Not changing to Narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOtaku

Premium Subscriber
I think is was around 2013 when most frequencies had to change to narrowbanding. What about those frequencies that were not required to change? Here is an example:

KCS335 (LIND SCHOOL DISTRICT 158) 45.96000 Emission 20K0F3E (Which is wide band)

I can be 1 block from the antenna right next to a bus receiving transmissions and not hear nothing on my scanner. Were these frequencies changed to narrowband in the database? Can't understand why I am not receiving anything on this frequency. Please help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
January 1, 2013 was the deadline.

It only impacted VHF and UHF Part 90 frequencies.

VHF low band was not impacted by this, neither was 800MHz. There were a few VHF and UHF frequencies that were not required to narrow band, namely paging channels.

Likley the reason you can't pick them up is either:
1. They've changed frequencies and forgot to clear it with the Radio Reference database (in other words, check with the FCC database).
2. You really do need a good antenna for VHF low band. Most of the stock antennas that come with scanners are absolutely lousy on VHF low band.

SkyOtaku

Premium Subscriber
For mobile I use a Spectrum Force Wide Band antenna from Scanner Master. For base antenna that is 3 1/2 blocks line of sight to their base antenna I use a Diamond Discone with LMR400 cable on a 22ft mast to my base which is a BCD536HP. I have check with the FCC database and the frequency is correct and I also checked with the operator of the base station.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have check with the FCC database and the frequency is correct and I also checked with the operator of the base station.

radio operators don't necessarily know anything about the frequencies they are using, but you may have received good information.

There's a hundred different reasons why you may not be able to hear them. It's going to take some detective work on your part to figure out which reason(s) out of those hundred is the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.