Nothing to scan when using Lists to monitor. SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthgarlic

Premium Subscriber
I have created a custom list for a specific business in my area to scan. I at times only wish to monitor that list but when I turn all the other lists off and turn that local list on I get the message "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan" on the display. However if I Set scan selection for any other list it works for the list I just turned on but not for the custom list.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just checked, yes both are on.
Since, according to your initial post, this is a Business, do you have the Service Type enabled for whatever type business this is? By default, only Public Safety Dispatch service types are enabled, plus Custom 1. For Public Safety, also enable the Tac & Talk service types (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc). As MFCJR noted, make sure you also have Business enabled. Look at the service types in the list for the business. If they are labeled as something other than Business, make sure that is turned on as well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And if you created this with Sentinel, you can edit the Favorites List to confirm which Service Type was entered for the channels. Then you can check to see if that Service Type is enabled.

Also, is there any chance you are using location control for this list? If so, the Department location is set to 0/0 by default and that's out in the ocean. You'll need the correct location entered.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I have created a custom list for a specific business in my area to scan. I at times only wish to monitor that list but when I turn all the other lists off and turn that local list on I get the message "Scan Mode. Nothing to Scan" on the display. However if I Set scan selection for any other list it works for the list I just turned on but not for the custom list.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Here’s a comprehensive checklist of what to look for... any number of things will give you a “Nothing to Scan” message...
“Nothing to Scan" Checklist BCDx36HP & SDS100

Scanner Checklist:

1. A location has to be set in 'Set Your Location' to monitor the Database.

2. You must enable at least one Favorites List or the Full Database in 'Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor'.

3. Favorites Lists or Systems with QK's assigned to them must be enabled with QK's or in 'Set Scan Selection>Manage Quick Key Status'.

4. Make sure 'ID Search' is On for the system if no IDs are programmed.

5. Service Types for the channels you want to monitor must be set to On.

6. Any FL with 'Use Location Control' set to On must have locations programmed for the Departments and/or Sites.

If you are programming everything in Sentinel first and sending it to the scanner:

Edit Profile>Scan Selection tab: Make sure 'Monitor' and 'Download' are On for FL's you want to scan.

Check or uncheck 'Monitor Full Database'.

Edit Profile>Service Types tab: Make sure the Service Types you want to monitor are checked.

Custom 1 is needed for miscellaneous channels.

Edit Profile>Location Settings tab: Make sure you have a location programmed for scanning the Full Database or FL's with 'Use Location Control' set to On.

Edit Profile>Quick Key Status tab: Make sure FLQK's are checked for FL's you want to monitor.

Edit Favorites List>System QK Status tab: Make sure SQK's are checked for systems you want to monitor.

Edit Favorites List>System>Options tab: Make sure 'ID Search' is On if no IDs are programmed.

Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site Quick Keys Status tab: Make sure Department/Site QK's are checked for departments/sites you want to monitor.

Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site>Location tab:Make sure Departments/Sites have locations programmed if 'Use Location Control' is set to On for the FL. 8/7/2018 Upman added “Do you have any sites programmed and enabled? If not, you have NOTHING TO SCAN.”

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
Needing some help!!
I just connected my BCD436 for the first time in a long time and decided to update the firmware first. That went fine. Next, I wrote my updated profile to the MicroSD card and even made a second copy. The problem now though is that when I turn the scanner on, I get the message: Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan I am only listening to one FL and that Fl is set to Monitor ON and Download ON I didn't change anything that I can recall, so that is what is confusing me as to what's going on here?????

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Needing some help!!
I just connected my BCD436 for the first time in a long time and decided to update the firmware first. That went fine. Next, I wrote my updated profile to the MicroSD card and even made a second copy. The problem now though is that when I turn the scanner on, I get the message: Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan I am only listening to one FL and that Fl is set to Monitor ON and Download ON I didn't change anything that I can recall, so that is what is confusing me as to what's going on here?????

Read post #7 above. And primarily, check that the service types are enabled.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
I have run through the checklist, and with the exception of Quick Keys, which I don't use, everything looks OK. I could maybe download a hpe file of the FL that is giving me the problem? If I press the CHAN key on the scanner right now, the actual channel comes up and displays on the scanner, along with radio traffic. I can HOLD the channel, as well as hold the Dept and System too. It just won't scan the list.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
Well...I went back and looked and found that the FL in question had a QK assigned that when I REMOVED IT, everything started working normally again! I was fooling around with the QKs the other day and I guess I should have just left things alone, since I rarely would ever use them anyway!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And a hint to others who may see this from a search. . .

If you see nothing but asterisks (*) in the F or S lines, that means all Favorites or System Quick Keys are turned off. If no Quick Keys are in use you should see nothing but dashes in these lines.

tvengr

Well Known Member
A favorites list, system, department, or site without a quick key is enabled all of the time. If you assign a quick key of 0 to the favorites list, pressing 0 and then E will toggle the favorites list on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.