noticing short static when switch from p25 trunk system to conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm911

Just picked up a used bcd996xt. I noticed today a very short and quiet burst of static when scanning. The static (not longer than one or two tenths of a second) occurs when the scanner leaves a p25 trunked system and starts scanning analog channels. This is NOT occurring after a transmission but rather when the radio is scanning. I do not hear the noise until I turn the volume up over 10. Can anyone else tell me that they are hearing this or try it so I can rest assured there is not a problem. I have a bcd396xt and don't hear this noise.

This is on the scanner's speaker (not using amplified speakers)

Last edited:

jdm911

Yes, I have tried adjusting squelch. I listened to the noise again this morning, almost sounds like a quick wisp of noise (not sure how else to describe it). Again, it is very faint and only noticeable when the volume is turned up. Can anyone with a bcd996xt try to duplicate this for me? The only reason why it concerns me is that I have a 396xt scanning the same systems and do not hear the noise. Thanks

jdm911

I can also duplicate the sound by holding on the p25 system's control channel and manually turning the dial through the programmed talk groups.

SuperTex

I get it too on the Provincial Fleetnet system. I just added a new tower (because we moved) and I get the static on the new tower, where I never got it before. Haven't figured out why it does it yet.
I get the static at all volumes but I do use an external speaker... It also seems to be a little longer than yours.

SuperTex

No I'm not using the close call feature. As I was saying I only seem to get it on the one tower of the system I listen to (I have two towers programmed, the system is P25 and analog mixed trunking). It's intermittent as well, not happening today.

Status
Not open for further replies.