Not receiving many channels on scanner for about a month, just some still come in

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have changed my thinking of which unit I plan to get. The SDS-100 is my choice.
It's really the only choice right now for a portable scanner when monitoring a simulcast system.
Although the reviews on the VHF frequencies were a bit on the lower side, but since I have been using the PRO-92, (VHF) and have not had many problems at all with VHF channels, since I am centrally located in the county, and about a mile from SFO.
I wish the SDS performed better on VHF analog, but it is what it is. When I am on a trip, I bring one of my analog scanners (typically PSR-310) with me just for CHP. If you do monitor analog VHF (such as CHP), you might want to keep your PRO-92 handy.
I still havent gotten the PRO--92 cable working and showing visible to the pro-92 software to upload anything. Scanner says 'clone' on screen with cable attached to computer and software running
Just plugging the cable into the PRO-92, and nothing more, will cause it to display that message.
but software doesn't see cable
WIN92 was not designed to "see the cable". You have to tell WIN92 where the cable is. Select Configuration->Serial Port and select where the cable is. I see you posted a pic of Device Manager - what you should do is unplug the cable, note what is listed, plug the cable in and see what appears. I can't tell if that cable is on COM3 or COM6.
but when I select upload button on the scanner, it says it is uploading for a few min then says complete. It may be uploading but I think it is just sending the info into thin air, since it is not going into the GUI since it doesn't show a connection and the GUI interface dos not have a directory anywhere on the computer as far as I know since it i just opened from the EXE file in Explorer.
Sounds like you don't have anything in WIN92 for it to send to the scanner. Select File->Open to load a .spg file before you Upload to Scanner. Check what's listed in the Channels tab. At bare minimum you can enter your name/etc into the Welcome Display section under the Settings tab and see if that gets programmed.
I will hopefully have the scanner ordered in a few days and won't have problems with that cable too.
When I was last looking at this model, it was out of stock. When I originally ordered the two that I have, I ordered from different locations. Be ready to shop around. The cable connection to the SDS does not work like the PRO scanners. PRO scanners are communicated with via a "COM port". You'll see the SDS scanner as a new disc drive in File Explorer. BUT, use Sentinel to do the work (although it's tempting to use File Explorer).

Mongoosmike

Good evening, hope you are having a safe, fun week. In regards to the com ports, I have tried selecting Com 3 and com 6 just to make sure neither one works with Win-92, but the port showing in DM on Com is 6 and USB hub shows 6. I did try reinstalling the driver again and still the same. So, will work on that in time.
I still plan on getting the SDS-100 soon but found some info about DMR and NXDN addon’s. Would like to know if they would be needed or used with PD, Fire, or EMS, and how I would tell from the frequency or P-25 listings. Someone mentioned that some PD somewhere might be using it, but they were in another state. Also, is the external battery pack/charger worth it? I read that some have had problems with the battery clips from changing the battery pack, and clips have broken over time. I don’t mind having a power cord for the car and home. Depending on polarity of the SDS, the PRO-92 is pos outer, neg center. From the list below the link, it shows the conventional scanner frequencies for SSF, which are the same as I have used for many years. The other listing at the bottom of page of that link that the frequencies are verified the same, and shows type and tone info. Strangely, the SSF PD is simulcast with Pacifica from 4am to 4pm, and Pacifica is listed in the simulcast P-25 county listing, but SSF PD, and well as 6 other cities in the county I live by, are not showing on any county simulcast system…. AT least not yet. Could the PD and Fire in SSF, San Mateo, Belmont and a few other cities not listed in the SM County P-25 system, been moved to just a regular trunking system? Was curious if the trunking would have to be set up on the PRO-92 to work since I have never set that up since I have owned it. Or, if they are on a non-encrypted trunking system that it is a newer type and just not compatible with the PRO-92.
I am not givin’ up yet man…! LOL
Thank you kindly for your help, you seem to be one of the Top Gun gurus in the forums and very helpful and knowledgeable. Thank you very much for your time as well as the help.

