NPS and Forest Service P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisABQ

So, I've been noticing, that the parks and forest service are moving to a simplex P25 system? Are these phase 1 or 2 systems? They sound really clear and readable. Also noticed that Petroglyph NM was testing their radios today on 166.750 NAC 400.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Would be P25 Phase 1, since Phase 2 is only for Trunked Radio System.

Are you sure it's not a repeater? I know that Gettysburg is on a P25 repeater.

ChrisABQ

It very well could be on a repeater. Kirtland AFB is really the only other P25 system around here, so I have limited experience with it. Parks and forests are now switching to it as well. Much better quality audio than the AFB.

SCPD

QRT
Carlsbad NPS and White Sands NPS recently upgraded to the latest p25 vhf relm portables. Most use a repeated p25 conventional setup and can or do use simplex p25 on what they have. I do know they been playing with aes lately but mainly for admin or LE chit chat on and off. I would imagine others got the same equipment also since it all came in and was a hand in old here's the new to use from now on with latest federal lineup/zones.

FWIW I do know the NPS LE channel, not primary or what everyone falls to/uses for interop or regular park activities is strapped on all the new portables and mobiles as well as the DOI admin channel, DOI Project channel. Those are usually used for other things and LE lately has been used for LE secure off the main parks channels.

Last edited:

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
The Bandelier National Monument up near Los Alamos has been on a P25 system for several years now. It's P25 phase one and runs on repeaters and simplex.

ChrisABQ

While monitoring last night with my 436, I heard traffic stating they were leaving White Sands. I'm in Albuquerque. What kind of power are they using or is there a statewide repeater system. The audio quality was clear as could be.

SCPD

QRT
While monitoring last night with my 436, I heard traffic stating they were leaving White Sands. I'm in Albuquerque. What kind of power are they using or is there a statewide repeater system. The audio quality was clear as could be.

They can shut on or off linked repeaters. Microwave and voip can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.