Not sure what to call this? She crackles sum???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
So im here at my desk and when an agency talks on the scanner it will come across all nice and clear and then it will crackle out and then back to clear. it only does it on sum channels Just curious what it might be

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
its almost like a hissing noise and fades out and then comes back and like i said its on vhf channels and it comes and goes

methusaleh

Make and model of scanner?

Frequencies affected? May the problem just be simplex RX on the fringe so to speak?

Possible to share a recording with us?

Have you tried monitoring the same freqs with a different receiver?

Could be as simple as a loose speaker wire on your end.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
So im here at my desk and when an agency talks on the scanner it will come across all nice and clear and then it will crackle out and then back to clear. it only does it on sum channels Just curious what it might be

They could have a loose microphone wire. Call them up and tell them. LOL.

Or, the problem is on your end.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Make and model of scanner?

Frequencies affected? May the problem just be simplex RX on the fringe so to speak?

Possible to share a recording with us?

Have you tried monitoring the same freqs with a different receiver?

Could be as simple as a loose speaker wire on your end.

BCT15x

yes i have tried different radio

i have no recordings

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
The sudden change in signal indicates to me that there may be another strong source of interference causing attenuation on the signal you're trying to receive. Just guessing, but it's possible.

Or it could be arcing from a power line.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
The sudden change in signal indicates to me that there may be another strong source of interference causing attenuation on the signal you're trying to receive. Just guessing, but it's possible.

Or it could be arcing from a power line.

10-4 Im waiting for a new PAR Notch filter and hopefully that will fix it. Anything that you might suggest?

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
im also gonna change out the connection on my antenna but i dont think thats is with only 3 or 4 freqs having the issue!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
How can you buy a PAR filter if you really don't know the source of the interference? More research is needed to find the actual source?

Mike

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I have a serious problem with pagers and stuff on a mtn right next to me. I bought it from a hammer so I thought i would give it a try. it wont hurt. But I get tons and tons of pager interference where i live!

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
could be. But like I said above i get tons of trash noise and pager noise from the mtn 3 miles away. I have a BandPass Filter I 137-174MHZ I bought from Scanner master and It works slick, but I lose all my UHF frqs when the filter is on the radio and i lose other vhf transmissions too!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Pager interference isn't a "crackle", it's more of a combination tone/buzz.

If you don't know the exact frequency causing the interference, you're totally wasting your time trying to filter it out.

The 137-174 filter WILL NOT remove pager interference. If the range specifies the passband, it's passing the entire VHF band, INCLUDING ALL STANDARD PAGER FREQS. And it's blocking everything UHF.

If you don't know the freq causing the noise, you're completely wasting your time trying to block it.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
There are several in the 152-153 and 157-158 there isnt just 1 freq there is several. Also why is he 137-174 filter killing everything on uhf? to me it dont make sense but im a lot slower than all of you!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If your filter passes 137-174, it's passing the entire VHF band, including the interfering pager freqs, and blocking everything else, including the entire UHF band.

If your filter is blocking 137-174, then it's blocking the entire VHF band, including pager freqs.

Both of those are stupid.

12dbsinad

Sounds like you are listening to analog simulcast system.(multiple transmitters TX'ing at the same time on the same frequency) If you get in the right areas the signal will come in and out of phase, especially in fringe areas. Try moving the scanner to different areas of the building if you can.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you are listening to analog simulcast system.(multiple transmitters TX'ing at the same time on the same frequency) If you get in the right areas the signal will come in and out of phase, especially in fringe areas. Try moving the scanner to different areas of the building if you can.

will do, I will try anything! Thanks

ecps92

++1 :cool:
Pager interference isn't a "crackle", it's more of a combination tone/buzz.

If you don't know the exact frequency causing the interference, you're totally wasting your time trying to filter it out.

The 137-174 filter WILL NOT remove pager interference. If the range specifies the passband, it's passing the entire VHF band, INCLUDING ALL STANDARD PAGER FREQS. And it's blocking everything UHF.

If you don't know the freq causing the noise, you're completely wasting your time trying to block it.

ChrisABQ

I have a similar problem with my BCT15X monitoring VHF (155mhz range). Transmissions from 20 miles away sound good for a bit (5 bars), then static covered chatter (5 bars), then it clears up. It lasts a few seconds and then back to normal. This happens on multiple departments.

Happens whether computer is on or off, not close to power lines, have not been able to locate issue. I do have a discone on my fence (HOA issues) as my outside antenna. A couple of questions:

1. Would grounding it help the static issue?
2. Would the desert environment be a contributor?
3. Cell tower is approximately 300 feet away, could this be reason for intermittent static?

Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks
Chris

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
What you're describing sounds like interference from a pager transmitter. Grounding your antenna is a good idea, especially if it's an outdoor one, but that won't solve RF bleedover from a high-power transmitter on a frequency near the one you're trying to monitor. I live near a pager transmitter, and with some radios (ones with poor filtering) I can hear the pager noise on every VHF frequency.

A directional antenna (yagi, LPDA, etc) aimed away from the pager transmitter and toward the signal you want to receive may help, if both transmitters are not the same direction from your location. It can also help you locate the source of the interference via triangulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.