Not hearing activity on MCSO and PPB TAC 2 Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I currently listen exclusively to only MCSO, PPB, and PDX Airport PD Law talkgroups on the Portland P25 Phase 1 system. I am scanning a single small favorite list of only Dispatch and TAC 2 talkgroups of those law enforcement departments. If you look at the database for the Portland P25 system, you’ll note that nearly all Law TAC 1 talkgroups for those departments are encrypted, so I didn’t put those talkgroups in my scanned favorite list. I also have not locked out any talkgroups. I consistently hear those departments on dispatch call out their intended switch to TAC 2 for officer to officer side communications, but when they say they are going over to TAC 2, I never hear any TAC 2 conversations. Can anyone else confirm what I’m experiencing?
Puzzled, and thanks in advance,
ScottPDX

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I hear voice traffic on the various Tac 2 channels occasionally. I can't say I have recently, but in the not-too-distant past I have. They don't seem to use these all that much anymore. I suspect a lot of the radio chatter that used to take place on the Tac channels now happens over cell phones or even as text messages between parties.

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
Found my answer: I'm new with Uniden Sentinel and the SDS200, and I found out that the default service types were only enabled in Sentinel in the Profile. So enabling "Law TAC" in with the default Service Types allowed me to scan the LAW TAC channels.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, if you’re new to Uniden the SDS series could be a beast to learn. Once you get the hang of their DMA programming scheme you’ll enjoy it a lot more. You can really customize these radios exactly the way you want, even the SDS display can be customized at a granular level. If you haven’t seen it already, Mark’s Easier to Read 436/536 manual is a great place to start, as the SDS shares 95% of its programming DNA with those older models:

His Sentinel manual is a must-read as well:

Status
Not open for further replies.