Nova Scotia Province-Wide System

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

Same guy, different province.

I am planning my trip from Calais Maine to the North Sydney Ferries.

I have had no problem locating info for New Brunswick, but the Nova Scotia info seems a bit thin.

I have a digital scanner, so that is not a problem.
Since I have only been to NS once before, with no scanner, I do not know which sites I should monitor on my Trans-Canada route.

Could anyone possibly give me the site numbers for a route from NB to N Sydney?

Also, are the RCMP talkgroups complete?

Thanks
Dic
N1XBA

V

VE9MP

This is what you'll need to listen, I'm listing repeater site according to their name, instead of number because my lists don't correspond to the ones someone put up here.

If you are coming through central NB, you will want to have Maryland, once you get near Moncton, NB you will be able to hear Amherst, then it goes to Pugwash, Clairmont, Wentworth, Nuttby, Brookland, Sutherlands Bog, Piedmont, Aulds Cove, Melrose, Arichat, Loch Lomand, Kingsville, Louisbourg, Coxheath, Rear Big Hill, Glace Bay, Boulardie, and that should have you covered from the NS border right to Sydney

Alternatively, the system uses 32 control channels throughout the entire network, you could enter all 32, and be able to listen throughout the entire province of NS and parts of NB where the system is in use (ie. Fredericton)

The 32 CC's are:
1 - 861.3875
2 - 861.6375
3 - 861.3625
4 - 861.6125
5 - 860.1375
6 - 860.3875
7 - 860.0625
8 - 860.3125
9 - 860.1625
10 - 860.4125
11 - 860.0125
12 - 860.2625
13 - 860.2375
14 - 860.4875
15 - 861.4125
16 - 861.6625
17 - 860.0375
18 - 860.2875
19 - 861.2625
20 - 861.5125
21 - 860.0875
22 - 860.3375
23 - 861.3125
24 - 861.5625
25 - 861.3375
26 - 861.5875
27 - 860.1875
28 - 860.4375
29 - 861.2875
30 - 861.5375
31 - 860.1125
32 - 860.3625

And nope, the RCMP listings here is no where nears correct, you can refer to my list here: http://users.cjb.net/scanmaritimes/rcmpnumberlist.htm

Last edited:
V

VE9MP

Yup, they have, they're using P25 on the TMR on the talkgroups in the list I linked too....

V

VE9MP

All RCMP in Nova Scotia are digital, except on mutual aid or liaison talkgroups....

dic

And once again,
Nick, VE9FC, DeS,

Thank you for your prompt responses and interest.
I hope to be able to add to the databases of your websites and this website after my trip.

Good day eh?

Dic

ve9fc

Hey dic Aprox. what days are U going to Be Coming through the Martimes.
Nick and I are Both in the Fredericton NB Area

V

VE9MP

If your coming though on Highway 2,even if your not stopping in Fredericton, we could have a chat on 2 meter at the very least....

147.1200+, No PL's covers good...

dic

Actually gentlemen, I am crossing in Calais on the way out and driving on 1.
I am not sure I how I am coming back, but I thank you for your offer and will keep that in mind.
That would be cool.

Dic
N1XBA

ve9fc

dic here's a Link for the Maritime and Newfoundland Repeater's
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/ve9nd/atlantic.htm

Newfoundland Repeater Map link is
http://www.sonra.ca/repeaters.html

Newfoundland Unfortunally U are not Gonna Get Much VHF activity till U get to Grandfalls Windsor Area. Corner Brook Area the UHF one is Up but never Heard any one on it
but 146.52 might be a good one to Monitor have had luck with that also if U have 11m (CB) Channel 1 the Trucks are on here once U cross the Border In Calias

bcd396t

i have a bcd396t where im from the local rcmp are digital and im hearing them on control channel 860.812 but im also hearing ems,tow trucks,construction sites, ect. the talk group for the local rcmp is 7600 does anyone know how to install this talkgroup id so it can be scanned seperatly from all the rest and what system to be put in?

hfxChris

Database Admin
What part of the province are you in? 860.8125 isn't a frequency for any control channel in the system, so it sounds like you don't have your scanner programmed properly for the trunked system.
Let me know where you're at, I'll let you know what site(s) you should be listening to and the control channel frequencies. Unfortunately, I know nothing about programming that scanner, so you may have to ask in the Uniden forum about how to actually program it. But I can help out with anything related to the provincial radio system.

bcd396t

thanks for your reply, im in ingonish victoria county, cape breton n,s i have my scanner programmed using a software called freescan which seems to be really good where im from the local rcmp are digital so thats why i purched the bcd346t to pick them up , the only way i can seem to pick them up is by entering 860.812 or somtimes on 862.162 in the quick save conv system then i hear them along with everything else on the trunking frequency .

hfxChris

Database Admin
Your lucky day - I'm at work and extra bored, so you're getting an extra long answer :)

If you're in Ingonish, you're within spitting distance (well almost) of the Cape Smokey site. You mentioned you're hearing things on 862.1625, which belongs to the site at Boularderie, so you're getting that site as well. You'll probably hear more "action" on the Boularderie site since it services the western part of CBRM, however you'll want to program Cape Smokey as well, since it's technically the local site for the Ingonish area.
However, you don't have your scanner programmed yet. The provincial system, the Nova Scotia Trunked Mobile Radio System, is what's called a trunked system. With the type of system the province is using, you don't just enter and listen to the individual frequencies. You can, but it's ineffective as it won't allow you to select who you listen to or who you don't listen to, because on a trunked system individual frequencies are shared by a larger number of different users - RCMP, EMS/EHS, maybe local fire departments, provincial Department of Natural Resources, Emergency Measures Organization, and probably a host of commercial users (such as delivery trucks, couriers and private snowplows) who rent out space on the system. So to keep everything in order, the system uses a control channel for each site in the province, which is a data stream telling the users' radios (and our scanners) who is using the system and what frequency to tune to so you can listen. Each agency is assigned a talkgroup ID, or more if they need more than one channel to use.

