NSW Lightning warning system

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

Give 138.300 a listen. My scanner has stopped here before but only yesterday have I heard voice. It's a recording that provides the current lightning condition.
It starts with a 1121Hz tone followed by a message I can't make out fully. "Condition code all clear. This is the NSW's ?????????? lightning warning system. The current condition code is all clear."

richardbritt

Database Admin
Where were you when you heard this? It's posted on a Virginia scanner forum so I assume it is in Virginia somewhere. Thanks

freqhopping

That's in the aircraft band, so there's a good chance it is focused on aviation. And is it NSW or NWS?

This is above the civil aviation band. The military uses 138-144.
Lightningwarning.mp3

I just figured out what I couldn't understand before. IHEOD
It's the Naval Surface Warfare Center Indian Head EOD technology division. I figured it had to with one of the NSWCs along the Potomac.

Maybe some of the other facilities like Dahlgren or the Norfolk area have the same system.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It's listed as paging --

Hmmm. Too far for me to monitor, but "paging" assumes the RRDB channel tag / description is correct. The way it's listed, it looks like a channel number in a radio.

Rrocketguy

Used to visit both Indian Head and Yorktown as a vendor in the '90's but never got involved with range safety.
Both places use materials that have to be handled safely, and the USN is all over static electricity/ lightning safety.
Are there automated systems that change the message as needed, or is there an operator involved?

Freqhopping- I couldn't hear the MP3 file- prolly my issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.