NS frequency changes system wide

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Lots of freq. changes all over the system the past year or so, in order to concentrate coverage better. And yes, NXDN testing is in place, and has been in a lot of places. Part of the reason a lot of road freqs have changed.

160.950 is still used a lot, but it isn't the "Southern road channel" default like it once was. Used to be, you had that, and the Train / dispatch freqs in, and you were good to go.

Ten42

Danville Dispatcher (Piedmont Division running thru Danville, Va) has also changed from the original Southern Territory line up to 160.905 (AAR 53) as Channel 1 and 160.515 (AAR 27) Channel 2. So far the yard has stayed on 161.490 and their radios still have the older frequencies but limited use.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Yes, lots of NS changes. The "Rathole" (CNO&TP Second District) recently changed to AAR 31 (160.575) for channel 1 and AAR 59 (160.995) for channel 2 south of KD Tower where the CT dispatcher's territory starts. The First District portion dispatched by the Kentucky desk also recently changed to AAR 27 (160.515) for channel 1 and AAR 57 (160.965) for channel 2. Everywhere they've switched the channel 2 it's simplex and not half duplex like the old way. When all the dispatchers moved to Atlanta they consolidated a bunch of dispatching desks, and now each dispatching desk will have its own road and dispatcher frequencies.

This is a good source of NS frequencies and is updated regularly. NS Radio Frequencies - RailroadfanWiki

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I am in Lexington NC, near Spencer Yard.
North of MP 333.
This is the southern end of Danville Dispatch territory.
It is almost into Greernville dispatch territory.

In this part of NC, Channel 1 160.95 is the ROAD Channel, and the 160.245/160.830 pair is Channel 2 DISPATCH.

I am still hearing 160.245/160.830 being used to issue track warrants.
I am still hearing 160.95 being used as a Road Channel.

Is 160.515 SIMPLEX going to replace the 160.245/160.83 semi duplex pair as channel 2?

<<<Ten 42>>>>
I am NOT clear on what you mean by Channel 1 160.905, and Channel 2 160.515.

Is 160.515 going to replace the channel 2 semi duplex PAIR with one SIMPLEX channel?
Or is 160.515 going to be half of a semi duplex pair along with another channel?

Last edited:

Ten42

ai80, sorry it took so long to reply, yes they are both simplex, I can monitor from Reidsville to Lynchburg.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All,

I'm working on getting this thread made into a sticky. The radio channel changes are starting to happen faster all over the system (former N&W and CR lines as well as SOU) and it will be easier to track as a sticky.

It would be helpful if changes could be posted in the following format:

1. District name and mileposts
2. Dispatcher desk
3. Road channel and AAR channel number
4. Dispatcher channel and AAR channel number

A recent change includes:

Dayton District, west of CP-150 (Columbus) to NA Cabin (Cincinnati)
Cincinnati Dispatcher
Road 160.980 AAR 058
Dispatcher 161.475 AAR 091

I'm still searching, but I suspect the Sandusky and Columbus districts may also have changed or are about to. I'm noticing less traffic from the Kenova and Sandusky dispatchers (which can be partly blamed on PTC).

I also suspect NS might be implementing a "don't call the signals on the radio" policy on lines with PTC. Just in the last week I've noticed a dramatic drop in the number of trains calling signals hereabouts; either we have a bunch of slackers all of a sudden or a rules/policy change is afoot. Being a major safety rule this kind of surprises me, as based on the number of radio calls about non-functioning PTC I haven't exactly been dazzled by it's reliability.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know the Columbus and Sandusky Districts haven't changed.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
As far as I know the Columbus and Sandusky Districts haven't changed.

Not yet, but believe me I'm searching!!!

Possibilities to check:

Kenova DS on the Columbus District might be 160.875 which is licensed for the DS bases at both Ringgold and Summit Hill.

Sandusky DS on the Sandusky District might be 160.770 which is licensed for bases at Columbus (Joyce Ave), Ashley and Galion.

