NSW GRN gone dead

richad

Feed Provider
Hi,

I noticed this afternoon at about 6pm (4/11/22)my ubct536pt stopped picking up transmissions.Nothing has been changed?

my worst fear is that they locked us out for good? Can anyone shed some light on this? It’s driving me mad.

I don’t have a problem receiving the GRN on my 536-pt at anytime of the day or night. All EMS At night it.does quiet down but still plenty to receive. I don’t live far from the GP Tower.

richad

Feed Provider
Thanks everyone,
This is what I did:
Re-wrote the database to update all control channels
Took the antenna down, cleaned the connectors exported to elements. Reinforced the antenna. Shortened the Bnc cable running to the scanner.
Then I factory reset the scanner and re-uploaded the new database.
So far, it’s runners well and I resumed streaming to YouTube and Broadcastify. Sadly I might leave Broadcastify soon. But that’s another story.

thanks again for suggestions and information.

I have another question, the 396T no longer works with the GRN due to Phase II. Am I wrong?

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the GRN trunking currently works with P25 II and the 396T only receives APCO 25. I don’t know if they are compatible.

nd5y

A BCD396T will receive P25 phase I control channels.
It can only receive phase I talkgroups.
Some systems have mixed phase I and phase II talkgroups.
If any the talkgroups are phase II then it won't be able to receive them.
If you hold on the control channel and watch the display it will show active talkgoups (both phase I & II)
So if you see talkgroup IDs but can't receive anything then it either means the talkgroups are phase II or encrypted (or both).

There are at least two new (built in 2021) P25 phase II systems in the US that are using "new" phase II TDMA control channels.
I haven't heard of any existing systems being upgraded. I don't know how old GRN is or if it has been upgraded recently.
No currently manufactured scanners that I know of can receive phase II TDMA control channels.

richad

Feed Provider
Hm thanks for that information. So much to learn and I love learning about this. The reason I asked, I live in Sydney, NSW in the south west and its reception has gone to 0. I spent days programming it with different talk group ids and control channels but received nothing at all. Any conventional system will be received no problem. I gave up after a few days. I wonder if I should try again. It’s old but a good scanner.

Xplorer00

Premium Subscriber
NSW GRN is not dead. Most TG's are Phase I, very few are Phase II at the moment. Your 536 is Phase I & II compatible.

Q's to you:
1. What site are you listening to?
2. What freq's are entered in your site
(i.e. do you just have the CC; or CC and ACC; or all freq's from the site...)?

If you only have the CC or CC and ACC, then it's possible the site you are listening to has changed frequencies.

cherubim

Hm thanks for that information. So much to learn and I love learning about this. The reason I asked, I live in Sydney, NSW in the south west and its reception has gone to 0. I spent days programming it with different talk group ids and control channels but received nothing at all. Any conventional system will be received no problem. I gave up after a few days. I wonder if I should try again. It’s old but a good scanner.

Try backing up your programming, re-format your microSD card then upload your programming again. SD cards can cause weird behaviour in scanners if there is some corruption.

Also try adjusting the P25 threshold setting in Sentinel for the various control channels you have programmed.

Oh_Wells

Premium Subscriber
NSW GRN is not dead. Most TG's are Phase I, very few are Phase II at the moment. Your 536 is Phase I & II compatible.

HI mate,
Sorry to hijack but we've got a UD BCD996XT in the Sutherland area that has decided to stop working entirely, around 6-8 months ago (RFS Station). I'm trying to resurrect it, but wondering if we're running into some of these issues? I don't think this scanner is Phase 2 compatible?