South San Francisco Police Frequencies for Your Scanner | Police-Frequencies.com

Conventional South San Francisco Police Scanner Frequencies

Frequency
Description
Agency
488.4625South San Francisco Police - DispatchSouth San Francisco Police
489.3375South San Francisco Police – TACSouth San Francisco Police
490.5875South San Francisco Police – TACSouth San Francisco Police
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frequency
License
Type
Tone
Alpha Tag
Description
Mode
Tag
488.46250WII972RM114.8 PLS San Fran PD1Police Dispatch (simulcast with Pacifica PD from 0400-1600 hours)FMLaw Dispatch
490.58750WIM762RM114.8 PLS San Fran PD2Police SecondaryFMLaw Tac
489.33750WPKA816RM114.8 PLS San Fran PD3Police TacticalFMLaw Tac

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
... found some info about DMR and NXDN addon’s. Would like to know if they would be needed or used with PD, Fire, or EMS, and how I would tell from the frequency or P-25 listings.
The listings will show if they use them. The only places I've seen them used around here (northern California) is non public safety. Look here to see what's in San Mateo County.

Someone mentioned that some PD somewhere might be using it, but they were in another state.
Yes.

Also, is the external battery pack/charger worth it?
I have a large pile of EneLoops AA NiMh batteries to run my various GRE-made scanners. With the charger and all, it's quite an ordeal. They don't have the power to operate an SDS. However, the SDS-100 is also powered from a USB port. So I have a wall adapter at home and a power source in my trucks to run them from external power (also enough to run and charge the internal battery simultaneously). I originally was concerned but rarely run the SDS on its internal battery. I do have a spare charged Li-ion battery on hand, but have not had to use it. I would wait on this unless you know you're going to be operating the radio in hand-held mode for hours (and not plugged into a power source).

...Depending on polarity of the SDS, the PRO-92 is pos outer, neg center.
Short answer: SDS-100 uses a USB port to power/charge. You can theoretically get that from a PC. I use small wall 5 amp wall adapters. There is an issue with "low voltage" to the SDS, so you don't want to run long USB cables nor light-weight wire.

Could the PD and Fire in SSF, San Mateo, Belmont and a few other cities not listed in the SM County P-25 system, been moved to just a regular trunking system?
Anything CAN happen, but it's unlikely someone will move to an analog trunked system. Fire looks to also be conventional analog with EMS on the P25 trunked system.

Was curious if the trunking would have to be set up on the PRO-92 to work since I have never set that up since I have owned it. Or, if they are on a non-encrypted trunking system that it is a newer type and just not compatible with the PRO-92.
While the PRO-92 is old technology, it is able to deal with rebanding. Unlike newer models that only require control channels to be programmed, you must program all the frequencies of a trunked system. However, for the stuff you've been discussing; they are either conventional (which can be received by the PRO-92) or P25 trunked. The PRO-92 can't handle the P25 trunked for several reasons, the first is that the channels are P25.

Mongoosmike

I finally received my SDS-100 and have been trying to tweak it as best as possible, and it is a really nice scanner so far. But I have had problems last few days though. I had previously downloaded Sentinel and went through the database and edited S Mateo County and Contra Costa County, Calif, and had that profile/favorite ready to download to the scanner. I did that and it worked fine, but during another upload then download back to scanner a few days later, I selected delete the favorites on scanner upon the download so the file was fresh, according to a thread in one of the forums so the download was clean but it also erased the file that was downloading. The scanner said there was nothing to scan when I tried scanning after the download. Then I selected the zip code programming feature and downloaded the database and it was back to scanning again after it downloaded the database, but was having problems with trying to delete a couple of previous favorites and profiles names in the list. I ended up uninstalling Sentinel and reinstalling it again. But when I did, the heading name on the top of sentinel border on the main screen still shows one of the previous favorites’ names for S Mateo and Contra Costa Counties. I can't seem to get a clean install where it erases the previous favorite/profile name. I am not that familiar with the programming as I have never used any program software before with the previous RS scanner. It seems as though this will take a little time to get used to all the features of the software3 and scanner. I also get very good distance reception from my area, with the Remtronics REM-8205 antenna I purchased. Getting most of San Mateo County down to Santa Clara, about 25 miles and also across the bay to Hayward and Oakland. Receives as good as and a little better than the PRO-92.. Hope everyone stays safe and well, and thank you for all your help.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I finally received my SDS-100 and have been trying to tweak it as best as possible, and it is a really nice scanner so far. But I have had problems last few days though. I had previously downloaded Sentinel and went through the database and edited S Mateo County and Contra Costa County, Calif, and had that profile/favorite ready to download to the scanner. I did that and it worked fine,
Sounds great. There are two major different ways to program/listen to this scanner. One is to use the zip code feature. The second is to program just what you want into Favorites. I've personally only used Favorites. It does take some work to get it to the way you want.

but during another upload then download back to scanner a few days later, I selected delete the favorites on scanner upon the download so the file was fresh, according to a thread in one of the forums so the download was clean but it also erased the file that was downloading. The scanner said there was nothing to scan when I tried scanning after the download.
Unless you are making edits on the front panel of the SDS, you shouldn't download from the scanner. Create and maintain what you want on your PC. Make edits in the PC software (Sentinel) and upload to the scanner when you want to update it. I always select "erase Favorites" before an update and the software always warns me. But I know my new upload has the new Favorites I want.

