NPOTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3VEM

All,
Just did my first NPOTA activation! It was a blast, operating from Minute Man national park. I did both voice and psk and had a blast! Who all has activated parks and what were your thought? Who all is chasing? For me is was exciting being on the other side of a pile-up (granted, a small one) for the first time!

I got a photo op with a ranger too!

I wrote more about it on my blog at November 3 Victor Echo Mike - November 3 Victor Echo Mike

0daec34e4f175e52fb6a65a17cb88ac5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Glad you had fun!

I have heard a couple NPOTA stations (Listening only, mind you)....

IcomIcR20

AC2OY

Nice!!! Is that a or the "buddy pole" antenna? I have seen these in QST magazine and have always wondered how good do they really work. Can you do most HF bands with that?

N3VEM

Nice!!! Is that a or the "buddy pole" antenna? I have seen these in QST magazine and have always wondered how good do they really work. Can you do most HF bands with that?

It is a Buddiepole. -I like it for a portable antenna. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but the only downside I've had is that even though it's supposed to cover 40m - 2m depending on setup, 40 meters is a stretch with the parts for the kit I have. There are longer arms available, so that would me get me there if I order them.

Also, mine is an older model, so the mast clamping is different - it uses compression rings like you would have on the plumbing for your sink drain, and one of the clamps has worn out, so I have to wrap that one connection with coax seal or something to keep it from slipping. The newer models have a better clamping mechanism. All in all, I can't complain though, because I got mine used at a ham fest, for half the price of a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC2OY

I hear you their not cheap. I wanted to buy one and maybe use it in my backyard just to play and at field day but when I saw the price!!! Maybe someday I still would get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.