not fitting in with the locals

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
People won't come to you...you have to make your own introductions. This is true in life in general.

The hobby isn't for everyone, but it is definitely what you make of it.

A lot of people's first questions when they see my radio set up in my car are angled along "so what do you get out of it...what can it do for me". "Radio people" ask me how it works instead. About six guys got licensed after talking to me about the hobby. They all 'get it'.

An apartment is tough though as it limits your choices quite a lot.

hockeyshrink

Well, I think I need a hobby that more predictable, and less stress (having other stress relate health probs to start with) So I figure when all is said and done.. I will probably refocus on trains and computers, maybe get a new scanner.. I goto in to ham finally thinking it's be more active and more social talking, which is what I wanted. But I didn't know anybody going in to it.. and that just doesn't work from what I seen.

But at least I got my license, proved I could do it.. and just move on now..

A hobby should not be stressful, but I have gotten more stress from dealing with RadioReference than I have with ham radio ;)

Sounds like you have thrown in the towel already, but consider this: Field Day is coming up the last weekend in June. That is when a club will descend upon a park and work together to set up stations, often with several exhibits and activities for the public as well. It is not like going to a meeting and sitting there...it is active and a great way to meet people and ASK QUESTIONS. Hams love to tell you about their experiences and help other hams fix problems.

You have already invested time, energy, and money to begin exploring this hobby, and you have barely scratched the surface. You owe it to yourself to make one more serious attempt, and Field Day is an excellent opportunity to do that.

(They have Field Day in Canada too.) Yes, those same ARES people will be there, but here's your chance to go up to them and say, "Hi, I'm 'Geek.' I'm new to ham radio but I'm really interested in ARES work...can I hang out with you guys? How can I help? Hey, any ideas for getting up an antenna for working 20m in a tight space? I tried but it did not work so well."

I understand your frustrations, and also understand your thinking of bagging it altogether, but don't quit before you really give it your best try... unless you are really not interested, in which case just close the thread and go.

"You will never score, 100% of the time, on shots you do not take."
- Wayne Gretzky

'shrink

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
After two months trying to get to a local club meeting, I finally made it last night. Got to see a lof of folks I have been listening to for over six months, and what a difference. Everyone was fairly great. I even seen one guy who took his test when I did a couple of months ago. It makes a difference when everyone treats you like you've been around awhile, and it felt good. Looking forward to learning more from the vetrens and younger folks. There are a few clubs around town, so I plan to visit a few to check them all out. Still no equipment yet, but hopefully soon! Had a couple of folks offer to loan me an HT until I got something! That's just too cool!

racer38

Something that has really got me back into the HAM scene is working some of the Satellites. I just picked up an Arrow Antenna which is a hand held dual band Yagi, and worked 3 different satellites today.
I havent touched a radio in a few years, but this peaked my interest and it can be tough to get through on the sats as everyone is trying but its just too cool to talk with someone from another country via a dual band HT ..

bill4long

The OP's post and those like it remind me of average looking guys whining about how the beautiful women won't go out with them. "How can they do that to me? I'm such a nice guy!"

The bottom line is, ham radio is just another medium for humans to interact. Human nature is still there, with all the rules of attraction and friendship that exist in the "real world." Getting a license changes absolutely nothing, except that now you are legally allowed to transmit on the ham frequencies. If you are socially awkward or uninteresting, it changes nothing.

The key is to work on yourself.

And here's why it may be worth it to stick around on ham radio: you will have a chance to develop your social skills. I am a natural introvert, and ham radio has been a great blessing to me over the years. Some of my best life long friends (30+ years) have come by way of radio. I would probably have no close friends had it not been for radio. They key is to have a friendly disposition, and have things in common with people. When you converse, be more interested in THEM, instead of YOU. People love to talk about themselves. And I would NOT discuss your personal problems on the air. EVER. Strangers naturally recoil at negative personal info. People on ham radio are not your therapists. They are generally there to have fun.

These days I have absolutely no problem making contacts and friends on ham radio. The most fertile ground is HF, IMO, not the locals on FM repeaters who tend to be cliquish, but not always. It really does boil down to having a pleasing, upbeat personality and being interested in THEM. I find 40 meter SSB full of old timers that enjoy making new contacts.

BTW, try reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People" if you haven't done so. That could help a lot.

73 and good luck

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I can't see any point in reviving this thread after 5 years has passed.

Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.