NSRS System Status on Route 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

Ran my BCT15 on a trans-Nevada trip this weekend, Route 50 from Carson to Ely and back again. Took notes:

1.) Verified use of the Nevada Shared Radio System by Police/Sheriff and Highway Patrol at these as-yet unverified sites:

• Austin
  • Ely
  • Ely East
  • Ely West
2.) Verified use of conventional frequencies at these locations:

• Elko County (154.7925 and/or 155.5275)
  • Lander County (154.665)
  • White Pine County (154.815 and/or 154.935)
These overlap verified NSRS sites, indicating dual useage by police & highway patrol in some locations. Also, we did scan for the respective input frequencies but heard none.

3.) On NSRS, unexpected talkgroup IDs were discovered everywhere. For example:

• Fallon/Fairview - 02-026 ("Sheriff, Washoe County - Yellow/Incline Village")
  • Fallon/Fairview - 05-142 ("Highway Patrol, Reno 2")
  • Eureka West - 05-103 ("Sheriff, Washoe County")
  • Ely - 05-103 ("Sheriff, Washoe County")
  • Ely - 10-003 ("Highway Patrol, Elko")
  • Ely - 05-101 ("Highway Patrol, Elko (Ch. 1?)")
In fact, the Washoe Sheriff talkgroup (05-103) was so pervasive as to be annoying. Might this TID be misidentified in the RRDB? Chatter suggests it is indeed a Sheriff's channel, but perhaps not specific to Washoe?

Being that I'm still a scanner newb, I didn't want to submit these updates to the RRDB without first sharing for discussion. Any thoughts?

Dave

e63

Last week drove over to Ely via Hiway 50. Lost the NSRA edacs at Fallon. The rest of the way heard the VHF system. It appears to be operating in conventional mode. In Ely heard two edacs data channels listed in the data base for Ely. However could not figure out LCN. Found a link 460.55 in Ely repeating the VHF single channel and edacs. The edac transmission was delay relative to the VHF and the link. Came back Ely, Wells, Reno and back to the SF Bay Area. Any suggestion re LCNs or just trial and error method.

sigint1

Was: joking
I suspect that 05-103 is definately mis id'd in the RRDB - I have never seen that ID come up on the Washoe EDACS system and the ID's used when the interface in connected with the NSRS so far has always been the same - IE if the id is NN-XXXX on the Washoe system it is the same when they interface with the NSRS - as frequently mentioned I have heard NHP from all over the state at various times - for a while the Reno center was didpatching Las Vegas P&P units. they can just about patch anything to anywhere on that system. - The Reno center should be closing withing the next few weeks - I don't know how that may affect the allignment - but there may be a few days of various patches while the new comm center comes online - Joe

TOUGHLIFE

NSRS TG ID 05-103 is known at "Elko 3" and is assigned to the NHP Communications Center in Elko.

Dave_D

Until NSRS is fully adopted, I'd really like to add those legacy VHF frequencies to the RRDB.

Does anybody have a list? I found this NV HAZMAT Emergency Plan, which contains a slew of familiar NHP frequencies. Question is, does this represent a comprehensive list of only NHP frequencies? For all I know, some are DOT.

BJ_NORTON

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I drove up to Elko from Vegas, through Wells, and then back again through Carlin-Eureaka-Ely. I was able to monitor the NSRS the entire trip on EDACS. I mapped out most of the frequencies, but I'm still missing too many to submit to the Db, and I need to put the freqs with the site. But, the point is it was there the entire trip. some places the EDACS system simulcasted what VHF was transmitting, sometimes EDACS just had out of area audio, while VHF was Txing local stuff, and a few places where I was only able to snag a CC and 1 voice channel that had 2 way conversations, but never rotated freqs. I'll get off my butt and work on getting this posted in the next few days, so some of you others can look at what I logged.:lol:

SCPD

QRT
Dave_D said:
Until NSRS is fully adopted, I'd really like to add those legacy VHF frequencies to the RRDB.

Does anybody have a list? I found this NV HAZMAT Emergency Plan, which contains a slew of familiar NHP frequencies. Question is, does this represent a comprehensive list of only NHP frequencies? For all I know, some are DOT.

Thanks for the link to this plan. I was assuming that NV DOT had abandoned all their VHF frequencies which were in the 151 MHz range for the repeater outputs. What leads you to believe that DOT might be using some of what is listed?

The frequencies on the list match what I can hear from my home and what I've heard in some travels. In particular I can hear what is called TV Hill near Hawthorne in Mammoth and the traffic seems to be simulcast on several repeaters.

Dave_D

Exsmokey said:
What leads you to believe that DOT might be using some of what is listed?

The frequency tables are labelled vaguely, "DPS Regions." But DPS contains several agencies.... This is all I could find in the document to suggest who the listed frequencies belong to:

"The Highway Patrol, along with the Dept. of Transportation operates a statewide radio communications network and has available portable radios for on-scene use."