Then I selected the zip code programming feature and downloaded the database and it was back to scanning again after it downloaded the database, but was having problems with trying to delete a couple of previous favorites and profiles names in the list.
I am not 100% certain, but I believe if you're using the Zip Code feature, the Favorites are not included. One thing you have to do when using the Zip Code feature is to make sure only the Services you want are enabled (and the ones you don't are disabled). That's what keeps you from hearing Public Works, for example.

I ended up uninstalling Sentinel and reinstalling it again. But when I did, the heading name on the top of sentinel border on the main screen still shows one of the previous favorites’ names for S Mateo and Contra Costa Counties.
Yeah, I doubt it was a 100% uninstall. Windows likes to remember stuff these days. Funny how it's still easy to lose our data, but programs will persist to pester us.

I can't seem to get a clean install where it erases the previous favorite/profile name. I am not that familiar with the programming as I have never used any program software before with the previous RS scanner. It seems as though this will take a little time to get used to all the features of the software3 and scanner.
I was trying to create different profiles for different radios with the same install of Sentinel and had lots of issues. The best you can do is use an entirely different name for the new Favorites.

I also get very good distance reception from my area, with the Remtronics REM-8205 antenna I purchased. Getting most of San Mateo County down to Santa Clara, about 25 miles and also across the bay to Hayward and Oakland. Receives as good as and a little better than the PRO-92.. Hope everyone stays safe and well, and thank you for all your help.
Glad to hear it. Funny how most people use a 2 bit antenna on their expensive radio and expect miracles. Better off to use a Cadillac antenna on a cheap receiver (or not).

Last edited:

Mongoosmike

Hi again, and thank you for the additional info. I originally did download Sentinel before I received the scanner and went through the entire listing in both San Mateo and Contra Costa County, and put everything on void that wasn’t PD, Fire and EMS.
When I downloaded that to the scanner when I received it, it worked fine, scanning great, although I tried to go back in and void parks, Bart police, Livermore lab, Oakland PD and some other unwanted areas, that I actually DID void the first time before downloading to the scanner but they s=were still showing up. And when I downloaded the second time, that’s when the “FUN” started.
It booted up and started scanning and the error was, “nothing to scan’.
Durirng the second editing I was also trying to delete 3 favorites that I tried to set up, but they didn't have any data in them.
Last 2 days I worked on finding the file location to delete the profile, and the other 3 files that were the directory. Did THIS 3 times also.
I reinstalled Sentinel, (3 times), and it STILL shows the San Mateo-Contra Costa PRI1 profile name on the very top of the interface page, in the top border area.
I also tried uploading the info from the scanner 3 times after having to select the zip code feature and get the unit scanning again. I tried to upload that data and tied to edit the areas again, and when I downloaded to scanner, it booted up again and said nothing to scan.
Also, my original file that I edited before I got the scanner, didn’t seem to have the complete data base for PD, Fire and EMS like the Radio Reference Database was showing, but using the zip code feature enters all the complete database from web page. But I need to edit out a lot of the unwanted stuff.
The problem is trying to reinstall Sentinel without the original profile showing up, and upload that profile, edit out parks, Bart, Caltrans, Livermore lab, Oakland PD, and other unnecessary areas, and download it to the scanner.
I also don’t need favorites if the scanner scans both areas, as I was later trying to separate Contra Costa into a favorite so I could turn it off when here at home and turn off the home area when I was over there, but I won’t do any favorites for now.
Am not sure if I will get much in Contra Costa, (San Ramon, or Pleasanton) since that area is run by sheriff, and I only saw one listing as I recall, so it might not be scannable there.
And it WOULD have to be a hot week, and with no air conditioning. ☺ Take care and hopefully have a cool day!

