Not open for further replies.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Here is what I have so far

PD Patrol - 6230
PD Traffic(?) - 6228
FD Alarm - 6184
FD- Ch. 2 - 6186 EMS Response
FD- Interop?- 6196 Haltom FD was calling Ft Worth FD alarm (no response)
FD- Ch.3 - 6188 Fire Response

Last edited:

6520tkp

I heard the call to switch over to digital at 10:am, I had the new p-25 amd simulcast programed in can not receive a conversation its all garbled and sounds terrible.

I notice you said p-25 layer 2.

Where is layer 2 in the data base?

Am i using the correct systems?

The talk groups I receive are in the 5000's.

Please tell what I am doing wrong.

Thank You.

6520tkp

Not receiving

Thanks for the link, I found it after my I posted the question.

I programed the frequencies and not receiving, I am getting full strength on the bar scale, using Freescan.

I know my scanner will do digital, I have another p-25 system working.

Any one with any suggestions.

Thanks.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
What scanner are you using? Where are you located?

Thanks for the link, I found it after my I posted the question.

I programed the frequencies and not receiving, I am getting full strength on the bar scale, using Freescan.

I know my scanner will do digital, I have another p-25 system working.

Any one with any suggestions.

Thanks.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Hurst is a single site system, so the scanner cannot get confused by multiple sites.

The Fort Worth system is a simulcast system where there are several transmitters sites located throughout the area that transmit the same traffic and control channel on the same frequencies at all sites.

Unfortunately, if you are between two or more of them, and the signal is about equal, there's a good chance a scanner(especially a Uniden) will not be able to decode digital, even though you have 5 bars. I'm stuck in the same situation in NE Tarrant trying to hear the Fort Worth system. At home, I work around it by using a Yagi antenna pointed at a particular site, which helps the scanner focus on just one of the signals. It's frustrating.

The common follow up question that many will ask, "How do the firefighters and police officers communicate then?" They use radios that are designed and work better, and of course cost more.

I would try moving your scanner to different areas, and maybe connecting it to a directional(Yagi) antenna, to see if that helps.

Frankly, I'd be happy to pay more for a Uniden scanner if it worked without having to mess with all of the antenna hassles, but I don't think the people at Uniden get that. It's been a known problem in other parts of the country, and now we are going to experience it first hand.

396t.

I can scan hurst, Tx p25,

Last edited:

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
This might be a bit ugly at first. We'll start getting them in there then start sorting them out.

Thanks,
Russell

K5TXC

Premium Subscriber
6520tkp, the talkgroups you are hearing are Fort Worth PD talkgroups in the 5000 range, they are encrypted and sound garbled. The talkgroups you should be listening to are in the 6000 range.

jasday

I saw that the combined cities are on layer 2, will all the other public safety (FWFD and the listed interops) be on layer 2 also?

6520tkp

I Agree

Hurst is a single site system, so the scanner cannot get confused by multiple sites.

The Fort Worth system is a simulcast system where there are several transmitters sites located throughout the area that transmit the same traffic and control channel on the same frequencies at all sites.

Unfortunately, if you are between two or more of them, and the signal is about equal, there's a good chance a scanner(especially a Uniden) will not be able to decode digital, even though you have 5 bars. I'm stuck in the same situation in NE Tarrant trying to hear the Fort Worth system. At home, I work around it by using a Yagi antenna pointed at a particular site, which helps the scanner focus on just one of the signals. It's frustrating.

The common follow up question that many will ask, "How do the firefighters and police officers communicate then?" They use radios that are designed and work better, and of course cost more.

I would try moving your scanner to different areas, and maybe connecting it to a directional(Yagi) antenna, to see if that helps.

Frankly, I'd be happy to pay more for a Uniden scanner if it worked without having to mess with all of the antenna hassles, but I don't think the people at Uniden get that. It's been a known problem in other parts of the country, and now we are going to experience it first hand.

I can not pick up any thing at my house, (that was not a problem before).
I thought I had problems with the program or elsewhere.

I can receive better mobile gong east (majority of my scanning is mobile}.
The scanner is full scale in Irving, Tx., Im lucky to get 2 bars in North Richland Hills, Tx. ???

Ben, what would you recommend for a yagi.
Do you have the link or other info. about site locations.

Thank You.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I have one of these from Scanner Master.
Indoor 700/800 MHz Yagi Directional Antenna with Desktop Stand
Not very practical for mobile scanning is it? :)

I'm attaching a map with the general locations. Ignore the purple markers, those are Arlington. So, you can see if you're in NE Tarrant area, you're going to have a tough time. I suspect many other people who are between several sites in other parts of the Tarrant county will have similar problems.

Uniden's newest scanners are slightly better with the simulcast problem, but I would hesitate to purchase another myself or recommend them currently. I can receive the Johnson county site with less trouble and more consistently than the Fort Worth Layers 1 and 2.

Good Luck & Happy Scanning!

The scanner is full scale in Irving, Tx., Im lucky to get 2 bars in North Richland Hills, Tx. ???

Thank You.

Attachments

• FWP25Sites.JPG
    FWP25Sites.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 234

6520tkp

Thank You.

Moved my outside antenna to another location with more elevation and bingo back to being full scale.

Spooky527

So how do I get the new digital freqs on my HP-1? ive checked the HP database and it still has the analogs up. thanks for the help guys.

6520tkp

Additional Talk Groups

here is what i have so far

pd patrol - 6230
pd traffic(?) - 6228
fd alarm - 6184
fd- ch. 2 - 6186 ems response
fd- interop?- 6196 haltom fd was calling ft worth fd alarm (no response)
fd- ch.3 - 6188 fire response

6214 pic
6224 talk 1
6232 patrol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.