not fitting in with the locals

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

I've heard a lot, seen a lot, and been to where you are. Luckily, I had an Elmer. They're usually the one who introduces you to other hams in the local area. I was welcomed in with open arms. Even became a club officer in the group that did the testing for the area. The only problem was they didn't have a repeater. Lots of simplex with them. My friend who got me into radio suggested we try another club. We had some common friends there. Talking on a repeater back in the mid 80's was much better than now. I was involved in skywarn, doing bike and foot races. Loved every minute until they started acting like it was a business. To many cliques back then and now. I have kept my license even though most of the things I enjoyed about radio, skywarn and other disaster stuff became to much like the government. Too many restrictions, too many classes. Made a lot of friends in ham radio. Made some enemies too;) I will always keep my license current. You would be surprised how many hams are into model railroading. The most active way to talk on ham radio now is D-star. Echolink is out there too. Via a 2m rig set up with D-star, or the cheaper way--digital dongle, and a computer. You can talk all over Canada, the US, and around the world. Be patient. There are a lot of self centered bone heads who just can't get over themselves:) Keep trying, you might be amazed. Listen to how they make their contacts. Wait for a break in the conversation, key the mic with your call, and be patient. They might just not have heard you. And don't call for a 'radio check'. Most of the older hams will stick you into the catagory of being a 'chicken chokin' CBer. Sorry for the long rant. I feel your pain. The only active time where I live is the morning and evening commute. The sad thing is, I can find more friends with stuff in common on GMRS:>P
Larry

LowbandGuy

Remote Location Maritime Provinces, Canada
I've read this thread with interest. I think I have experienced all of the above. Rather than dwell on the negative, I would like to tell you I have met some great people. There are people in my club who are very passionate about Amateur Radio who would do just about anything to help you. Sometimes you just have to ask. My advice: it is a great hobby, don't give up on it.

N1BHH

Agreed. Repeaters are funny like that. Some people just don't wanna talk to someone they don't know (how'd they ever meet anyone that way right?).

If repeaters aren't your thing, try 2m simplex. You'll generally find that most people on 2m simplex are looking for people close to their area, and since most simplex frequencies aren't "hang-out" spots like repeaters can be, you'll generally find most simplex-ers are looking to start a conversation with just about anyone.

Repeaters aren't funny, it's the operators on the repeaters. If someone comes in that is just a little weak, they get ignored by some. So many hams can be a bit stuffy.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Not really too much to add to what has already been said. I've been a ham now for 10 years. I was fortunate enough to attend a local class held for the tech/novice theory exam. Some of my good friends were holding it and asked if I was interested in attending. So I did. I had read the question book prior to attending it so it was a great review for me. The General, Extra, and Code tests I studied for on my own.

I was introduced to my local club before I was licensed, so I got to meet them and got to know them before I got on the air. And when I was first licensed and got my equipment I was talking to them almost immediately. They were some really nice people and would talk to anyone, so you could say that I made myself at home on the local repeaters and always checked into nets and identified myself as "mobile" whenever I would go out.

The local club has had its problems in the past and we have tried to recover. I guess it's just the fact of "friction" among some of the members that eventually drove a few of them away. I still belong to the local club but they no longer conduct weekly nets and only conduct meetings every six months now. Since I basically work all of the time now, i can never make it to a meeting anymore. Also the repeaters remain very quiet around here, but sometimes once it a great while you will hear a call go out.

I've been on HF a couple of times and tried to join in with a "niche" or group on 75m but I feel just like you do on 2 meters. I feel somewhat "left out" but I was not totally ignored. I would be acknowledged when I was present but I mostly did more listening to the other guys communicate instead of communicating myself. They were more interested it chatting with each other. So I mainly just use 2 meters when I'm on the air.

As others have mentioned don't give up. There are plenty of frequencies and bands as well as people to get acquainted with and Echolink is a great start.

73s

Chad

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
I was introduced to my local club before I was licensed, so I got to meet them and got to know them before I got on the air. And when I was first licensed and got my equipment I was talking to them almost immediately. They were some really nice people and would talk to anyone, so you could say that I made myself at home on the local repeaters and always checked into nets and identified myself as "mobile" whenever I would go out.
There are classes offer by the club around here also, but I couldn't see waiting to late fall for them when I was already ready to take the test. But I do agree, I'd probably met more people that way to get started.

I've been on HF a couple of times and tried to join in with a "niche" or group on 75m but I feel just like you do on 2 meters. I feel somewhat "left out" but I was not totally ignored. I would be acknowledged when I was present but I mostly did more listening to the other guys communicate instead of communicating myself. They were more interested it chatting with each other. So I mainly just use 2 meters when I'm on the air.

