NSRS Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Can someone explain the huge number of changes shown for this system posted in the last 24 hours? The report tab doesn't provide any useful information as it says things such as Site 105 changed to Site 105. Have any frequencies been changed? I would like to know as I have a couple dozen of these sites programmed into my mobile and handhelds scanners in my two Nevada files. Do I need to go through each site and change some frequencies?

BJ_NORTON

I think that may be my fault. I submitted GPS coordinates for many sites back in July, and they just got added. If you look at the map each site that has been changed is now located where it is supposed to be. Before all sites for the NSRS were located in the geographic center of Nevada and had a range of 300+ miles.
I was programming my 996xt for a trip and wanted to try out the gps aided scanning. That's when I noticed all the GPS coordinates were way off. I did quite a bit of research to find valid GPS locations, and also the licenses so I could program my scanner. I figured I should share. Kinda surprised it took so long though! I submitted this back in July!

SCPD

QRT
That makes sense. The reports of changes are non-specific enough for certain modifications that you have no idea what has been changed.

In looking at the sites in the system I'm surprised that no one has reported the control frequencies for so many of them. I guess we don't have many members living in the more remote locations in Nevada. I'm surprised that urban members haven't monitored those sites and reported on them while traveling.

As for the urban members greatly outnumbering the rural members I was surprised at the results of the last census indicating that 85% of the nation lives in metropolitan areas. When I first moved to the hinterlands in 1978 30% still lived in rural areas. I thought all us baby baby boomers and hippies were moving to rural areas but I guess they either moved back or the trend wasn't significant. Prior to 1978 I lived in a town of 20,000 people and didn't consider that the "hinterlands." I don't call it a small town until it is under 1,000.

BJ_NORTON

I'm not surprised that none of the control channels have been marked, or that the urban city dwellers haven't been out to monitor any of those sites. Listening to the scanner is fun, but would you drive 3, 4, or more hours to monitor a trunking system that gets very little use?

I spent a July and August last year driving through a lot of these very small remote towns for work. I had the scanner on, but heard little. It may be that the frequencies listed were wrong, or that there just wasn't any traffic on them. The one day that I drove through the most remote cities every other week I was kept very busy. As a truck driver I'm only allowed to be on duty 14 hours a day, and it was always a struggle to drive, make my deliveries, and finish under the 14 hour rule. I didn't have time to stop and play with the radios much if at all. They have changed the delivery schedule now, and next time I get sent up that way I'll have to do some more research.

com501

In EDACS, any channel can be the control channel. All that matters is the site number and LCN in the radio.

SCPD

QRT
I'm not surprised that none of the control channels have been marked, or that the urban city dwellers haven't been out to monitor any of those sites. Listening to the scanner is fun, but would you drive 3, 4, or more hours to monitor a trunking system that gets very little use?

I spent a July and August last year driving through a lot of these very small remote towns for work. I had the scanner on, but heard little. It may be that the frequencies listed were wrong, or that there just wasn't any traffic on them. The one day that I drove through the most remote cities every other week I was kept very busy. As a truck driver I'm only allowed to be on duty 14 hours a day, and it was always a struggle to drive, make my deliveries, and finish under the 14 hour rule. I didn't have time to stop and play with the radios much if at all. They have changed the delivery schedule now, and next time I get sent up that way I'll have to do some more research.

I understand what you are saying. I've barely been able to participate here because of family obligations. I've been laid up with an injury for a couple of weeks, allowing me to spent some time here. However, if I did have the time I would drive into remote areas to explore and to listen to the scanner. But then I love remote places and not everyone does.

The reason I would like to see more of the control channels identified is the very point BJ_NORTON raised, has the site been monitored to make sure it works the way it is listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.