AR-DV10 Now $799.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0ne

The drift is with the original firmware is more or less 200hz, but in a attempt to fix the drift they created a new problem. The DV10 is now nervously adjusting itself ever 1 milisecond to get as near to its frequency as possible wich doesn’t improve its signal stability at all.

palmerjrusa

Simply because it sucks, put a Uniden/whistler next to it and you will see. On both analog and digital these brands knock it out of the park. I think AOR is pretty much aware how much they messed up, but prefer to deny it. The DV1 never dropped this much in price, so shops just want to get rid of it for the mentioned reasons. I doubt they will restock them.

So sad, AOR have produced some great receivers. Would never, ever, part with my AR5000+3 or AR7030+ units.

It's ICOM that's really hitting them out the ballpark just now.

MStep

As mentioned several times, the price of the "base/mobile" DV1 has remained fairly consistent over the past several years, hovering in the 1200-1300 USD range. The price on the portable DV10 has slipped several times, not only because of the issues of frequency drift, but because of the competition from Uniden and Icom. And while their portable models are similar in many respects to the AOR DV10, the AOR should have had the advantage. But alas, it was not to be.

Everything goes back to grade school basics--- supply & demand. Price degradation is also affected by other factors such as technological advances and product life-cycle. Interestingly, several of my friends who are in marketing classes in college, are using the issues surrounding the DV10 as basis for their term papers as an example of an unpredictable marketing failure.

Last edited:

woodpecker

The DV-10 is the best hand held wideband receiver in ANALOG that I have ever owned.

You must have owned some pretty poor receivers then, the old Icom IC-R20 blows it away in all analog areas and more importantly has no frequency error or drift!

palmerjrusa

You must have owned some pretty poor receivers then, the old Icom IC-R20 blows it away in all analog areas and more importantly has no frequency error or drift!

I wonder how my old Icom ic-r2 would stand up against the AR-DV10 on the fundamentals, that's one great little wide band receiver.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber

So go play with your ICOM then. Who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ubbe

I wonder how my old Icom ic-r2 would stand up against the AR-DV10 on the fundamentals, that's one great little wide band receiver.

The IC-R2 are super sensitive when measured connected directly to a signal generator, the most sensitive I've ever measured, but it's extremely easy to overload. Just by connecting it to a roof antenna and expose it to the real world of RF will make it drop from 0,1uV to 10uV in sensitivity, 20dB.

/Ubbe

palmerjrusa

The IC-R2 are super sensitive when measured connected directly to a signal generator, the most sensitive I've ever measured, but it's extremely easy to overload. Just by connecting it to a roof antenna and expose it to the real world of RF will make it drop from 0,1uV to 10uV in sensitivity, 20dB.

/Ubbe

I've gotten so much fun and use out of my Icom ic-r2 radio. You look at it and you wouldn't think it's capable of much with its minimal design. But looks are deceiving, performance- and feature-wise Icom stuffed this little technological marvel to the hilt. I guess expecting its front end to be able to deal with an antenna meant for a full size rig is really pushing it but for mobile use it really excels.

SigIntel8600

Premium Subscriber
The people you are misinforming will care, the AOR DV10 is a drifting mess, it is not the best analog handheld and never will be.

Never said it was the best, said it was the best that I have ever owned, it meets MY needs.
The DV-10 is doing what I need it to do. I'm not looking to misinform anyone. Someone asked my thoughts and I gave them. You have your opinion on the DV-10 and have provided many detailed posts and research that back up your opinion that the DV-10 is a "drifting mess". Good for you. I don't care. I do not need anyone's permission or approval to purchase, use, or enjoy radio equipment. So to be sure no one is misinformed based on my opinions of the DV-10, please see below.......

Dear Fellow Radio Reference Aficionados,

Do not buy (or not buy) a DV-10 based on any of my comments of this radio. Don't you dare experiment and see if this radio meets your needs. Always follow the anonymous internet group think like good little sheep. After all, woodpecker would never approve if you like the DV-10.....................SMH

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, the OP has made it very clear that he likes his DV-10 and he started this thread to alert forum readers to favorable pricing. What follows are a lot of posts basically telling the OP that he is wrong and he, or people who think like him, should have purchased a different radio. And, then we get into beating dead horses.

You all have made your points. Let the buyer beware.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Obliviate

Some are reporting the AR-DV10 has dropped to £899 ($1147.31) in the U.K.

I should perhaps apologise if this post is not appropriate too? Never mind, just put it down to it having been entered by someone who does not appreciate the difference between sense or ship.

SigIntel8600

Premium Subscriber
Found a DMR decode video posted a few days ago:

Thanks for the video John. I have decoded DMR recently. One of my uses for the DV-10 is to figure out which digital mode is being used on 2M/440 repeaters. I hear the digital buzz on my Yaesu FTM-100DR and use my DV-10 in auto mode to see if the signal is DMR or D-Star. To my surprise, my DV-10 decoded a DMR repeater and held the conversation. The DV-10 has unfortunately missed DMR signals as well that my Whistler is picking up after the DV-10 is in use for a while. This is as others have reported, due to frequency drift. I have also listened to GMRS pirates using P25 on the DV-10. That's why I like this radio, it enhances my monitoring abilities. Next, I will be shooting for the DV-1, or when I hit the lotto the 5007D.

Status
Not open for further replies.