This all happens automatically in the background when your scanner, and their radios are programmed properly. All you need to know to listen to the system is: what type of system is it, what frequency is the control channel for the site you want to listen to, and what are the talkgroup IDs for the different users you want to listen to.

The type of system is a Motorola Type II (SmartZone Omnilink - although all you really need to know is that it's a Motorola Type II system to program it).
The control channel frequencies you'll need are: Cape Smokey on 860.0625 - and Boularderie on 861.4125. Try listening to those frequencies to make sure you can receive them, they'll sound like a weird continual noise.

Now you know what you need to know to listen to the system. Since I know nothing about progrmaming Uniden scanners, I suggest you visit the Uniden forum and ask there about how to program your specific model using the information I've given - that it's a Motorola Type II, and that your two control channel frequencies are 860.0625 and 861.4125.

There's a list of talkgroups in the database on the site, under the heading System Talkgroups at the following location: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3627
I don't see any RCMP talkgroups listed, and I don't know the RCMP talkgroup IDs they use in Cape Breton (I'm in Dartmouth, so I only know the local talkgroups) - but there's tonnes of other users listed on there you may want to listen to as well.

EHS is the provincial EMS provider, in Cape Breton they use both the CB1 (37104 for CBRM) and CB2 (37136 - for the rest of Cape Breton) talkgroups as their dispatch channels, and the TAC4 (36304) talkgroup as an operational channel.

The Department of Natural Resources talkgroups are organized by office location, so poke through the list and find your local DNR office and that's the talkgroup they'll use for things like fire towers and provincial parks. You'll also want to have the first two talkgroups in that list programmed, Shubie Radio (32048 - the province's main dispatch channel, as well as the channel used by other agencies to request use of certain channels in emergencies) and Central Dispatch (3216 - used by some parks in some areas).
If you want to listen to the provincial conservation officers - the ones who carry the guns :) - you'll need the following talkgroups. Echo1: 7440, Echo2: 7472, Echo3: 7504, Whisky3: 7312. Echo 1, 2 and 3 should be operational channels for eastern Nova Scotia including Cape Breton, Whisky 3 is the "dispatch" channel which is where you'll hear pretty much all of the action.

The Transportation and Public Works talkgroups are similar to the DNR ones, just find the local office in the list and that's the talkgroup for your area. You'll basically hear snow plows in the winter and road crews in the summer. Not a lot of action here...

The Sheriff's Services talkgroups are pretty boring as well - in Nova Scotia, Sheriffs are prisoner transports and courtroom security, so there's no actual police action on those talkgroups. I don't monitor them at all. Same with the Vehicle Compliance talkgroups, they just deal with things like large trucks and buses, and the highway weigh stations/scales.

Plus everything under the heading Emergency Services should be programmed, they're not used very frequently but when they are it's usually in conjunction with either a major event such as a forest fire or other natural disaster, or a search and rescue operation.

Whoever helps you program your scanner should be able to tell you how to program the talkgroups you want to listen to, as well as let you know how you can search for the RCMP talkgroup and store it once you've found it.

Unfortunately I know nothing about fire services on Cape Breton, except that they do not use the trunked system. Below is a list of frequencies I found for Cape Breton, be sure to ask how you program these as well. Hope this helps in some way!

CBRM North Sydney 169.380
CBRM Sydney 154.310
CBRM Sydney 154.370
CBRM Sydney 154.800
CBRM Sydney Mines 153.890
CBRM Westmount 153.830
Ingonish area 152.210
Baddeck 152.120
Port Hood 153.920
West Bay 153.920
Iona 151.925
Wagmatcook 152.030

Krissy

whats the number for the rcmp in kings county and what does EHS use in kings

hfxChris

Database Admin
EHS would use the West 1 (36848) talkgroup for dispatching, and the Tac 3 (36272) talkgroup as an operational talkgroup, which would only be used for major incidents (or when somebody wants to talk to the dispatcher without tying up the primary dispatch channel). The West 1 talkgroup is actually used for the entire valley, from Windsor right down to Digby.
I have no idea about RCMP I'm afraid, but if you scan in open mode you should eventually hear them, just take note of the talkgroup ID...

Did you ever buy your Pro-162 you were thinking about? If so, I hate to disappoint but everything RCMP is digital, and you would need a digital scanner, which you should look at spending at least $500 new. On the bright side, Kentville police are not digital, and they should be on frequency 155.34

Last edited:

Krissy

hi I ended up getting a pro 135 its was 100.00 and had no trouble bringing it back to canada.
any ways well those numbers for ehs work on mine. I know its not fancy but it is 7 dig, but I was
also able to put my 6 dig numbers for town police and fire.
heres the number for kentville police. 154.890

Status
Not open for further replies.