Now Streaming Live - Sarpy County

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUrge

I couldn't edit the old thread title, so I thought I'd start a new one...

The stream is now active! I picked up another Pro-97 on eBay last week and got everything up and running on a spare PC. I finally got everything tweaked and sounding good today. I ended picking up a 800mhz RS antenna and putting my scanner next to the window lol, which ended up sounding the clearest.

I was/did going to stream Eppley, but I wasn't happy with the reception and antenna setup so I took it down. Plus I figure there will be a little more interest with this.

I know most of you probably are just scanning Sarpy with your own scanners, but feel free to check out the stream or pass the url along who doesn't have a scanner.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/omaha-scanner

-TheUrge

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Wow, how do you get your scanner to read "simulcast"? Mine never has said that. Can you list what TGIDs you scan? Sounds good.

TheUrge

NeFire242 said:
Wow, how do you get your scanner to read "simulcast"? Mine never has said that. Can you list what TGIDs you scan? Sounds good.

That's how they are listed in the RR Database. When I inported them into WIN97 it automatically adds that information. I am pretty much monitoring all the TGID's execpt for Public Works, School busses, etc which I locked out. I don't think too many people care about little Timmy missing the bus home. :lol:

-TheUrge

elephant

TheUrge said:
I don't think too many people care about little Timmy missing the bus home. :lol:

-TheUrge

WHAT!!!!!!! Are you crazy? Just think of the excitement we could hear when Timmy misses the bus and Lassie has to go searching for him.

Just kidding.

Seriously, the sound is excellent. I just wish the TRS in Phoenix sounded that good.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Ah ok that would explain it then because I never imported from the DB here. I was just wondering if perhaps I had missed a feature or something as to why mine never showed the display like that.

I agree, keep the jail, buses, and a few others locked out. They love to talk, and you will wind up missing out on a lot of stuff.

TheUrge

elephant101 said:
WHAT!!!!!!! Are you crazy? Just think of the excitement we could hear when Timmy misses the bus and Lassie has to go searching for him.

Just kidding.

Seriously, the sound is excellent. I just wish the TRS in Phoenix sounded that good.

Thanks... It took me forever to get the antenna situated right so I could pick up a decent signal. It still has a little fuzyness to it, but it's not too bad.

Last edited:

twister19

Severe Wx

I noticed on your website you say you change it to when severe weather is in the area, what freqs do you scan? Thanks man.

TheUrge

twister19 said:
I noticed on your website you say you change it to when severe weather is in the area, what freqs do you scan? Thanks man.

Here's what I have for now. I haven't put alot of thought into them - they were just the storm chaser freqs listed in the RR database. If anyone has any additional suggestions, let me know and I can get them added (if we ever end up having any severe weather this year lol - things have been dead so far around here)

Civil Defense 25.0 CT 127.3
REACT 25.0 CT 141.3
Storm Spotters 146.94 CT 131.8
Storm Spotters 147.0 CT 131.8
REACT 462.70 CT 141.3
NAWAS 155.745
Storm Spotters Primary 145.235
Storm Spotters Secondary 145.115

TheUrge

wb0qqk said:
I forwarded the link to a couple of friends and one can't get it to play. It shows
the Omaha Scanner window, but no scanner display or audio plays through.
Must be missing something. Any idea what program they need to install to
hear it? Thanks.

I think ustream is flash based, so they may need to update their flash plugin in their browser. Other than that it should load right up...

Have them go here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

-TheUrge

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever heard anyone talk on that civil defense freq before? Just wondering if they had ever used it cause I've never heard anyone.

Yeah for it being flash its very fast really to sit and watch the TGIDs come up and hear the audio. Very little lag time cause I thought the video would slow it down, but not at all.

Who are you streaming through a cox connection? What type of camera and software are you using?

TheUrge

NeFire242 said:
Have you ever heard anyone talk on that civil defense freq before? Just wondering if they had ever used it cause I've never heard anyone.

Yeah now that you mention it I haven't...

Yeah for it being flash its very fast really to sit and watch the TGIDs come up and hear the audio. Very little lag time cause I thought the video would slow it down, but not at all.

Who are you streaming through a cox connection? What type of camera and software are you using?

Yup just a regular residential Cox connection. The software is a flash application that ustream provides right on their webpage. You just click broadcast now and the app runs. I have this all running on a spare PC running fresh install of XP just for streaming purposes. I just use Remote Desktop to log in to it and reload the software if needed - it works out pretty well.

As far as my webcam goes, it's definitely nothing exciting - it's a Creative webcam that I picked up at Walmart on clearance for something like $18.00. I did have a Logitech before that, but the resolution was so horrible (like 250x180) that you couldn't even read the text on the scanner. So I took it back and got the Creative one. The Creative was actually cheaper and has a much better resolution (800x600).

Anyways, so far, so good.

-TheUrge

TheUrge

Since there is a threat of severe wx today, I went ahead and activated the Severe WX Bank on the scanner this morning. Give the stream a try and see what you think. I forgot to put in an alpha tag for that bank, but it should be active (bank 8)

I'm stuck at work today, so I won't be able to listen :(

-TheUrge

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
During Wed/Thr storm they set the siren off in Murray so I'm wondering how many people that woke up at 3am.

Status
Not open for further replies.