• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Not another HT1250 thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpringHill

hey so im wondering what version of CPS i would need to program a few HT1250 ls+`s running version: R05.13.04? ive poured through the forums and havnt been able to find anything (although im sure its out there)

thank you in advance for your reply!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hey so im wondering what version of CPS i would need to program a few HT1250 ls+`s running version: R05.13.04? ive poured through the forums and havnt been able to find anything (although im sure its out there)

thank you in advance for your reply!
Current and last version of the CPS is R06.12.09

Anything back in the R05. series is probably useless now.

(Helpful hint: Starting a post with "Hey so" or similar is not a good idea.)

SpringHill

(Helpful hint: Starting a post with "Hey so" or similar is not a good idea.)

Yeesh and the criticism begins... My first post as a member of this forum. You don't like it and that's fine. I'm just not sure why we're nit-picking the minute... but I digress.

I had my radios programmed by a local shop earlier and they would not tell me which version of the CPS they were using that was compatible with my radio firmware version (because they want my business, understandably.)

My confusion is: Some people are saying you have to use a certain version of CPS for certain radios and certain firmware versions and others say that each CPS version covers a few different radio firmware versions.

My question is: my radios are firmware version R05.13.04, what version of CPS will let me program them? I know the firmware version and the CPS version numbers do not correspond.

CPS will be purchased legally, I just want to know what I need before I hop on MOL and look like a retard not knowing what I need.

Knowledge is asking, I appreciate the time took to answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4KVE

If you buy your CPS from Moto, it doesn't matter, as they will only sell you the newest version which will always work. The problems comes when you try to program a radio with CPS that is older than what programmed the radio last.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
The firmware version and the CPS version, at least on the Pro Series, aren't really linked. Unlike other product lines, firmware upgrades on them were few and far between and most are not essential for many users.

As Gary pointed out, Motorola will always provide the most current version of the software.

Just a word of caution, the Pro Series hit EOL early last year so you may have to talk to customer service several times to get the item where you can see and order it. The part number is HVN9025.

SpringHill

Great, that clears up a lot. Another question I have (and again, I'm not new to Motorola business radios but I am pretty new to the professional Motorola world) I've noticed if I scan a certain channel, when they're done with their transmission I'll get an un gated or I guess un squelched second of white noise that I only get on one channel. Do you know why that is?

You guys are great. I've been around RR for many years but have never made an account. Thanks for all you guys do

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Great, that clears up a lot. Another question I have (and again, I'm not new to Motorola business radios but I am pretty new to the professional Motorola world) I've noticed if I scan a certain channel, when they're done with their transmission I'll get an un gated or I guess un squelched second of white noise that I only get on one channel. Do you know why that is?

You guys are great. I've been around RR for many years but have never made an account. Thanks for all you guys do

Compare the TPL and Reverse Burst Settings of several personalities. I'm guessing the Reverse Burst is off on that one.

I'm old school and the squelch burst is music to my ears.

SpringHill

I'm in no way against the squelch burst! It's just 3x as loud as the transmission coming through. I can't listen at night for fear of waking my house with KKKKKSSHHHHH KKKKKSSSSHHH all night [emoji23]

RKG

Squelch tail as it is called can also be from a non Moto radio, I know Icom and Ken use a different reverse burst phasing.

Concur, particularly if the channel that gives you the squelch tail is a repeater. Squelch tail is eliminated either by using a turn off tone (Motorola is using a 180 degree phase shift; some others use something different, usually 90 degrees) or by programming repeater to continue carrier without tone for 150 ms. But assuming the settings in your receiving radio are correct, the fix has to be done at the transmitter end.

SpringHill

so i finally got my download, and im getting a "could not open port" error. im running xp and i can see the serial to usb cable under com3 (or com4 if i try other usb ports) but CPS R06.12.09 says it cant open the port... any ideas?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
What make/model USB adapter are you using? Many don't work but the Motorola recommended one is the IOGEAR - GUC232A. I used one to program radios for several years until getting a newer laptop (yes, newer!) that had a real serial port.

clbsquared

Your cable should use the same "com port" regardless of which USB port you're plugging it into. You need to make sure you have the matching com port selected in CPS

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

SpringHill

What make/model USB adapter are you using?

Maxton rpc-m328-u. Im sure its a POS. what should i use, preferably ribless usb

Your cable should use the same "com port" regardless of which USB port you're plugging it into. You need to make sure you have the matching com port selected in CPS

Not if the ports are on a different usb controller. Regardless it shows up on either com3 or com4 as "prolific serial to usb comm port (COM_) and i choose the corresponding com in CPS with that error.

clbsquared

Use a USB cable with an FTDI chipset. Prolific cables are iffy with Moto CPS. Some people have luck with them and some don't. I guess it's just a matter of how much you want to fool with the computer to make them work.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

Is this a repeated channel? If so, then it might be the repeater itself producing the squelch burst. Depending on the quality of the repeater and if users do not have reverse burst set, the repeater could have a significant squelch clash when users un-key. A lot of cheaper repeaters do not have fast acting squelch. Actually, even some higher end Motorola repeaters are not even that great in this department.

A sure way to tell is you would hear it regardless of what radio (or even a scanner) you use. Just food for thought...

SpringHill

I guess I'll let you know how well it works because I just ordered it! Like you said, they're reputable and the local dealer I took my radios to yesterday was using a multi cable to do all their radios! We'll see.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Also wouldn't be surprised if dealer used latest version software to program 6.12.09. That version forces all channels to narrow bandwidth. If you need somrhing wide then 6.12.05 is the version you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.