Mongoosmike

I need to find out how I can get a couple of zip codes, main is 94080, and the secondary is 94583, in the Sentinel for the SDS-100, and then find a way to edit out the areas that I am not close to and don't need, then download back to scanner, but so far have not found a way to do that. how to do that if it is possible. Need to edit out San Francisco, Oakland, Alameda, Livermore Labs, Parks, Bart, Caltrans, and some other areas. All attempts to load a zip code and then upload to the scanner, edit it, then download back to scanner has failed, both with and without selecting delet all favorites from scanner. I just keep getting "nothing to scan" when the scanner boots up. Hopefully someone may have run across something like this that might help out. Thank you for your help, and have a safe day and stay well..

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When you use the zip code feature, there is a setting for radius of how far out to select channels. Also, you can restrict channels via Service Types. But trying to say that you want one law enforcement agency 10 miles to the west but not one 5 miles to the north, I don't think is possible.

Favorites give you total control but takes work. However, once you set up what you want it should be much easier to maintain.

jimvm

Can I call you and talk about problem I just discovered with my sds-200?
I live in Olivehurst and can visit you and bring my scanner. I can not find a way to
DM you with this RR forum.
jim vm

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Can I call you and talk about problem I just discovered with my sds-200?
I live in Olivehurst and can visit you and bring my scanner. I can not find a way to
DM you with this RR forum.
jim vm
What problem are you having?

Mongoosmike

Good morning, and thank you again for the info. I realized this past week that the zip code feature is very handy and great, IF I download a file from Sentinel and get the error, " nothing to scan". ☺ I just reload the zip code again and it's back to scanning. WHEW! I finally tried something a little different yesterday, I reviewed the main profile again, did some tweaking with the avoids, and then created a favorite on Sentinel, then I did the append feature, selecting from the main profile file. Then I downloaded to the scanner and held my breath. It actually worked this time. But later I realized when listening there seems to be a slight fewer calls coming through but it is working. Looking at the main database on radio reference shows the departments and frequencies and I realized that there are frequencies and names that are interconnected with others that may have a slight different name designation that may not look like fire, or PD or LAW and I may have voided some, and I can't think of any otherr reason that fewer channels are being scanned, has to be in the voids somewher of my doing in the P25 or simulcast listing.s. It is a complicated system which I am totally not familiar with but hopefully I will learn a little more so I can posssibly figure out the problem. It is above my pay level, even though I have been out of work for two years. ☺ I will try and see if I can get it fixed. The radius is also preset to 10 miles, but I was getting Oakland, Hayward and Santa Clara and the coast calls which are 18, 19 and 23 and 26 miles away in that order. But those do not come in now since I tweaked the master file yesterday. Part of problems solved. Will send an update in a few days or so and let you know how things go. Thank you mostly with all your help here. I appreciate that. Take care and have a safe weekend. Mike

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I don't know how the zip code feature measures distance. Obviously it is not a perfect science and so I've never used it.

Favorites takes a lot of work to get working the way you want. I created mine by literal "copy and paste" from the database. Actually, I first created an Excel file (by manually copying and pasting from the database) which is very elaborate. I did it in a manner so that I can copy from Excel directly into Sentinel. Yeah, I've taken something complicated and made it even more complicated; but I did so to support all of my radio models, not just the SDS.

When creating/editing in Sentinel, you don't need to even put anything in there you don't want to hear (therefore no Avoids needed). Consider what's in Sentinel to be your "master copy" and update the scanner when you've made changes you want to take affect. Don't expect to get it perfect the first time. Work on it little by little.

The biggest change for me from my other scanner models is how "channels" are selected/etc. Other radios use "lists" or "banks". The SDS uses Favorites.System.Department(.channel). For you, just put everything into one list (call it Mike). Under that, you'll list Systems. Each trunked system MUST have its own entry. I think for now you could just create "San Mateo Conventional" for your main System of Conventional channels. Be sure to assign Quick Keys to each, which is not all that obvious to do. Make the Favorites selection of Mike Quick Key 0. Under that make "San Mateo Conventional" as Quick Key 0. Assigning other Quick Keys to each System provides a means to enable/disable scanning of those selections.

You could put all of your channels under a single Department or separate. Assign that Department Quick Key 0. It would be selected with 00.00.00 or FAV.SYS.DEPT. If any of those are not selected, you'll likely see that message "nothing to scan". I am stating this as just a starting point until you're familiar with the basics, then you can create more Systems or Departments. It is overwhelming to concor this all at once, but is not so bad when done step by step. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.