Not well-formed XML problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

benasdf

Hi - wondering if the RR database maintenance watch this forum? Seem to have a problem when trying to import some data using Win97:

Code:
XML error detected: not well-formed (invalid token)

near:

<freq fid="124924" freq_out="4940.00000" freq_in="0.00000" desc="Police - MOTOMESH™" disp="" tone="" mode="5" class="RM" fcc="WQEK379"  updated="2006-03-03 13:23:36" />
                                                                                  ^

while requesting URL:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/xml1.1/?scid=1617

It looks like the (tm) after MOTOMESH is causing the problem? This is data for Kent County, MI using Win97 1.12. Can someone help??

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm not even sure why this would be in the database?

Looks like a highspeed wireless system for police use. Not something that would be scannable.

cristisphoto

Heres what i found In the FCC's ULS

I searched the callsign that was in the "XML"....

WQEK379 GRAND RAPIDS POLICE DEPARTMENT COMMUNICATIONS BUREAU 0002731453 PA Active 02/18/2016

Is that where where you are?
Regards,
Crista

cristisphoto

Your problems lol

Check that!!
I just tryed the RR Link..
it's actiually a restricted are for administrators...
I would post in support thread and ask them for permission.
That should ,(if they allow you to gan entry lol), cure your ills....

benasdf

Is that where where you are?

Yes, Grand Rapids.

I'm not worried so much about that particular frequency, but that the XML seems to be corrupted and is not allowing me to import data from RR into Win97...

Is there an admin that can either remove that frequency entry completely or remove the one character that seems to be causing the problem??

seamusg

cristisphoto said:
Check that!!
I just tryed the RR Link..
it's actiually a restricted are for administrators...
I would post in support thread and ask them for permission.
That should ,(if they allow you to gan entry lol), cure your ills....
I tried the link and it's not restricted for administrators. The download feature is for donating members and he is a donating member.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
this frequency is way out of the range that any scanner covers. There is no way you enter it. This freequency is 4900 MHz, or 4.9 GHz, not 49 MHz that you could enter into your scanner.

seamusg

n4voxgill said:
this frequency is way out of the range that any scanner covers. There is no way you enter it. This freequency is 4900 MHz, or 4.9 GHz, not 49 MHz that you could enter into your scanner.
The real problem is that the XML error is blocking ANY download of Kent Co. MI, not just that one item.
The error is in this database under the city of Grand Rapids
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=1267

Last edited:

DonS

n4voxgill said:
did you remove the offending frequency and then try to upload
The error in the received XML kills the XML parser. There's no way to tell the RR DB to "send me all but this frequency", so he always receives the bad line. If the bad line is present, the XML parser halts.

The offending character must be removed from the DB, or RR's XML generator must be changed to 'escape' such characters.

cristisphoto

Download Features and donating members...

seamusg said:
I tried the link and it's not restricted for administrators. The download feature is for donating members and he is a donating member.

HEy easy there lol
Not all of us are financially endowed.
Believe you me if I had the funds I would NOT hesitate to throw cash at Radioreference.
But thanks for the FYI though...
and technically its still considered restricted.
But only to NON donating members and not as i thought it was to other folks..
anyhow,
Signing off,
Crista

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Okay, the problem is not in the frequency. And I might add I have fixed this problem before in the past. I will fix it (again) in just a bit.

Last edited:

benasdf

thanks!

loumaag: web import is working now after that frequency was cleaned up.

seamusg and DonS: thanks for understanding what I was talking about!

seamusg

benasdf said:

seamusg and DonS: thanks for understanding what I was talking about!
Your Welcome. When you posted the trouble I tried it with Win96 and got the same trouble and knew it would blow up before you even got to select a frequency.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm still not sure why the frequency is in the database?

It's not monitorable by hobbiests so it makes no sense to include it. Most scanners don't cover that range.

If we're going to start including this type of data, we might as well start listing all Wifi hotspots (closed or open).

Basically this frequency is used by public safety as a wireless broadband access point.

Here are the details on Motomesh:

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail.jsp?globalObjectId=5341_5337_23

seamusg

Mike_Oxlong said:

It's not monitorable by hobbiests so it makes no sense to include it. Most scanners don't cover that range.

If we're going to start including this type of data, we might as well start listing all Wifi hotspots (closed or open).

Basically this frequency is used by public safety as a wireless broadband access point.

Here are the details on Motomesh:

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail.jsp?globalObjectId=5341_5337_23
I don't know either. If you try to download it with WIN96 it changes the frequency to 645.0325. Maybe you can talk to the Admin about it.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
benasdf said:
Okay, just remember (as others have pointed out) that particular frequency will not work in your radio, so it makes no sense to import it. Also, if you run into this problem again, please post the error in the "Administration and Help" forum. The problem is not really in the software, but in the DB and I (and other DB Admins) are more likely to notice it faster there than here. Thanks for finding it. As a side note, I also found 4 more instances of that exact problem in the Michigan portion of the DB and corrected them all.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
Mike_Oxlong said:

There are plenty of frequencies and talkgroups in the database that are not generally "monitorable" in the usual sense, e.g., telemetry, encryption, etc. Every scanner has its own limitations in terms of what frequencies and modes it is capable of receiving and decoding. If a scanner does not support a frequency, then the scanner programming software that encounters such a frequency should prompt the user for action or at least skip over trying to load the frequency into the scanner. To the extent that a 4.9 GHz frequency in the database breaks scanner programming software, it is a bug in the scanner programming software. Furthermore, the database allows us to track identified frequencies even if they are not "monitorable" if for no other reason than knowing that we cannot monitor them.

-Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.