As others have mentioned don't give up. There are plenty of frequencies and bands as well as people to get acquainted with and Echolink is a great start.

73s

Chad
I've have been on Echolink, and checked in to a net from Australia the other day :) And I'm sure, given time I'll find more to talking the air. I am pretty limited with just a 5 watt HT. and being an an apartment limits me ability to put up a HF antenna, but I'm still going to try, probably with a QRP radio since my cat and me will be in stuff close proximity to it.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Fitting In

There are classes offer by the club around here also, but I couldn't see waiting to late fall for them when I was already ready to take the test. But I do agree, I'd probably met more people that way to get started.

I've have been on Echolink, and checked in to a net from Australia the other day :) And I'm sure, given time I'll find more to talking the air. I am pretty limited with just a 5 watt HT. and being an an apartment limits me ability to put up a HF antenna, but I'm still going to try, probably with a QRP radio since my cat and me will be in stuff close proximity to it.

Yes I'm sure in the very near future that you will find some locals to chat with. I was like you, though, ready to test before attending the class. The practice tests that they gave really helped me when it came time to take it. At the time, I had to pass the Novice and Technician before getting the Technician license so trying to memorize a 3000+ question pool was very difficult. If I can get my Echolink back running again I'll try to look you up.

73s and happy hamming!

Chad

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...I am pretty limited with just a 5 watt HT...

Which is exactly why, when asked, I advise against getting an HT as a first rig for new hams. When that's all you have, frustrations abound, and many lose interest and drop out, before they ever have a chance to see what the hobby is really about.

K4APR

Over time, you are going to find that this hobby offers MUCH MORE than just sitting on a 2m repeater and talking. There are so many facets, you may never go back to that. I know I haven't in years. I spend most time playing with APRS/Packet, HF and PSK31. The digital modes really have my attention and I enjoy the occasional chat on HF. Maybe operate a contest or three. Most of my voice work is between my wife and I on UHF (440) simplex.

Clubs, groups, cliques, whatever you want to call them can be really diverse groups across the spectrum (not radio spectrum :)) Some areas will have very accepting clubs, with friendly, helpful people. These tend to be the clubs that recognize the fact that the hobby is dwindling and nothing is going to change that unless they enforce the hobby with good support to the people coming in, as well as actively going out to recruit.

Other areas have clubs that are closed-off, cold, bitter and very un-accepting of new members in the hobby. Luckily, these groups are dying and going away with their old age. I never like to see people leave the hobby, but these are the kinds of people that you want to tell them to not let the door hit them on the ass, on the way out. That's just the honest truth about it.

For example, I knew a guy who was formerly of a California repeater group. He explained to me how you became a member. You had to be INVITED to a breakfast where you were essentially interviewed (read, sized up) by the other members. After that, you were asked to leave while they made a decision. They would contact you at later time with the answer. Once you were accepted, you had to pay one of the members about $100 to have him install a PL board in your radio to access the repeater. It was some odd freq PL, that was closely guarded. (Personally, I found that funny because I have a $5000 service monitor that will tell me that PL freq in seconds.)

Anyways, stick with it, poke around and check out the different options that you have. Don't get discouraged and enjoy the hobby for what it is, not the people that can come along and try to ruin it for you.

Good luck!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Over time, you are going to find that this hobby offers MUCH MORE than just sitting on a 2m repeater and talking.

This is so true. 2m fm through repeaters is probably the lowest common denominator in ham radio, but for so many, it's their first exposure and all they end up doing. No wonder they get bored and leave the hobby.

There are so many facets, you may never go back to that. I know I haven't in years.

I haven't either. It's been more than 30 years since I've been on a 2m repeater.

Clubs, groups, cliques, whatever you want to call them can be really diverse groups across the spectrum (not radio spectrum :)) Some areas will have very accepting clubs, with friendly, helpful people...

Other areas have clubs that are closed-off, cold, bitter and very un-accepting of new members in the hobby...

Funny... I've heard that complaint often, but I've never actually run into a group like that. I'm a member of a number of closed systems, and although they're all very selective, they're not necessarily cold, bitter, and unaccepting of new members. They simply have a specific goal in mind when it comes to new members, and if you meet that goal, great. If not, than these groups are not for you.

For example, I knew a guy who was formerly of a California repeater group. He explained to me how you became a member. You had to be INVITED to a breakfast where you were essentially interviewed (read, sized up) by the other members.

This part of the process is actually quite common. Membership is usually by invitation only. This is the rule, rather than the exception in California, on bands other than 2m.

But I've never heard of the $100 for a pl board. I suspect that's a more of a myth than anything. In practical terms, few modern radios even have room for an add on PL board.

