Nottheastern Communications (Norcomct)

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The Plainville FD is sponsoring their balloon festival this weekend and rent/lease Norcomct radios to be used for event comms. And some of the members of the FD were wondering if they could also monitor the comms on their scanners? A frequency of 463.275MHz popped up on a close call search when one of the portables was keyed up and it looks like Motorola Mototurbo is the mode in use. The radios come with a vehicle that is parked on the event grounds and an antenna is erected. That leads me to believe the 463.275MHz frequency is the input frequency of a repeater, the output frequency being + or - by 5. (Mototurbo is Motorola’s brand name for DMR.) My question is will a SDS100 with the DMR add-on feature receive this channel in the clear? I’ve been told that the particular mode of DMR in use will not allow for reception on the SDS100 scanner? Has anyone got the “skinny” on this?

MarkB513

Assuming it's repeated, that's likely the output with the input being 468.275. Maybe the portable you caught was set to a talk-around channel?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Assuming it's repeated, that's likely the output with the input being 468.275. Maybe the portable you caught was set to a talk-around channel?
The input and output frequencies are known but yes, it could be the portable they checked might have been on a simplex talkaround frequency. But I am more interested in if the Mototurbo system is using a DMR mode that can be followed using the SDS100 with the DMR option. A frequency search shows that frequency is used on a shared basis. There are others in the state that are listed as using it, one of which is Marcus Communications. And I was told the type or mode of DMR was not compatable with scanners. I am looking for confirmation on this rememberance as I am not getting any younger and I am starting to question my recollection of things.

MarkB513

The only DMR issues I'm aware of is the problem with tracking trunk systems whereas it won't see the talk groups, but in this case, I would think it would work, assuming they aren't using encryption. Also, I've had better luck with setting the DMR Threshold on my BCD996P2 to "Level 5" rather than "auto" on many occasions. Block Island's system for example. Assuming it just depends on the system, but sometimes it's clearly better audio quality and other times it doesn't receive any audio set to auto at all.

nhfdcadet

GCT-1
Premium Subscriber
I've only seen people posting issues with scanning DMR on Hytera systems, namely the marcus tier 3 system, which is a problem on Uniden's end. Conventional DMR should work fine.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The only DMR issues I'm aware of is the problem with tracking trunk systems whereas it won't see the talk groups, but in this case, I would think it would work, assuming they aren't using encryption. Also, I've had better luck with setting the DMR Threshold on my BCD996P2 to "Level 5" rather than "auto" on many occasions. Block Island's system for example. Assuming it just depends on the system, but sometimes it's clearly better audio quality and other times it doesn't receive any audio set to auto at all.
Ok. Thanks for the input.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I’m using a Uniden SDS100 with the DMR add-on… what are you using? Did you program it as Mototurbo? Not sure if they use a + or - offset so I plugged in both.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Are you affiliated with the Plainville FD? Reason I ask is I’m trying to determine how to monitor the Norcom Ct. system for a member of the FD. He was able to determine the repeater input frequency using close call but he doesn’t have the output frequency. I haven’t heard a peep out of my attempts to monitor so far…

55engine

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it’s 500 MHz up so it’s 463.275 input and is 468.275 output is the way it was explained to me input is the rx output is the TX and the group id is 9008 I just have to catch the color code they’re just using it as regular conventional DMR it’s set up the same way. Lake compound is set up the talk group ID 9008. I was told that’s the last four digits of norcon phone number. But is this a temporary frequency for the fire department for the event going on or is it be using be for fire calls to

Last edited:

55engine

Premium Subscriber
I put it in my radio as one frequency I put it in my 536 with the group 9008 color code 5 The question is is this frequency just being used for this event or is that gonna be a town frequency?

KC1IMD

Feed Provider
I put it in my radio as one frequency I put it in my 536 with the group 9008 color code 5 The question is is this frequency just being used for this event or is that gonna be a town frequency?
It's a one time/year event. They are rented for the Balloon Fest.