Now On-The-Air !! Testing New Lewiston - Auburn 800 MHz TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisPrue

Not much new to report. Occasional testing and brief chat by radio techs, primarily on TG 301. I did hear them say that all sites were now operational, but I've yet to confirm anything except Goff Hill. I can also confirm that they are using P25 Phase 2.

ChrisPrue

About the same. Occasional testing here and there, but not much. Had some encrypted traffic a few days ago on TG 101 and/or 301 (I don't recall, but it was one of the two).

Krieger00

Premium Subscriber
What would be the best way to currently listen in to L/A? I’ve got SDRTrunk up and running but am currently having issues with audio. I can see data coming through, but no audio pick up yet. I’d like to avoid having to buy a pricey P25 scanner if at all possible

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
About the same. Occasional testing here and there, but not much. Had some encrypted traffic a few days ago on TG 101 and/or 301 (I don't recall, but it was one of the two).

Sounds like they are still testing. I wonder if they are going to encrypt the system when it come online. That would be a bummer.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
What would be the best way to currently listen in to L/A? I’ve got SDRTrunk up and running but am currently having issues with audio. I can see data coming through, but no audio pick up yet. I’d like to avoid having to buy a pricey P25 scanner if at all possible

I'm not sure on SDRTrunk. I dont use it and have no experience with it. Until the new system goes on line they are still running P25 conv for Lew/Aub PD. Fire for both cities can be picked up on analog conv freqs.

Krieger00

Premium Subscriber
I thought I was having audio issues, but I ended up hearing quite a few audio checks over the course of an hour or so with SDRTrunk up and running. I then tuned to the conventional P25 on 158.790 and got some chatter. I believe I'm at the edge of reception though. There weren't many calls coming through and the ones that did seemed to be broken. I'm also hoping they don't go encrypted on the new system.

ChrisPrue

Unencrypted testing (with Comm Center) yesterday on TG 501.

Given the conversation about audio decoding problems, it was interesting to note that the voice modulation (or volume, I guess?) was extremely low on some of the tests. I had to play them back and listen carefully to make sure there was actual voice there - but there was. At other times (many times, in fact), I've had a good CC signal, and there were transmissions with no actual audio on the TGs. It felt like I was just on the edge of being able to decode it, but if others are having similar problems, I wonder if it's the system itself?

Krieger00

Premium Subscriber
I noticed the same, granted I'm fairly new to this hobby. But computers can and will capture tons of data and put it into readable format, of which I'm not so new to. I noticed I had to have the volume quite high to catch voice audio checks, but for the most part it was just tons of data calls coming through. I also noticed a few encryption signals hit on SDRTrunk while whatever was going on with the system. It could be that I'm at the edge of reception, but I can't tell if it's just my antenna set up or not. I'm just using the bundled telescopic antenna and trying to gauge if I want to pursue SDR or not. I'm hoping to find out for sure whether the new L/A system will go encrypted.

ecps92

Not sure what you mean by "Universal Trunker"

The old DoS Based trunker ran on the Analog TRS Systems
You would need Uni-Trunker to run it on a P25 or Analog system now.

Is this the Universal Trunker program? I am trying to set it up for the Portland 800 system-Not having luck.

ChrisPrue

I haven't even heard testing in a while. The system is in my regular scan plan; I'll be sure to post something as soon as it becomes more active. But for now... it's pretty darn quiet.

melie

Hi fellow scannists,

My local (Lewiston, Maine) PD has gone from APCO 25 to what they’re calling an 800 system.
Is this encryption? Is there any scanner that can be purchased for an 800 system?
Thank you
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.