Not hearing city channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snaf

After my Pro-96 went kaput I got a BCD436HP and I like it a lot but am having a problem.

After programming my county into it using Sentinel I noticed no calls from my local city at all. I checked the database and it is listed under the county|Law Enforcement|Municipal Police.

All of the descriptor fields (audio type, delay, etc) for the city and county are the same. I can hear the county but not the city.

I tested by making a Favorite List using just the three city channels and when I set up the scanner with only it on I get the message that there's nothing to scan.

I heard the city frequently on the Pro-96.

Any idea what's going on?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
After programming my county into it using Sentinel I noticed no calls from my local city at all.

You've left out some essential information.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
State and county and system info needed pls.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Snaf

Please excuse my noobiness. I thought this might be more of a generic problem or mistake on my end and did not realize that specific locations were needed.

County - Montgomery, Maryland
City - Takoma Park (I also think other city channels are missing--Rockville, Gaithergburg, etc. I haven't tested them but now I'm thinking about it don't recall hearing them on the new scanner either.)

Thanks.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Actually, even better would be a link to the RRDB page that has the system(s) you are having problems with.

How did you program? Did you drag/drop from the main database or key everything in by hand?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
After my Pro-96 went kaput I got a BCD436HP and I like it a lot but am having a problem.

After programming my county into it using Sentinel I noticed no calls from my local city at all. I checked the database and it is listed under the county|Law Enforcement|Municipal Police.

All of the descriptor fields (audio type, delay, etc) for the city and county are the same. I can hear the county but not the city.

I tested by making a Favorite List using just the three city channels and when I set up the scanner with only it on I get the message that there's nothing to scan.

I heard the city frequently on the Pro-96.

Any idea what's going on?

Please excuse my noobiness. I thought this might be more of a generic problem or mistake on my end and did not realize that specific locations were needed.

County - Montgomery, Maryland
City - Takoma Park (I also think other city channels are missing--Rockville, Gaithergburg, etc. I haven't tested them but now I'm thinking about it don't recall hearing them on the new scanner either.)

Thanks.
Did you manually create your original Favorites list?

And on the second one you tried, with 'nothing to scan', was that one manually created, rather than appending from the database?

If so, and if you did NOT enter the location information (latitude & longitude), that may be part of your problem. For information appended from the main database, then perhaps edited to remove items not of interest, or out of range (like from a statewide or regional system), the location data from RadioReference is carried over when appended. So, if you are scanning, with location control selected, and with your correct location entered, those frequencies and/or talkgroups will be scanner.

When manually created, the location is set to 0.0 degrees for both latitude & longitude. That location is off the coast of northwest Africa, and would be 'out of range' for you. Either in your profile in Sentinel, or via the Scanner's menu, try turning location control off, then starting the scanner again, and see what happens. Also verify that the correct Service Types are shown for the channels/talkgroups, and that they are enabled in the scanner as well as in Sentinel.

AKJohnny

Scanner Addict
Premium Subscriber
As mentioned above, make sure you have the correct Service Type on, AND be sure your favorite list is set to Monitor = ON.

Snaf

I created the favorites lists using Sentinel.

The Service Type being off in the scanner was the problem.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.