Don't get discouraged and enjoy the hobby for what it is, not the people that can come along and try to ruin it for you.

Absolutely. There really IS something for everyone. It's just a matter of finding it.

N8IAA

No wonder when I was visiting my son and his wife in CA a few years ago that nobody answered back to my callsign. If I had known how closed off the California hams were to those not members of the inner circle, I wouldn't have taken the ht. Just my scanner would have been packed. Any club, or repeater organization I've been a member of always had dues required to access the different functions of the repeater. There isn't anyone I'd give $100 dollars to install something MY radio;)
JMTCW,
Larry

ve3zo

Do not get discouraged, I also got my amateur license the same as yourself. No course, no elmer, keep getting on the repeaters, get involved in the local clubs. Persistence pays off, trust me, it will be worth it.

Chris
VE3ZO

N8IAA

Which is exactly why, when asked, I advise against getting an HT as a first rig for new hams. When that's all you have, frustrations abound, and many lose interest and drop out, before they ever have a chance to see what the hobby is really about.

Did you ever consider that some people are restricted by where they live and what they can put up? Most drop out because of lack of anyone to help them into the service. Lack of involvement for me is due to how regimented ham clubs/organiziations have become.
Larry

Mike-KC8OWL

"So it left me feeling like I just don't belong in this hobby if that the way I'm going to be treated. I passed my test, on my own, so I've proven I have at least the right to be on the air. But I haven't had any real conversations, other then briefs nets-type check-in. Is this typical for new ham to experience? Or should I just accept this is a "just us" type area and go back to online games and model trains? "

Unfortunately I have seen this happen many times too. I have never been able to understand the mind-set of some of the hams that park on the repeaters and use them as if they were their own private system. The same mind-set follows them to the club meetings. Again, I sat through several meetings watching new people be pushed to to back of the room and excluded from the inner-clique conversations. For a hobby that is shringing in number, this type of activity always turned me off.

My advise to you is to listen a lot for a while and see if you can identify any others who give an indication they may have an interst in something you also have an interst in (aside from ham radio). Examples would include scanners, guns, trains, computers, etc. This will help you establish a common ground with a few regulars and from there you can work your way into the mix more easily. The key is to have something to add to the conversation at first and then let it roll from there.

Good luck and hang in there ...

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Did you ever consider that some people are restricted by where they live and what they can put up?

Certainly. There are ways around that. When I lived in an apartment some years ago, I made a coaxial vertical and suspended it from the ceiling on a hook, then ran a mobile radio on it. An HT just wouldn't cut it from that location.

There's always a way around those restrictions.

Most drop out because of lack of anyone to help them into the service. Lack of involvement for me is due to how regimented ham clubs/organiziations have become.
Larry

It's a two way street. I have no problem encouraging new hams, and offering suggestions. But by the time the third suggestion is shrugged off as "but that's too hard" or "but I can't have antennas", I'll walk away. And THAT is the problem, the way I see it - if it isn't 'cellphone easy', a lot of people won't go to the trouble.

Regimented clubs isn't really the issue. Clubs are formed to join people with a common interest. If the common interest is to provide life support for an open repeater, then great. But many clubs (and their repeaters) are intended to be much more focused than that. The trick is to find the club that caters to your interest. If it's a good fit, even the tightest knit group will let you in.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
No wonder when I was visiting my son and his wife in CA a few years ago that nobody answered back to my callsign. If I had known how closed off the California hams were to those not members of the inner circle, I wouldn't have taken the ht.

Yeah, California hams are odd that way. But there ARE plenty of open 2m repeaters. If you tried some other band, particularly 440, the vast majority of them are closed or private. "Closed" or "Private" doesn't mean "impossible" to join, however, so it's not as bad as some people will make it out to be.

Just my scanner would have been packed. Any club, or repeater organization I've been a member of always had dues required to access the different functions of the repeater. There isn't anyone I'd give $100 dollars to install something MY radio

I'm curious what bands/repeaters you tried to use. Southern California has an extremely complex environment... the diversity of people creates a large number of systems that cater to particular interests. There are even systems that are Spanish and Filipino language only. That's how specialized they can get. And it's not so much that they're unfriendly, it's just a focused user group they're serving.

The more I think about it, the more I kinda like the idea of the $100 PL board. But sell me the board. I'll put it in myself. :p

K4APR

No wonder when I was visiting my son and his wife in CA a few years ago that nobody answered back to my callsign. If I had known how closed off the California hams were to those not members of the inner circle, I wouldn't have taken the ht.

