on the TiVo HDD?

safetyobc

On the Dish Network, I have to pay I think $5 extra per month.

But I have the "Tivo" capability on 2 TV's in the house. Which means I can record, set timers, etc. on 2 different channels at once.

I think Tivo also has a subscription.

vsny

Bentley,
You have the option of a monthly charge or pay a one time fee which gives lifetime access,that's what my kids did for me last fathers day I was told.
This year they promised me a TV for it on fathers day...i got tired of looking at the logo light which you can option to be off...Tivo with no TV..is it medication time again?

mciupa

DB Administrator
datainmotion said:
The FiL has sent us his TiVo!
Now the question becomes - what all can I do with it?
Watch naughty stuff over...and over...and over...and over...and over again.:roll:
Oh , I've heard this is what people do :lol:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Just to show how pedestrian I am, my first thought was my music and pictures!

Thanks for the idea Mr. Perv :lol:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Got the unit...what a breeze to set up and add to my WLAN.
Now I turn into Amateur Mad Scientist to see what it really can do...bwahahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.