• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NOW....onto the other sneaky trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
So, now, finally getting the information I need for turning this 4 watt CB into a massive RF power output machine capable of steamrolling down every TV set in the neighboring State of Illinois (how's THAT for dramatics?) :) How does one weld extra channels in this thing? (I believe the ones I was told about were -1 [not sure how farbelow in frequency], 3-1/2, 11-1/2, 19-1/2, and 40+ -not sure if I forgot any...it's been awhile).

stevedogan

Banned
Yes, ME again! Lucky you.

Everybody run for cover...lol

Hey, if you ever see a mushroom shaped cloud over in Wisconsin USA, you'll know what it's from! :)

What radio and model? What's the chip number. You have to give more info b4 we tell you how to destroy your radio! or rf burn your hands or manhood...

I think I'll start with a Uniden 510 or 520. Will those work?

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
I don't have the specs with me,

but if your chip is something like the MB8419 (found in the Cobra 2000), you could go way up and way down in frequency. Open up your unit, (the radio fool, not your tool!) and see what the number is on the main chip and report back. With the numbers...

grogan

As far a a radio The Ranger 2950DX will thak you where you need to go.... Stay away from all 10 meter frquencys or the Ham opps will complain. Upper sideband lower also am fm etc. And hace them set up the variable power to 2 watts so you connect an illegal amp.

stevedogan

Banned
but if your chip is something like the MB8419 (found in the Cobra 2000), you could go way up and way down in frequency. Open up your unit, (the radio fool, not your tool!) and see what the number is on the main chip and report back. With the numbers...

"tool? You mean my screwdriver in my toolbox? I *do* have one of those fancy screwdrivers that open up with the flathead and philips head inside for safe keeping.
Actually I have to get another radio someday. I'm asking all this because I don't know if it pays to spend the extra $100+ for a Cobra GTL or....what is the name of that other radio very similar to that Cobra....or if I should just get another 510 or 520 seeing as how they seemed to get out better than the $$$$ one oddly enough.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Here's a little help for ya:

Play around with one of your radios, use a dummy load at the antennna connections of the radio, have another radio set up, also with a dummy load tuned to the channel of the radio you're working on. Tinker around with what ever coil, pot, variable cap etc. as you're keying the mic and watch the meter on the listening radio. Needle go up, down, or not move? Best to have a schematic of the radio you're butchering and learn what all those symbols are. Learn some electronics the hard way. It's good you have a sense of humor, it'll get you past the heartaches. Instead of pissing the other CBers off, learn electronics and have a ball doing the impossible. When you learn what the PLL circuit does and how to gain some extra channels up or down, you'll feel like a champ. What the ham police are telling you here is true, because a lot of CBers know nothing of what they're doing and cause headaches to the amateur operators when they go out of band into 10 meters. Most hams are really good people who Elmer lots of newbees into electronics and ham radio.
Have fun learning how your CB works; it'll cost you a radio or two or three, but it's fun. Get a basic book on electronics; learn how a jfet, ic, caps, resistors, diodes, coils, et al works. Basic book in your hands, probably will get you up and running in a few weeks IF you study.
This is the most I've posted here on RR on a subject of this nature ever! Why? Because there comes along a fellow who just might like learning the trade and become a certified tech.
And don't worry about raising a mushroom cloud over your head; Each one of us has at some point in time screwed up royally!
Word of caution: Do use dummy loads on the radios you are toying with, it'll keep you from splattering away on your neighbors tv, corded phone or what not.
What is a dummy load? Google is your friend, use it when ya don't know something...

Just found a very informative explaination and how to build a dummy load:

http://k4eaa.com/dummy.html

Last edited:

W2NJS

Another thing that helps is a general tightening inside your radio. You will find a lot of small round things, like coils of wire around a tube, inside the radio. Inside each tube is a slotted-head screw which will tend to come loose. Be sure to tighten down all of these screws as far as they'll go and then you'll be all set.

(For all of you literal-minded people, the above is intended as a joke.)

Last edited:

stevedogan

Banned
Another thing that helps is a general tightening inside your radio. You will find a lot of small round things, like coils of wire around a tube, inside the radio. Inside each tube is a slotted-head screw which will tend to come loose. Be sure to tighten down all of these screws as far as they'll go and then you'll be all set.

(For all of you literal-minded people, the above is intended as a joke.)

Hey, come on, be nice! :) Uhhh, that much I *do* know because those are the things (and every CB radio I've ever seen only has 2 of them) that I turned up even more from where my informant had them set and sizzled my 510. HOW they work is what I don't understand. By the way....what are those flat round silver colored things that look like they take a small flathead screwdriver for?

Last edited:

stevedogan

Banned
So what are those other thingies I was wondering about? -Those flat silver round ones with the flathead screwdriver hole? What do *they* tune?

K3HY

Premium Subscriber
Also if you don't have a 'dummy load' for testing the rf output, you can use a way similar to the old tongue testing 9 volt batteries.
After you key the mike, you will have a better understanding of what a real 'dummy load' actually is.

stevedogan

Banned
Oh, I know what a dummy load is, I just don't know what those flat silver things are inside.

roadranger

Those are "pots"

... or potentiometers, found in the books mentioned above. Don't "screw" with them, yet!

stevedogan

Banned
... or potentiometers, found in the books mentioned above. Don't "screw" with them, yet!

"yet"? You mean I get to experiment with those after I play with those things with the wax in and the coil around? I still don't know what they DO though.....

ipfd320

Banned
Dont use a metal screw driver when tuning things will get all screwed up on the readings----plastic tools all the way or the mushroom cloud will be in your room...lol....also if you can find magazines called SECRET C.B these really helped me thru the years with all sorts of mods and tune-ups for the older brand radios with the pll chips

stevedogan

Banned
GRRRR! :) I can't adjust them if I don't know what they do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.