I was licensed when I was 12 years old, around 93-94 time period. Shortly after, my mother took my brother and I out to L.A. to visit some family. Being new in the hobby and armed with an HTX202 and brand new ARRL repeater directory, the flight gave me some time to thumb through the pages and pages and pages...and pages (you get the idea) of repeaters in CA, especially the L.A. area. I was so excited to get on them and talk to anyone who came along. Within 30 minutes of our family picking us up, we were heading down the road and I was putting my call out on every repeater I could hit. I tried not to be annoying, just call once on a machine, wait a few minutes and then move on. I don't think I tried twice on a single one. Guess what, nothing. Until I came along a repeater with a couple of guys already talking. I waited for a break, dropped my call in and one of them ack'ed me. They said hi, but made it very clear that they had no interest in someone else, a kid nontheless, taking away from their precious chatting time to talk about meaningless BS.

The only other person I talked to the whole two weeks we were there was a 2m machine that was in the Disneyland park and that guy just happend to be from out of town as well and remarked that his experience had been much like mine the whole time he was there.

I'm not saying ALL CA hams are this way, but my experience was not that great.

There isn't anyone I'd give $100 dollars to install something MY radio;)

I guess I have to explain that this guy was still talking about his "glory years" when he was radio king in the area he lived in (a legend in his own mind). This was probaly early 80s, back when radios were much larger, plenty of room to squeeze in a tone board of some kind and could easily be set to an odd tone.

ModelTrainGeek

Premium Subscriber
I'm not surprised about the stories about California repeaters, I tried to connect to a LA one via Echolink and it refused the connection because I was not a -R also...

On the good side, I've run in to a few locals now that are friendly and starting to feel welcome by them :)

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...I'm not saying ALL CA hams are this way, but my experience was not that great...

On factor that has not been mentioned... as you can see in the ARRL repeater directory, there are multitudes of repeaters listed, several on each and every frequency pair in the region. But not all of them actually get used much. It's not at all uncommon to listen to a repeater for a week, and never hear a soul use the damned thing.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It gets worse, the ARRL directory depends on information supplied by coordinating committees, many of which no longer exist and the League cannot properly update the listings. Worse yet many of the owners are still sitting on their pairs by keeping them coordinated long after their repeaters have gone dark making them unavailable to new users. Paper repeaters are yet another reason why we call machines ego boxes aside from the fact egomaniacs are often found on them. The bottom line here is with the exception of a very few on line directories updated and verified by the site owner they're long out of date and the ARRL publication as useless as teats on a bull.

This is one of many reasons why an HT makes such a lousy starter rig, more power and a good outdoor antenna is required for simplex operation and with FM, simplex is where it's at. Better yet an all mode rig will introduce you to the "real hams" using CW, SSB and occasionally digital modes and operating in the same manner as on HF. Just remember that FM is the only mode using vertical polarization, you'll need a horizontal delta loop at least for the good stuff. Oh and BTW during an opening you won't hear us working DX on FM being the power hungry mode, we're down the band duck quacking and pounding brass.

I'll give you something to think about, in recent years repeater activity has fallen flat, as if you haven't noticed there are "57 channels with nothing on" to paraphrase Dire Straits. We're out there, just not on "2M CB".

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Non radio hams

Sorry, haven't taken the time to read all posts. Some people may [not saying it happened hear] get off to the wrong foot in amateur radio. And if this happens on 2 m. it will be tough for a new comer to be accepted. In my area, all the amateur radio clubs are more than welcoming. No problem with any club. But if you don't start on the right foot, it will be difficult to fit in. My view on why 2 m. is dead in some areas is the "computer age". Everyone wants to do things via the computer, ie: Echolink, or via phone [iPhones]. That will kill off more repeaters than EMI. For myself, I don't want to be tied down to a computer. I want to be out and about with an HT [if in good range of a repeater], mobile, etc.. However, with the "distracted driver laws" being implemented, this is killing off my enthusiam for HF mobile and VHF/UHF. But I still refuse to be swayed by the "computer age". The computer just means people [note I did not say hams/amateurs] have the ability to only talk with whom they want. And it takes people away from being "on the air" for new comers and people traveling [while they can still use mobile radios] to other areas of the country. They are tied to their headphones and mics. on echolink so don't listen or hear people on repeaters. People in "retirement" homes and apartments can still get onto real radios with a little effort and time. Plus, some people are working more now to make ends meet so it takes away from true radio. I know myself, I live in an antenna restricted area and on a small lot, so my HF antenna farm is not there. The little antenna I have doesn't allow talking on HF. But I am starting to enjoy the improving HF prop. with the starting of Sunspot 24. Very busy last evening listening to the contest on 75/80 m.. That is true radio and everyone should upgrade or listen on HF as it is a lot more interesting than the "computer age", at least for me. And with the improving prop. my little antenna system will give me some use for the next 5-8 years. Hopefully, more people will be able to give this a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.