I was hoping that somebody with more background in this (actually, I have none, so "more" is irrelevant) could clarify that these are (or are not) NHP freqs. Once confirmed, I'd be happy to submit the lot to RRDB. I'd prefer to include FCC license and lat/long location data, but this is a big job for one person. Perhaps we could form a possy and farm this out.

joen7xxx

Elko Number

The frequency shown for Gringstone", (should be Grindstone), 154.665 is the current vhf frequency that simulcasts the trunked system near the Carlin Tunnel.

Dave_D

NHP Conventional Frequencies

Okay, I put the frequencies from the Hazmat report into a spreadsheet (see attachment) and checked each against the FCC database. Surprisingly, almost all of the freqs check out. Colors indicate corrections to the original Hazmat report: gray = expired; orange = questionable (see notes); green = new addition.

I'm still concerned that this data was already published on RR but perhaps pulled prematurely in anticipation of the NSRS. A couple of web sites list a few of these frequencies and credit RR with input. [?!] If so, I've duplicated a lot of effort.

Again, I'd appreciate any feedback/corrections before submitting the lot to RRDB. Please take a look!

Thank you.

Dave

Attachments

• Scanner Frequencies (NHP Conventional).zip
    12.7 KB · Views: 67

SCPD

QRT
Dave_D said:
"The Highway Patrol, along with the Dept. of Transportation operates a statewide radio communications network and has available portable radios for on-scene use."

I think this is referring to NSRS as I'm pretty sure DOT gave up their VHF frequencies to be used in the now famously defunct statewide VHF trunked system. DOT used to have an interesting system that was a hybrid VHF High/VHF Low. It is my impression that they abandoned all of it in favor of the NSRS and provided much of the early on impetus for implementing the NSRS.

Okay, I put the frequencies from the Hazmat report into a spreadsheet (see attachment) and checked each against the FCC database. Surprisingly, almost all of the freqs check out. Colors indicate corrections to the original Hazmat report: gray = expired; orange = questionable (see notes); green = new addition.

I'm still concerned that this data was already published on RR but perhaps pulled prematurely in anticipation of the NSRS. A couple of web sites list a few of these frequencies and credit RR with input. [?!] If so, I've duplicated a lot of effort.

Again, I'd appreciate any feedback/corrections before submitting the lot to RRDB.

I don't believe you have duplicated anything. A few years back the RR database had a listing of the DPS statewide VHF trunked system as implemented and proposed. I still have a copy somewhere, but it was not kept up to date as I recall. This after the FCC debacle caused suspension of further implementation and abandonment of much of this system. You have captured the portion of that old list, which I don't believe is still available on the database, and brought it up to date. The old list showed sites proposed and in use without licenses as the state did not have licenses for quite a bit of the old system. In addition the old list contained many sites where the specific location was not identified because, given the lack of licensing, there wasn't any lat/long information .

You have done a great job of summarizing the present situation as far as what is licensed and where the the sites are. I can confirm that as of a couple of weeks ago the site you list as TV Hill (Corey Peak), in Mineral County, was still in use and simulcasting from other areas of the state. Both the frequency for the primary and the CTCSS tone listed are correct. I"m surprised it was licensed as it is the simplex frequency for the Mono County Department of Public works and it interferes with them. They don't seem to be using any tone protection so I don't know how they live with it. I haven't had much time to listen to it in detail as I've been busy since May taking advantage of the many activities one can participate in outside while it is not winter. After a wonderful, long fall, it looks like winter is trying to get its nose in the door today and I will return to indoor activities more often, which includes the intense listening, research, and programming portions of the radio hobby.

I can't pick up the data channel for the NSRS TV Hill site from here, but once I travel north to the Mono Lake basin it booms in up there. I haven't heard any NHP traffic over it but I haven't had the chance to listen to it much as I'm usually just passing through.

The site shown as Pine Nut in Douglas or Lyon County was working as of a year ago. I have tried listening to the NSRS on that site and haven't heard anything, but again, I'm usually only passing through when in its reception area.

Thank you very much for your work! I'm saving a copy of the spreadsheet to my files and when I get out and about in Nevada I plan to utilize it. I think you should submit it to the RR database.

Dave_D

Exsmokey said:
I think you should submit it to the RR database.

Done. I've submitted the whole lot from page #1 to RRDB, with a recommendation to review the Caliente and Tempiute sites by someone with more experience, being that their location data doesn't quite jive.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my spreadsheet. I'm glad it's helpful and very happy to hear that my efforts weren't wasted.

Dave

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Dave_D said:
Done. I've submitted the whole lot from page #1 to RRDB, with a recommendation to review the Caliente and Tempiute sites by someone with more experience, being that their location data doesn't quite jive.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my spreadsheet. I'm glad it's helpful and very happy to hear that my efforts weren't wasted.

Dave

I'm impressed with the job you did, and this information doesn't even pertain to me as I'm 1200 miles away.

Good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.