Not picking up any digital frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icetime

I have a GRE-500, over the past week I have not picked up anything digitally. I am able to pick up non-digital frequencies (weather). I had the scanner programmed when I purchased it about three years ago, so my experience with it has been limited to only turning the unit off and on.

The signal strength goes from one bar to all bars, and then no bars. The Trunking Control indicator symbol blinks on briefly, and then goes away completely for a few seconds. Digital transmissions are never received. I changed out the antenna, that didn't make a difference.

Is this an issue that I need to send the unit off to be repaired, or is this something that can easily be repaired myself? Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
No digital

I have a GRE-500, over the past week I have not picked up anything digitally. I am able to pick up non-digital frequencies (weather). I had the scanner programmed when I purchased it about three years ago, so my experience with it has been limited to only turning the unit off and on.

The signal strength goes from one bar to all bars, and then no bars. The Trunking Control indicator symbol blinks on briefly, and then goes away completely for a few seconds. Digital transmissions are never received. I changed out the antenna, that didn't make a difference.

Is this an issue that I need to send the unit off to be repaired, or is this something that can easily be repaired myself? Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

The best answer for you will come if you provide your location, Are there any digital systems in your area on the database? If so consider your antenna setup. Are you using just the duckie that came with the scanner? You see it's hard to help if you only give few or no details. No doubt most people here want to help but won't without the details.

Icetime

I am located in Granite City, IL part of the Starcom 21 system.

Yes, I am referring to the antenna that came with the unit.

Let me know if you need additional details from me to help me solve this problem. Thanks!

n5ims

One other thing (quite easily could cause what you're indicating) is that your system has rebanded (Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki) which would've changed what frequencies they operate on so your old programming would no longer be correct. Like 737mech said, without your location (city, state, and county) or even better what system you're attempting to monitor (preferrably a link to the system in the RR database like this one --> Roanoke City / Roanoke County (Motorola) Trunking System, Roanoke, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies) it's only a huge guess as to what may be going on. With that info, we may be able to pinpoint the issue and provide you with some instructions on how you may correct your issue and return to scanning your desired system.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
He did mention that he was in Granite City, IL. Quick search says it's in Madison County, Illinois. He's looking at the StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies.

I'm extremely new to scanning myself so I can't offer all the technical information that people who have been doing it for years can. Now I have a Pro-106, so I'll try to help you the best I can.

Looking at the update reports for Madison County, they've been messing with the system and taken a tower offline to be replaced with a new Simulcast system that altered some of the older frequencies you might have been using about a week ago.

You can try the following. Hit 'PGM' > 'EDIT' > right arrow until you see 'TSYS' > choose the old system's name (up and down arrows) and hit 'EDIT' > scroll down until you see 'Frequencies: SEL'. I would suggest that you write down and share the old frequencies at this point so that you don't wipe your old frequencies that might cause some issues when traveling and share them here so that we can help you farther.

Now IF you really don't care about leaving the house with your GRE-500 and stay landlocked (I doubt this as you have a handheld scanner), then feel free to enter 851.87500, 852.13750, and 852.30000 for Ch01, Ch02, and Ch03 and save the changes. Now I've heard Simulcast systems might cause some distortions so you might want to do some searching about that. Hopes this helps!

Last edited:

N1BHH

You should look out your window and notice that there is now some foliage. That will be one reason for loss of signals. It must be noted that while your scanner is scanning the T will appear as it scans by a trunk system, that means it is working. It could just be that there is not much traffic on the system. And one other thing to consider is a fail soft situation. That's something that is out of your hands, these usually clear up in a short period of time.

Icetime

Rebanding

It seems that my problem is a result of rebanding that occurred last week (Madison County, IL; Starcom 21 System). The have rearranged to a simulcast system.

I guess now I've got to figure out the best way to make this fix. Any suggestions?

N8IAA

A short trip to the RR datatbase for Starcom, shows that Madison county's tower rebanded as of 4/24/12. So, if the frequencies were put in three years ago, they will need to be updated for the scanner to work. Do you have the USB cable that came with the radio? If so, that with a thirty day free trial of Win500 and a premium subscription to RR, you will be able to import the new frequencies into your scanner and hear all the action again:)
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.