Not receiving Law enforcement - Greene County Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincec57

I just purchased a Uniden BCD536HP scanner. This is one of the models recommended by Greene County Mo. I'm a newbie to scanning and this scanner so maybe I'm missing something simple, but I've only been receiving calls from EMS from one hospital and one Fire department. No law enforcement or anything else. I programmed the Zip for central Springfield, Mo. I looked through scan list and it showed county sheriff and Springfield P.D. dispatches but am not getting any calls...Any Idea where to start?
There is so much info in the manuals it's hard to know where to look...

Chris0516

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a Uniden BCD536HP scanner. This is one of the models recommended by Greene County Mo. I'm a newbie to scanning and this scanner so maybe I'm missing something simple, but I've only been receiving calls from EMS from one hospital and one Fire department. No law enforcement or anything else. I programmed the Zip for central Springfield, Mo. I looked through scan list and it showed county sheriff and Springfield P.D. dispatches but am not getting any calls...Any Idea where to start?
How did you program it i.e. by-hand or scanner programming software? Also, Did you use the data from this page:
1645215406605.png

Did you include the Control Channels(the ones' in red)? The digital channels can't be heard w/o the Control Channels

PVchief2

Premium Subscriber
Gcso,SPD switched to digital p25 last week without notice as of this writing currently the county fire radios are in the process of being reformatted for it also by city utility’s who control the system how ever will be sometime b4 they go live but will still be simulcast on vhf 154.400 as well for main Mercy is still on 800 with talk group of 496 I too have bought the 536hp and have been struggling with the problems of picking up Greene co and SPD . I only have a apple IPad gen 8 and going to try the dongle WiFi tonight we’ll see how it does the zip code enter does same as you describe, and entering the control chs does no good on the new P25 mowins system.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums & thanks for giving your location. Looks like your county migrated to the trunked radio system here. As suggested above, make sure Law Dispatch & Law Tac service types are turned on. HOWEVER, after doing this you may experience a phenominon known as simulcast distortion, perhaps the most discussed issue on these forums. In a simulcast system, a site is not a single transmitter at a specific location, but rather a collection of transmitters spread out over a certain area that all transmit on the same frequency at the same time. It's all those signals coming to your scanner at the same time that cause most scanners to lock up, stutter, miss transmissions, etc. Ultimately the only scanners designed to mitigate the effects of simulcast distortion are the Uniden SDS100 (portable) or SDS200 (base). Yes they are the most expensive but they do the job right. There are a number of workarounds for other scanners mentioned in the wiki I linked but they work in very few cases.

1645222121186.png

Vincec57

Welcome to the forums & thanks for giving your location. Looks like your county migrated to the trunked radio system here. As suggested above, make sure Law Dispatch & Law Tac service types are turned on. HOWEVER, after doing this you may experience a phenominon known as simulcast distortion, perhaps the most discussed issue on these forums. In a simulcast system, a site is not a single transmitter at a specific location, but rather a collection of transmitters spread out over a certain area that all transmit on the same frequency at the same time. It's all those signals coming to your scanner at the same time that cause most scanners to lock up, stutter, miss transmissions, etc. Ultimately the only scanners designed to mitigate the effects of simulcast distortion are the Uniden SDS100 (portable) or SDS200 (base). Yes they are the most expensive but they do the job right. There are a number of workarounds for other scanners mentioned in the wiki I linked but they work in very few cases.

View attachment 116902
Thanks for the response! When I enabled the TAC function for Greene co. or Springfield it did lock up. I'm sure this is the issue. I will return the unit and decide if I want to invest in the other units. Right now, the SDS200 isn't even available for purchase anywhere.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Right now, the SDS200 isn't even available for purchase anywhere.
-
The SDS00 is presently in stock and available at these locations (2/19/2021) - (3:48pm UTC)

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
-
The SDS00 is presently in stock and available at these locations (2/19/2021) - (3:48pm UTC)

Handheld SDS 100?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the response! When I enabled the TAC function for Greene co. or Springfield it did lock up. I'm sure this is the issue. I will return the unit and decide if I want to invest in the other units. Right now, the SDS200 isn't even available for purchase anywhere.

I have successfully monitored MOSWIN in Springfield and throughout the state of Missouri with my 436HP. Springfield is not like St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, etc. with dense radio traffic. Compared with Houston and some of the larger cities, the linear simulcast is not even close. With a proper antenna that is made for the MOSWIN frequencies, you should do fine with the 536HP. I am quite certain there are some places where monitoring might be difficult.

I would imagine the steel antenna on the 536HP is adequate for the area; however, there are many attic-mounted, rollup dipole, and other antennas that might enhance any problematic reception. The main things is learning how to operate that fine radio!

I own a SDS 100. In my opinion, this radio works best in areas with less pronounced linear simulcast distortion. Again, it nails it in Houston, Austin, Dallas, etc. Springfield is a rather small city with few competing trunking systems.

I appreciate sharing my personal opinion and experiences here.

Don't give up! I have severe dyslexia. It took me a very long time to learn this radio, but now I know it fairly well.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Handheld SDS 100?
-
Both of those links are for the SDS200 model (which the OP was asking about):

Right now, the SDS200 isn't even available for purchase anywhere.
-
Both of those locations also have the hand-held SDS100 in stock at this time:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
-

-

Yes, I was able to determine such; however, I was making reference to post #10 that showed SDS 200 with handheld in the hyperlink.

Vincec57

-

-

-

Thanks...I did find them later this morning at two other sites...

PVchief2

Premium Subscriber
Info only for Greene co Mo for Tuesday 22nd all ems calls county wide will be on one opps ch all Mva one opps ch and 5 opps for fire calls will be switching digital everything over. So get your programming up to date , before big ice storm hits should be interesting radio traffic this info from radio tech,

18bravo

Info only for Greene co Mo for Tuesday 22nd all ems calls county wide will be on one opps ch all Mva one opps ch and 5 opps for fire calls will be switching digital everything over. So get your programming up to date , before big ice storm hits should be interesting radio traffic this info from radio tech,
Could you direct me what talk groupsI need for FD dispatch and tac channel for a Greene and Springfield? Are they all dispatched together on one dispatch!

KA0KDW

Sds200 is what MSHP uses in their cars
To date no troopers in Greene use SDS200. Onlh state employees running the SDS are the field technicians. Tue newest scanners I. Use by zone 1/2 troopers (Greene county) is the 996P2 ajd there’s only 1 or 2 of those. The state couldn’t justify the cost of outfitting the troopers in Greene county with the scanners. Outside Greene county the other troop D troopers have old school analog only non trunking scanners. That was as of about 3 months ago when I was talking with the field tech about it.
Tue 536 will work just fine on the Greene simulcast. I’ve used mine with no issue on it. and with no issue in KC or STL.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
You might want to look at bluetail technologies. I have the P25RX-II and the MicroP25. Both handle simulcast quite well. They are alot less expensive. Todd (RF engineer/owner) updates firmware regularly or when the need presents itself, he has excellent customer skills!!

KA0KDW

You might want to look at bluetail technologies. I have the P25RX-II and the MicroP25. Both handle simulcast quite well. They are alot less expensive. Todd (RF engineer/owner) updates firmware regularly or when the need presents itself, he has excellent customer skills!!
I’d suspect the down side to that over a scanner is if one needs to listen to a system that isn’t P25 or analog then it woolf end up being useless. For example of one left Greene ajd and to Polk or Christian county they’d need a scanner to listen to those two counties. Plus, if the user in GC wants to hear other things such as security for the colleges or hospitals or cox EMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.