NS getting closer to NXDN use systemwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Excellent! I am a KW and Mot man, and the last I heard about the Icom was it would not do 12.5 on NEXEDGE. Glad to hear that has changed!

Tim-B

The other day I saw an Amtrak conductor with an Icom F3261DT hanging from his pocket. Do you know if those will do 12.5 and 6.25 or just one of them.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
On many, many of the mods NS is doing to licenses, they are REMOVING all analog emissions designators alongside the additions of the NXDN ones. This is in addition to taking fregs they no longer use off of locations. This should be a "take notice" event.

You're predicting doom and gloom and casting a really wide net of assumption there, and I think it's unjustified, for a few reasons:

1. If they've removed analog emissions but are still using the frequencies in analog mode, officially they're in violation and would be subject to fines and penalties from the FCC. NS generally isn't that dumb, especially on such a large scale.

2. The frequency you're showing as having analog emissions deleted (161.565) is a data system; from what I've been told it's their crossing protection data system and is very wide-area (I've heard the base stations all over Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, parts of Pennsylvania and Indiana). It's definitely NXDN.

3. It's highly unlikely that they would undertake a unilateral systemwide shift to NXDN. It's much more likely that they would coordinate this move with their neighbors, especially the shortlines they connect with (many of which are still using analog radios).

When the shift to NXDN comes down, it's going to be announced well in advance; one does not make a major operational change on a life-safety system like this without spreading the word a long time before it happens.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Predicting doom and gloom? Seriously? Why is this doom and gloom? If this is doom and gloom, then this entire website is the apocalypse incarnate. I used to think this place was the cat's meow. I once actually enjoyed being a member of the admin team. But if this is seriously how things are going to be here, then maybe I need to rethink actually recommending this site to everyone and promoting it still on a daily basis. Some of the more recent attitudes being displayed are on the very negative side towards users, and its beginning to put an aroma of rat, or outright feces on what used to be a shining reputation this site "had". Its not just me doing the sour grapes routine, this is starting to be a common theme on many groups on FB and other social media. Some of you folks need a vacation, or to hand over your titles to another generation of folks. I now seriously understand why folks are submitting less and less, and outright not wanting to even deal with this site any longer. I will continue to try to be of assistance as long as I can, but its starting to be a sour taste in my mouth.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
1. If they've removed analog emissions but are still using the frequencies in analog mode, officially they're in violation and would be subject to fines and penalties from the FCC. NS generally isn't that dumb, especially on such a large scale.

NS *can be* that dumb though... ;) But overall you're right!

Regards,

-Frank C.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Predicting doom and gloom? Seriously? Why is this doom and gloom? If this is doom and gloom, then this entire website is the apocalypse incarnate. I used to think this place was the cat's meow. I once actually enjoyed being a member of the admin team. But if this is seriously how things are going to be here, then maybe I need to rethink actually recommending this site to everyone and promoting it still on a daily basis. Some of the more recent attitudes being displayed are on the very negative side towards users, and its beginning to put an aroma of rat, or outright feces on what used to be a shining reputation this site "had". Its not just me doing the sour grapes routine, this is starting to be a common theme on many groups on FB and other social media. Some of you folks need a vacation, or to hand over your titles to another generation of folks. I now seriously understand why folks are submitting less and less, and outright not wanting to even deal with this site any longer. I will continue to try to be of assistance as long as I can, but its starting to be a sour taste in my mouth.

Wow, chill out! Your thread title is pretty definite and makes it sound as though the switch is closer than it probably is. I was merely pointing out reasons why it probably isn't quite so close.

Not sure where you got all the "negative toward users" stuff but you're so offended and reading more into what I said that I'd think if anybody needs to take a vacation, it's you.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
These railroads and NXDN threads always seem to head down the same track.

Person 1: "The railroads are going to start using NXDN." Which is sometimes followed by "Railfans are going to have to get NXDN-capable scanners."

Person 2: "No the railroads aren't switching to NXDN right away."

Person 3: "Well, the railroad I work for is buying NXDN radios."

Person 4: "Well, they may start using it in yards or for specialized purposes, but wholesale use across the system for train operations is a ways off."

It's really counter-productive and the arguing puts people off.

I think if we use these threads to report actual NXDN use by the railroads instead of speculating about what might or might not happen, we'll serve the forum users better.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
FWIW, I spot checked some (but not all) NS licenses in my state. I did find that NS has removed the 8K NXDN emission designator from some licenses, but still has the 11K analog and the 4K NXDN designators.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Here is a sample of whats popping.
0009597303 - NORFOLK SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY IG KUE742 MOD
Loc 1=FRANKFORT MW TOWER
...Delete freqs: 161.250, 161.550 FB
...Delete freqs: 161.250, 161.550 MO
...Mod freq: 161.565 (Delete 11K2F3E)
Loc 2=BLUFFTON MW TOWER
...Delete freq: 160.575 MO
...Delee freq: 160.575 FB
Loc 3=HARTFORD CITY MW TOWER
...Delete freqs: 160.575, 161.550 FB
...Delete freqs: 161.550, 160.575 MO
Loc 4=DELPHI MW TOWER
...Delete freqs: 160.515, 161.475 FB
...Delete freqs: 161.475, 160.515 MO
Loc 9=SIGNAL OFFICE, BLUFFTON, IN WELLS County
...Delete freqs: 161.475, 160.515 Fb
0009597302 - NORFOLK SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY IG KNFX239 MOD
LAFAYETTE MW TOWER, LAFAYETTE, IN TIPPECANOE County
...Delete freqs: 161.475, 160.515, 161.550 FB
...Mod freq: 161.115 FB 30/110w 11K2F3E, [A] 8K30F1D, [A] 8K30F1E
...Delete freqs: 160.515, 161.550, 161.475 MO

This is ongoing and rather a new development as for deleting the ANALOG portions. Norfolk Southern has been doing a lot of extensive restructuring of its lineup nationwide. Both streamlining, and getting things lined up. They join pretty much all the Class I's in this, but as far as I know are the ONLY ones popping off the analog.
Some food for thought...161.565mHz is commonly used for grade crossing on Norfolk Southern (I'm guessing some kind of data or telemetry). The other frequencies being modified or deleted outright are common ARN frequencies. 161.115mHz was the old Southern VHF EOT frequency (back when they had such things), but the frequency was licensed practically systemwide.

nsrailfan6130

Appreciate the heads up. I'll definitely be monitoring up here in Michigan and around NW Ohio. I'm kind of curious as to how this is going to play out down the road.
On many, many of the mods NS is doing to licenses, they are REMOVING all analog emissions designators alongside the additions of the NXDN ones. This is in addition to taking fregs they no longer use off of locations. This should be a "take notice" event.

Status
Not open for further replies.