NPS Carlsbad Caverns, not receiving traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkepticalEd

Premium Subscriber
ecps92
Thanks for that. I had no idea. It's been almost 15 years since I turned my scanners off. Back then, my Pro-47 and its crystals were all I needed in the house. The 560XLT was perfect for the car. I've got a lot to learn...

mass-man
I'm not sure if it's something with my 996P2 or what, but all digital comms I've heard past two days sound computer-generated, and not realistic. I'd have a bit of a time trying to identify someone by their voice. Could be something wrong with the processing on this radio. It's still within the return window, so might have to think about an exchange.

SkepticalEd

Premium Subscriber
Update on recent receptions: Heard LOTS of comms today for GUMO Bush Mountain on 169.7125, and I can confirm that RR listing is still correct. Before noon, started hearing "Alamogordo Dispatch, BLM radio service on Bush Mountain repeat" (instead of saying repeater), all on 169.7125 with 127.3 tone. Female dispatcher answered the radio techs (two different males) multiple times, and they stated each time they were doing maintenance and testing. This went on for an hour or so, but something went wrong, as they started calling Alamogordo dispatch multiple times, over another hour, and there was no answer. I had to leave and get work done, so couldn't listen further, but had multiple hits on ProScan history of 169.7125 127.3 throughout the late afternoon.

For anyone who hasn't been in this park, the only ways to get to Bush Mountain radio site is to backpack or horsepack from either Pine Springs (much shorter), or Dog Canyon. I've backpacked throughout the entire park, and it's not a cakewalk. Rocky, uneven trails most of the park. Of course, they could've been working on off-site microwave or line-controlled stations elsewhere, as well. Hopefully they got the issue resolved.

So, my summary of recent site and field surveys gives me the conclusion that GUMO has available to them (in the least) Bush Mtn repeater on analog at 169.7125 with 127.3 tone which is (or was) monitored by Alamogordo Interagency Dispatch, and 164.600 NAC4CE for local GUMO communication (which is not listed in RR database). Caverns appears to be still using the RR listed 164.600 NAC4CE for their local comms. Hope this helps.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for confirming they still use those. Alamo dispatch use to repeat the Bush traffic around their dispatch area but now only the input can be heard of dispatcher since they don't simulcast it anymore. Probably voip and microwave these days.

SkepticalEd

Premium Subscriber
Only traffic I've heard from GUMO itself was several weeks ago on Bush coordinating a night time foot investigation up the Bear Canyon trail of possible fire after a lightning storm; otherwise, just the daily simulcast at about 1745 from Alamo dispatch signing off on NPS Bush, FS Dark Canyon and BLM Queen (though Queen hasn't been on the simulcast for several days, and I think there might have been a power outage at the site, as it click-transmits every two seconds with no other traffic).

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to monitor the input and see if they can be heard (dispatch end) from the area. I know they also simulcast the sign off on Lincoln FS repeaters.

Only traffic I've heard from GUMO itself was several weeks ago on Bush coordinating a night time foot investigation up the Bear Canyon trail of possible fire after a lightning storm; otherwise, just the daily simulcast at about 1745 from Alamo dispatch signing off on NPS Bush, FS Dark Canyon and BLM Queen (though Queen hasn't been on the simulcast for several days, and I think there might have been a power outage at the site, as it click-transmits every two seconds with no other traffic).

Status
Not open for further replies.