Not much but its getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
Here is what I have so far, only started getting really deep into scanning and Ham Radio halfway through last year, currently, all I have are 2 SDR dongles that I use to stream trunked radio to broadcastify (Fulton County Public Safety Live Audio Feed). I want in the future to get a BCD436HP and an SDS200 but that's a bit more than I can afford at this day and age. Also, get some sort of long wire antenna for listening to SW, I have a DiPole antenna right now just nowhere I can mount it to.

I send weather data to Wunderground (Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground)
I have a VirtualRadar site (http://thompsonserver.thomp.site/virtualradar)

radio3353

I like your antenna setup. If you can't find room for the wire antennas you could always consider an active vertical or loop for SW. Your wind speed sensor will be affected by your roof. Wind speed sensors should be 30 feet up over a flat terrain for accurate measurements. I know that may be difficult, but just be aware that your readings will not be accurate. Life is a compromise :) I like your web pages.

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
I like your antenna setup. If you can't find room for the wire antennas you could always consider an active vertical or loop for SW. Your wind speed sensor will be affected by your roof. Wind speed sensors should be 30 feet up over a flat terrain for accurate measurements. I know that may be difficult, but just be aware that your readings will not be accurate. Life is a compromise :) I like your web pages.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely consider the wire loop given I am going to college this year and setting up a long wire in a dorm room isn't exactly ideal. But you should have seen my setup before all I had holding up my antennas was a broom handle with zip ties (no clue how that survived 3 years of Georgia weather) but I recently decided since I have nothing else better to do is to cut a 2x4 in half and mount it with some u bolts for some extra security, any suggestions for an active vertical or loop antenna I should get I am very new to all the antennas but want to become knowledgeable in the for the future.

radio3353

...But you should have seen my setup before all I had holding up my antennas was a broom handle with zip ties (no clue how that survived 3 years of Georgia weather)...

True story...many, many decades ago when I was in my early teens I made an antenna from straightened metal clothes hangers and mounted it to a bamboo pole I found somewhere. Ran a wire from it through my window to my Radio Shack DX-160 receiver. I managed to pull in quite a few countries with it. Of course, back then, there were many powerhouse transmitters blasting away on shortwave. Fun times.

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
True story...many, many decades ago when I was in my early teens I made an antenna from straightened metal clothes hangers and mounted it to a bamboo pole I found somewhere. Ran a wire from it through my window to my Radio Shack DX-160 receiver. I managed to pull in quite a few countries with it. Of course, back then, there were many powerhouse transmitters blasting away on shortwave. Fun times.
It sounds like it. I hope to expand my setup soon get some better receivers and antennas.

JDrisc3480

Here is what I have so far, only started getting really deep into scanning and Ham Radio halfway through last year, currently, all I have are 2 SDR dongles that I use to stream trunked radio to broadcastify (Fulton County Public Safety Live Audio Feed). I want in the future to get a BCD436HP and an SDS200 but that's a bit more than I can afford at this day and age. Also, get some sort of long wire antenna for listening to SW, I have a DiPole antenna right now just nowhere I can mount it to.

I send weather data to Wunderground (Personal Weather Station Dashboard | Weather Underground)
I have a VirtualRadar site (http://thompsonserver.thomp.site/virtualradar)

View attachment 84065

View attachment 84063

View attachment 84062
I thought about getting a dongle or two. How is it working out for you?

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
I thought about getting a dongle or two. How is it working out for you?
Great so far had the RTLSDR dongle for about 3 years and works amazing havent had much to compare it to however. I got the nooelec a year ago its great and all but the one grievance I have with it is the usb port is so flimsy you breathe on it and it will disconnect from your computer. But for something as inexpensive as SDR dongles are they are 100% worth it. They work great and with the right setup and can be a great receiver for any frequency I can listen to FM, airport ATC towers, trunked radio at 900-400mhz and even decoded ADSB traffic for a while with ADSB# all around solid unit.

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
Your wind speed sensor will be affected by your roof. Wind speed sensors should be 30 feet up over a flat terrain for accurate measurements.
Not sure if this will change much but the picture is deceptive the wind sensor clears my roof. Before it was just mounted to the pipe with no wood making it stand up but now its mounted so it clears the roof and with minimal obstructions.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I agree that the roof will have an affect on the weather station but you do what you gotta do.

Status
Not open for further replies.