Not your average Siren app question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
As per a youtube video, one of the options being advertised for the Siren app is that you'll be able to listen to the 536 anywhere you have internet access, as in, if my 536 was connected to my home's wifi, I could be in the grocery store, open the Siren app, and control and/or listen to my scanner at my house, via the app.

Yet most of the other documentation leans more towards only being able to listen and control your radio with the Siren app only when you're connected to the same access point as the 536, or connected directly to the wifi dongle when it's in ad-hoc mode (as in if it's mounted in your vehicle).

Can anyone, preferably from Uniden, provide some clarity on this?

JamesO

I have seen the exact same inconsistency and personally do not take a lot of stock in what shows up on YouTube for anything regardless of the company.

Everything documented stated the Siren App would connect to either an AdHoc Wifi mode or LAN. Here is the quote from Uniden's web page - "Plus, the Wi-Fi feature lets you use the exclusive Uniden Siren App on your smartphone or tablet to access your scanner from anywhere in your home or vehicle." This quote does not sound like a WAN accessible product?

So it may be possible to remotely access, control and listen to the scanner from a WAN environment outside or your LAN environment, it is a much more difficult task as it involves a bit more complex networking. Not saying it cannot be done, but it will me more of a challenge for the average Joe, LAN and Internet connectivity problems will be headaches the average Uniden Customer Circus staff member will be almost helpless to resolve.

Uniden Customer Circus will quickly get overwhelmed with issues that are not theirs, but they will need to offer the customers some ideas and ways to work through network problems.

Personally I am just suspicious when a single person, even a company representative, states something on YouTube that is not clearly backed up in any of the current documentation.

Either fix the documentation and update the web site or do not make inconsistent statements on YouTube or even on Forums.

And YES, I am not doubting any of this is possible, but trying to FORCE the issue so it is properly addressed, documented and clarified for everyone in a clear, concise and consistent manner. As I stated, most of what is on YouTube is crap, so this is why I have little respect of YouTube as a valid source of information. If the YouTube info was accurate, then have these videos cataloged and imbedded in the Uniden Scanner portion of the website. Corporate should be proud to showcase this information if it is correct. I for one rarely go to YouTube to research things, so I have no idea how many videos UPMan may have produced and how to find them all.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
Ok, after a long bit of searching, I have found my answer, and from UPMan himself.

http://forums.radioreference.com/2078871-post569.html

We are working on the actual process, now, but it should be similar to the way our video surveillance works. You'll register your scanner(s) to our registration server, then log into the server from the app. The registration server will then provide the scanner(s) peer-to-peer address.

For local network or ad-hoc, you will not need any kind of registration with our system, but for remote access remote registration is required. A benefit of this is that if you have an issue with your scanner, if it is registered and connected a tech can actually directly monitor your scanner and change or suggest settings to correct the issue.

Admins, feel free to lock this thread.

joeuser

The Wretched
This is one of the reasons, I will not buy the 536. I'm waiting until this Siren app comes out & early adopters get into it. Love my 436 tho!

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

jthorpe

I love my 536 and it has been working great. Do I want the Siren app? Yep.... But IMO the scanner is worth what I paid for it. That's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.