Of course, they could turn out to be something totally off the wall.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Not yet, but believe me I'm searching!!!

Possibilities to check:

Kenova DS on the Columbus District might be 160.875 which is licensed for the DS bases at both Ringgold and Summit Hill.

Sandusky DS on the Sandusky District might be 160.770 which is licensed for bases at Columbus (Joyce Ave), Ashley and Galion.

Of course, they could turn out to be something totally off the wall.
I've added those as well. Today I was still hearing Kenova on 161.190. Some lines have electronic track authorities for the maintainers, which would explain reduced chatter.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I've added those as well. Today I was still hearing Kenova on 161.190. Some lines have electronic track authorities for the maintainers, which would explain reduced chatter.

Yes, that's PTC. Only problem is it seems to not work quite a bit of the time; also, quite a few of the maintainers and track supervisors don't have it in their vehicles, so they still get their track authorities the traditional way.

trumpetman

Database Admin
It looks like the Salisbury? district in NC has changed to a simplex dispatch channel on 161.310.

Road channel is still 160.950. Not sure the mileposts without referring to the timetables but for those of you in the piedmont of NC it looks like the changes are in use between Greensboro & Charlotte. I'll take care of updating the database, just wanted to make a post and keep people in the loop.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It looks like the Salisbury? district in NC has changed to a simplex dispatch channel on 161.310.

Road channel is still 160.950. Not sure the mileposts without referring to the timetables but for those of you in the piedmont of NC it looks like the changes are in use between Greensboro & Charlotte. I'll take care of updating the database, just wanted to make a post and keep people in the loop.

Sounds good. I'm tracking these on a spreadsheet as well, and am going to put the "probables" in the Wiki until they get confirmed.

Tom

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod

Salisbury NC is at the junction of the S line and the Mainline (a.k.a. Yadkin Junction) is in the Charlotte dispatch territory.

Spencer Yard at Linwood NC (MP 323) is at the southern end of the Danville Dispatch territory.

The dividing point between these two territories is near the Yadkin River.

Is the new 161.310 dispatch channel going to be solely Simplex?

Is 161.310 going to be used on all the littles subs that come off the mainline?

How about the line between Roanoke and Pomona?

What is going to be the Dispatch channel between Tower CB (Rocky Mount) and Pomona?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Is the new 161.310 dispatch channel going to be solely Simplex?

All of the new channel alignments are simplex. NS appears to be moving away from the half-duplex Southern system, probably for reasons of safety (no one can hear both sides of the conversation except the dispatcher and whoever is at the other end).

iceman977th

Feed Provider
All of the new channel alignments are simplex. NS appears to be moving away from the half-duplex Southern system, probably for reasons of safety (no one can hear both sides of the conversation except the dispatcher and whoever is at the other end).
Smarter than the decision to change siding names because employees can't figure out cardinal directions..

Mike

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Smarter than the decision to change siding names because employees can't figure out cardinal directions.

Actually, that has to do with the dispatching software they've implemented in Atlanta. I don't know what software engineer wrote a product that is incapable of telling the difference between "East Benson" and "West Benson" (for example), but I'm reliably informed that's the reason for the switch.

But your basic point is correct; some nitwit couldn't figure out cardinal directions. Probably had to repeat third grade. . .

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Actually, that has to do with the dispatching software they've implemented in Atlanta. I don't know what software engineer wrote a product that is incapable of telling the difference between "East Benson" and "West Benson" (for example), but I'm reliably informed that's the reason for the switch.

But your basic point is correct; some nitwit couldn't figure out cardinal directions. Probably had to repeat third grade. . .
I heard it was because of numerous TA violations, but that very well could be correct too. The new names are causing quite a bit of confusion in their own right.

N4DJC

I caught the tail end of some activity on 161.310 this afternoon. I forgot to set the R30 to record :(

The dispatcher was saying something about the W line and all hell breaking loose this morning.