NSRS and Mobile Extenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

Witnessed NHP using mobile extenders to direct traffic at an accident Friday night, using NSRS Tac-1 (05-145). This was on Mount Rose highway, just south of Reno.

Question: it occurs to me that the mobile extenders are probably on a separate, conventional frequency from the NSRS mobile input frequencies detected. Any ideas what these might be? I had Close Call enabled for VHF at the time, but didn't detect anything. Not surprising, given the volume of radio chatter.

Thank you!

Dave

TOUGHLIFE

As far as I know they do not use mobile extenders operating on a different band. Most likely on their 800 MHz handheld radios they have the basic talk groups used by NHP in the State and also the conventional 800 MHz mutual aid freqs. which they can talk among themselves in the simplex mode.

nhp9943

No extenders are in use on NHP vehicles anymore. What you saw was a fully functioning "portable"

Dave_D

No foolin'! I wouldn't have thought this from its size. Looked every bit like a traditional mobile extender. Very nice.

Thank you for the info.

Dave

ps. Two days earlier, I was riding with a former NV police chief when we saw NHP pull over what appeared to be a 90-year-old lady and not walking distance from the station. Rather than approach the driver, he stands behind the car and radios for backup. I'm sure he had his reasons, but the look on the chief's face was hilarious. "Must be a new guy...." :-D

nhp9943

Well all I can say is there have been some crazy old ladies try to kill officers before. Eulia Love was one example in Los Angeles. She challenged LAPD officers with a steak knife after the gas company shut off her gas for non payment and tried to kill the gas company employee. She is now under six feet of dirt after that incident.

Link to Story:

http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/archives/Jun99/0149.html

Status
Not open for further replies.